Often the problems that occur in life are not quick and easy puzzles to solve. It is difficult at times to know where to even start with the problem solving. This exercise will help you find clarity for such difficult situations. It only takes a few minutes a day to perform.
This exercise was developed using a clear sphere. The symbolic association of clarity is important in this exercise. Using a sphere that is clear and without distraction will be most useful. Other than the sphere, you will need a quiet place where you will not be disturbed for 5-15 minutes.
1. The first step is to make a visualization of your problem. Example: Let's say that your co-worker, Bob, owes you money. But Bob always either has an excuse or successfully avoids contact with you. Due to the politics at work, you have to be nice to Bob. In this case, you might make a picture in your mind of Bob, at work, with his back to you, greedily clutching your money and looking over his shoulder towards you.
2. Let go of the emotional attachement to the image. This can be a challenge at first. (In our example, Bob has been a real jerk. But when using the visualization of Bob we have to let go of our anger and frustration and just see a guy with his back to us who owes us money.) Work to eliminate emotional content from your visualization.
3. Sit comfortably with your sphere in gazing position.
4. Begin your breathing as you gaze:
Inhale on a count of four.
Hold the breath in on a count of two.
Exhale on a count of four.
Hold out on a count of two before inhaling again.
Repeat. You will maintain this breathing for the the whole exercise. (It becomes second nature with just a little practice.)
5. Project your visualization of the problem into the sphere. Work at maintaining your detached visualization while you gaze. Just see it as a picture in the sphere. As it becomes a steady image, notice the different parts of the image. Be aware of any changes that occur in the image.
Continue for 5 to 15 minutes.
6. Cleanse. You can either do this practically by going to the sink and splashing your face with water or ritually by washing your hands in a bowl of scented water. The point is to make an outward, visible sign of cleansing yourself of the visualization.
Do this daily for nine days or until the problem is solved. If after nine days the problem still exists. wait three days before you continue. If this is the case, be sure to refine and perfect your visualization.
This exercise can manifest results in different ways.
* One can occur while your are gazing. If this happens you will have an idea or insight into the problem that will snap you out of your gaze. You will know it because it is typically a surprising experience or awareness.
* Another way that this occurs is while you are away from your gazing session. An answer or insight to your problem will present itself to you from seemingly out of nowhere.
* Sometimes the work you put into the gazing actually begins to create a solution to to your problem. A chain effect of intention and action occurs and the problem is solved.