From Brandon Police Chief Chris Brickell: "Please urge everyone to obey the police tape. Our biggest nightmare is trying to keep track of people crossing the tape. I know they are curious and want to see. But it is a big problem for us."
Union Street is open. Maple Street is in poor condition but passable. Long Swamp is under water.
Unfortunately, the bridge inspector did not come to Brandon on Monday. Maybe Tuesday (although the early WCAX news said all the VT AOT officials / inspectors were on their way to Bennington and Brattleboro).
Vermont road closures is fairly updated by calling 511 or checking the 511 map on-line
Continue to check theBrandon Facebook page for updates. This is a public page and you do not need to be a Facebook member or use to view it.
|Good Morning Brandon - Aug. 30, 2011 |
With full sunshine all day Monday and a strong community pulling together, Brandon already feels like it is on the upswing.
Emails have been pouring in from all over the country from people who love our little town. People are wanting to help. Our hearty business community continues to send updated information.
- Blue Seal Feeds, Shapiro's, Aubuchon's, Wood's Market, The Inside Scoop, Heritage Family Credit Union and Lake Sunapee Bank are open.
- Cafe Provence is taking over Gourmet Provence's coffee and baking and is open for business.
- Carr's Florist & Gifts is opening today. And if you can't get downtown, they will deliver!
- Center Street Bar was open as of 4 pm Monday afternoon and we heard there was a great crowd last night. Sully's opened yesterday at 5 pm. YES. People are allowed to walk down the sidewalk from the bank corner.
- From The Reporter: "We had to evacuate our newspaper office and are operating out of the Addy Indy offices in Middlebury for at least the next few weeks. Until I can change our Brandon voicemail to reflect this, can you please post our contact numbers: For news, call Editor Lee Kahrs at 349-3090 or 352-1085 For advertising and general questions, contact Ad Manager Alyssa Zollman at 345-7848. Email: email@example.com for news and firstname.lastname@example.org. And there WILL be a paper on the streets this Wednesday!
- Safer Society Foundation, owner of the Briggs Carriage Building, is looking for a place for its offices to relocate. Contact Joe Acinapura, who is on their Board of Directors (802-247-8403). Safer Society is a private, non-profit organization which employs 3-4 people.
- Liza Myers Gallery / James Frames unbelievably sustained very little water in the basement. Word on the foundation is still forthcoming.
- The Conant Block (Gourmet Provence, Vermont Sports Medicine, Adornment) had very little water on the street level although there was still standing water in the basement as of Monday afternoon. Word on the foundation is still forthcoming.
- Sheri's Diner is normally closed on Tuesdays. She hopes to re-open Wed. or Thursday. We will keep you updated.