|Good Morning Brandon |
As you probably know by now, Brandon was hit hard yesterday and there are many unknowns this morning. It does not sound like there was any loss of life or injuries and for that we are thankful. There were some families evacuated and at least one home was destroyed that we know of. Our hearts go out to the building and business owners and homeowners and residents who are affected. Please contact the Chamber if there is anything we can do to assist.
Here is an update on what we know:
- Route 7 is closed between Lake Sunapee Bank and the Post Office (local traffic can get to Mt Pleasant and Seminary Hill via Prospect St)
- Route 73 east is closed going over Brandon Gap (the road washed out just before the turn to Goshen)
- Union St is closed by the wastewater treatment plant
- Newton Road in Forest Dale is closed
Detour to get around downtown:
- From south going north: If you are already near downtown: Park Street Extension to Country Club Road (turn left) continue straight onto Town Farm Rd past Golf Club. Continue until Richmond Road and turn left. At the end of Richmond Road, turn left onto Wheeler Road for a short distance and then make a right onto Lovers Lane. At the end of Lovers Lane is Route 7. If you are not in downtown, pick up Country Club Road just north of Wood's Market Garden.
- From north going south: Just before Park Village (old Brandon Training School), turn left onto Lovers Lane. At the end of the road, turn left onto Wheeler Road for a short distance. Turn right onto Richmond Road. At the end of Richmond Road turn right onto Town Farm Road. Continue on Town Farm past the Golf Club onto Country Club Road. If you are heading south of town, stay on Country Club Road until you get to Route 7. If you are going into town, turn right onto Park Street Extension.
From snippets of conversation we heard this morning, downtown Route 7 will not re-open until the state bridge inspector deems it safe. This holds true for pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Hannaford's and Rite-Aid were open this morning. So were Jiffy Mart, Champlain Farms and The Inside Scoop. We heard from Virginia Russell that Larry, her tenant at the Power House, will be home tomorrow.
|In typical Brandon fashion, as I was wondering through town this morning, what I heard most frequently was "How can I help?" At this point in time, I think the emergency authorities are still trying to assess what needs to be done. Brandon PD was out in force as was the Fire Department. Rescue was standing by. |
People should stay tuned to the radio and the internet town website: www.townofbrandon.com or Brandon Facebook page for updates. If we become aware of the need for citizen help, we will send out notifications.
Since photos can say more than words, and I am struggling to find the right words to match my emotions, I've posted photos I took yesterday afternoon and early this morning. Some photos were taken by Nancy Leary and Line Barral.