Prayer of the Heart
an urban retreat
the center of human life is the longing of the heart for God. But in
these days of turbulence and distraction, so many other things often
overwhelm this deep, inner longing. The busyness of life distracts us
from the life of prayer that is life's center.
| University Presbyterian Church
February 19-20, 2010
THE ENGLISH SCHOOL OF SPIRITUALITY
In our turbulent world, it's easy to let distraction and turmoil scatter us and leave us spiritually dull and cold. This retreat explores the resurgence of the Prayer of the Heart among the fourteenth century English spiritual writers and mystics: Richard Rolle, Walter Hilton, Julian of Norwich, and the anonymous writer of The Cloud of Unknowing. There was nothing easy about living in the fourteenth century, but these witnesses lived a life rooted in Jesus Christ in such a way that their world felt His grace.
Led by Dr. Robert Hale of the New Camaldoli Hermitage in Big Sur, Dr. Steve Varvis, historian at Fresno Pacfic University, and Dr. Chris Erdman.
- Friday evening the 19th, 7pm
- Saturday morning through mid-afternoon the 20th
- $30 includes lunch; please pre-register to help us plan for lunch.
- Contact the church office at 559.439.8807 for more information and to register.
- Monastery Bookstore with books, candles, icons, and other handcrafts from around the world.
- A PDF file of the brochure is attached to this email.
This conference is open to the community, so please invite a friend and spread the word.