FHAAN Link

A News Service of The AIDS Institute for
the Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network (FHAAN)

In This Issue
What is FHAAN?
Network Meetings
ADAP
Legislative Session
Funding
DOH Reorganization
Medicaid Reform
Special Thanks
Recent Events
Upcoming Events
Informational
Monthly Poll
Chair Spotlight
Member Spotlight
Partner Spotlight
Operating Documents
Communications
Committee Chairs
Newsletter Feedback
2000 S Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
202.835.8373
Fax: 202.835.8368

17 Davis Boulevard
Suite 403
Tampa, FL 33606
813.258.5929
Fax: 813.258.5939

TAI Agency Logo 2
Social Media Links
Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View our profile on LinkedIn

View our videos on YouTube
Join Our List
Join Our Mailing List
Share this Newsletter

March 2012
Network
Greetings!

Welcome to your monthly newsletter on the Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network (FHAAN). We encourage you to read further and learn more about The AIDS Institute's FHAAN program, services and resources.
What is the Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network?
FHAAN Logo The AIDS Institute's Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network (FHAAN), is the statewide effort comprised of people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA's), community advocates, HIV/AIDS and industry professionals, and anyone wanting to be involved to coordinate HIV advocacy efforts for all Floridians living with HIV and AIDS.
FHAAN's mission is to   advocate for statewide HIV/AIDS resources including education, policies, programs, funding and legislation.
Network Meetings
Recent Meeting Notes:
AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)

On the ADAP Waiting List as of March 15, 2012:

* Florida: 602 Individuals (16% of national total)
* US: 3,840 individuals in eleven (11) states

FADAP Logo (pill)HAAN TAKES ACTION!

During this past legislative session, thousands of Florida HIV/AIDS advocates were asked by FHAAN to write the House and Senate health budget chairs and their conferees.

The first letter was from constituents of Senate Chair Joe Negron thanking him for his proposed increase of $5 million for ADAP. The second Letter was from constituents of House Chair Matt Hudson encouraging him to increase his proposed $0 ADAP funding to match Senator Negron's $5 million Senate proposal. The third and final letter was to constituents of the seventeen House and Senate Health Budget conferees to encourage their chairs to support Senate Chair Negron's $5 million.

As a result of these FHAAN member's emails to these legislative leaders, the House increased their proposal to include $2.5 million dollars in recurring ADAP funds! Many thanks to all our FHAAN members and 2012 legislative session constituents who took action and helped us receive $2.5 million dollars of recurring funds to our state's ADAP program.

Related Articles:

Click here: Florida's AIDS drug program has the longest waiting list in the U.S. | Florida Independent

Editorial: Fix Fla. AIDS wait debacle, Written by [email protected]

2012 Florida Legislative Session
Senate Accepts House $2.5 million Offer for ADAPFL Legislature 2012
From recurring General Revenue, which means the Florida Department of Health (DOH) gets it this year on July 1st and the baseline start-up for next year's budget-making process includes an increase of $2.5 million, and so on, year to year, unless they reduce it.  We can't remember a time when ADAP has ever gotten an increase as a bump issue.
Funding

ADAP: Wait list under 800 patients. We will wipe out wait list if we get anticipated funds. ADAP wait list will be fluctuating until we can take everyone off the list.

ADAP Emergency Funds (President Obama's World AIDS Day 2011.12.01 announcement): DOH has had correspondence with Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), application process is in the mail. July 1st, 2012 award date.

Part A
:
Part A: Grantees will be Receiving fiscal year 2012 funding award notices on or around March 1st.  FHAAN will be gathering the award amounts by all metropolitan areas to determine increases and/or decreases.

Part B
: Few weeks away from awards
.

Part C
: No additional funds.

AICP
: Wait list was cleared from 2011 grant award-close to 400 patients were brought into application process, some were brought into Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP). Health Council of South Florida (HCSF) is doing a cost benefit analysis to determine what can be done on April 1st when grant award is awarded
.

PCIP: Pilot program using HCSF to examine the cost and benefits to determine effectiveness. Started a slow pilot stage for PCIP - about 20 persons to determine what type of expansion can be done in April 2012.

Department of Health Reorganization
FL DOH Logo

As the Legislature OKs HB 1263 on the final day of session, county health departments aren't cut loose, but A.G. Holley State Hospital is.
The Current: Morning Edition for Monday (3/12/12)

By Carol Gentry, 03/09/12 � Health News Florida

By Carol Gentry, 02/21/12 � Health News Florida

Medicaid Reform

Statewide Medicaid Managed Care
Updated Information Now Available Online

Additional information has been posted regarding the SMMC program.

From time to time during program development and implementation, the Agency will post guidance statements to provide the public with clarification regarding program components. The statements are located at the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care website. Click on the "Public Information" tab, then the "Guidance Statements" tab to view the documents.

Additional documents have been posted regarding negotiations with federal CMS on the 1115 waiver request to implement the Managed Medical Assistance component of the SMMC program.

To learn more about this program, visit website http://ahca.myflorida.com/Medicaid/statewide_mc/index.shtml

Medicaid Shift Could Face Unexpected Delay

Florida's overhaul of the Medicaid system likely will take longer than expected, with some beneficiaries not enrolled in HMOs or other types of managed-care plans until 2015, according to a revised state timeline.
Read more by Clicking Here

Medicaid Waiver Final Rule
The final rule by CMS was placed on display at the Federal Register, and can be found at:
For more information, please see:

MACPAC (Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission) came out with a new report this week:
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/Assets/pdf/CH78650315.PDF
Chapter 1 of the report focuses on Medicaid beneficiaries w/disabilities.  Two things of particular note: the report includes results of a survey of quality measures (above and beyond the HHS set of core set of quality measures) that Medicaid managed plans are using, including several HIV measures (see page 77).  The report also includes list of Medicaid optional benefits (including several HIV-specific benefits, e.g., HIV testing and targeted case management).  I think this will be useful for both current and future Medicaid advocacy efforts.

Medicaid improvements in the Affordable Care Act
http://www.medicaid.gov/Federal-Policy-Guidance/Downloads/REG-03-16-12.pdf
Affordable Care Act will ensure health coverage for millions of Americans.
States to receive federal funding to provide high-quality, affordable coverage.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced final policies that will ensure that millions of uninsured Americans will have a simple, seamless path to affordable health insurance coverage.
"The Medicaid improvements in the Affordable Care Act will help simplify the system and ensure all Americans have the affordable high-quality coverage they need," said Secretary Sebelius.

Medicaid Watch Report - March 1, 2012 (Florida)
The Florida legislature (R) got a waiver to move patients (a court order so far lets them opt out) into for-profit managed care; but at first it did so in only 5 counties. It's still planning to expand the waiver into other counties (starting with the aged & disabled & adding others later. HHS approved expansion to more counties- but only if 85% (not just 65%, as the state allowed) of premiums go to care & quality upgrades and plans must meet the needs of 98.5% of  enrollees & keep cost- sharing below regular Medicaid ceilings The legislature & Gov Scott (both R) plan to cut MD fees, slash Medicaid costs $1.8 billion, make almost all Medicaid patients pay $10 monthly premiums & charge $100 co-pays for non-emergency ER visits (but CMS just rejected both charges). The state cut the aged/disabled level from 88% to SSI's $698 mo rate, except for those in HCB waivers or in Medicare's 2 yr disabled waiting period. The parent level is 20%/ 58% wkg ('12) & CHIP's is 300%. The state covers dentures (but little other adult dentistry), hearing aids & some autism care. Blue Cross & the Dade Co. Health Dept sponsor cheap & lean "Miami-Dade Blue" policies with no brand Rx benefit. Ex-Gov Crist dropped hospice care and cut dialysis, mental health & substance abuse funding & MD fees. 19,000 are on HCB & home care waiting lists & advocates sued to force more home & HCB spending. Yet a GOP-run legislative panel refused a $37 million extra US grant to fund more HCB slots. Crist made insurers sell Medigap policies nearly as fairly to the dis-abled as to the aged. Miami's Jackson Mem Hosp has rising deficits, closed 2 O/P clinics & 2 transplant units & ended di-alysis for 175 indigents (many are illegals). ADAP cut its formulary & its waiting list is 1,085. New funds ended the HIV health insurance premium pay program waiting list of 378 & it's again open to new clients. Neither it nor ADAP have as-set tests & their income levels are 400%. Scott named a panel to plan to change, cut or end taxes by the 20 hospital dis-tricts that help pay the state's Medicaid matching share & uncompensated care & seeks $66 million in hospital rate cuts.
Thomas P. McCormack, Editor
Special Thanks
Tom Liberti to Retire this Month

FHAAN and The AIDS Institute thank Tom Liberti, Chief of the Bureau of HIV/AIDS, for his years of leadership and commitment to the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Mike & Tom
Michael Ruppal and Tom Liberti

Post your personal thanks and best wishes to Tom (and read other supporter's posts) for all his great work, at:
Recent Events
Reflections on Positive Living 15:
http://on.fb.me/zWIutS
http://on.fb.me/wTTNDB

Media Coverage of the "Faces of HIV" mobile display:
"Traveling Florida Exhibit Aims to Promote Awareness of HIV/AIDS"
Outlet: Daytona Beach News Journal / Go386
Publish Date: February 2, 2012
Link:
http://www.go386.com/culture/2012/02/traveling-florida-exhibit-aims-to-promote-awareness-of-hivaids.html

"Faces of HIV"
Outlet: WOFL-TV
Air Date: February 2, 2012
Link:
http://broadcast.burrellesluce.com/downloads/WOFL_2-2-2012_900.htm

"Faces of HIV"
Outlet: WFTV-TV
Air Date: February 2, 2012
Link:
http://broadcast.burrellesluce.com/downloads/WFTV_2-2-2012_1700.htm

"Faces of HIV Exhibit to Come to UCF"
Outlet: Central Florida Future
Publish Date: February 3, 2012
Link:
http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/news/faces-of-hiv-exhibit-to-come-to-ucf-1.2693498

"Culture Worthy of Your Calendar"
Outlet: East Orlando Sun
Publish Date: February 3, 2012
Link: http://www.eosun.com/news/2012/feb/01/cul/

"UCF Student Tells Her Story for Florida's Faces of HIV Exhibit"
Outlet: Orlando Sentinel
Publish Date: February 4, 2012
Link:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-02-03/health/os-hiv-florida-20120203_1_progression-from-hiv-infection-debbie-tucci-aids-program-coordinator

"Hispano cuenta su historia para ayudar"
Outlet: El Sentinel
Publish Date: February 4, 2012
Link:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/elsentinel/orl-es-vih-02032012,0,6290096.story
Upcoming Events
FTAI Logo (Color)lorida Patient Care Planning Group Meeting (PCPG)
When: March 20-21, 2012
1pm-5pm on March 20th, and 8:30am-12:30pm on March 21st
Where: Embassy Suites Tampa-Brandon
10220 Palm River Road, Tampa, Florida 33619, 813-653-1905
Should you have any questions or require additional information, please contact Michelle Scavnicky at 813.258.5929 or email [email protected].

A Provider's Guide to Sustainability & Reimbursement
When: Thursday, March 22, 2 p.m. ET (60 minutes)
Florida Dept. of Health - Expanded Testing Initiative
Dear Healthcare Providers:
A gentle reminder to mark your calendar for the online presentation of the clinical tool, A Provider's Guide to Sustainability and Reimbursement of HIV Testing in Florida Health Facilities scheduled for March 22, sponsored by the Florida Department of Health-Bureau of HIV/AIDS and presented by the Florida/Caribbean AIDS Education and Training Center.
Where: Conference Call and Web Presentations -
To join the Web portion:
Please click the following link:http://aetc.adobeconnect.com/fcaetc
Select to enter as a GUEST, type in your name and click 'enter room.'
To join the Audio portion:
Dial: 1-888-808-6959
Enter Conference Code: 97443049856

Diamonds and Denim Fashion Show and HIV Awareness
When: Sat Mar 24 6pm - 9:30pm Eastern Time
Where: Jacksonville Marriott 4760 Salisbury Road Jax FL 32256
It is with great pleasure that PS Management invites you to the 2nd Annual Diamonds and Denim Fashion Show hosted by R&B artist "Tank". The spectacular event will be held at the Jacksonville Marriott on March 24, 2012. In doing so, we are requesting your organizations and company support by attending or becoming on of our sponsors. Last year, the show attracted 100 businesses and organizations, boasting an audience of over 1100 attendees. Our first show garnered the support of several well-known designers, entertainers, and affluent audience members. PS Management is set to launch "I've Got You Covered," a campaign dedicated to raising HIV/AIDS awareness in the Jacksonville community. HIV/AIDS is an epidemic that affects people of all lifestyles regardless of race, gender, social class or sexual preference. The purpose of the PS Management campaign is to provide education and prevention tools about HIV/AIDS, as this is a global issue that plagues thousands right here in the River City. Through various events, PS Management plans to achieve the goal of lowering HIV/AIDS cases in Jacksonville. By becoming a sponsor of the 2nd Annual Diamonds and Denim Fashion Show, you are contributing to a movement that is admired nationally and supported globally. Without proper education about these diseases, the epidemic of HIV/AIDS will only continue to grow in our community. If you are interested in being participating in this event tickets can be purchase on line at http://2ndannualdiamondsanddenimfashionshow.eventbrite.com/, sponsorship packages are available upon request.

Florida Prevention Planning Group Meeting (PPG)
When: April 3-4, 2012
1pm on April 3rd to afternoon of April 4th
Where: Embassy Suites Tampa-Brandon
10220 Palm River Road, Tampa, Florida 33619, 813-653-1905
Should you have any questions or require additional information, please contact Michelle Scavnicky at 813.258.5929 or email  [email protected]

Informational
Florida Surgeon General Dr. Frank Farmer Resigns
Farmer