North Central Reppin' the 2012 Games
This months Inside The Numbers takes a look at the athletes representing our region at the 2012 CrossFit Games. As one of the most competetive regions, the North Central put on a strong showing at the main event this year. These dedicated athletes have ingrained in the minds of competitors everywhere that we are a region not to be messed with!
Here's how it all went down:
3rd - Kyle Kasperbauer
26th - Justin Allen
28th - Phillip Kniep
7th - Elisabeth Akinwale
12th - Stacie Tovar
13th and Spirit of the Games Award winner- Deborah Cordner Carson
8th - CrossFit Kilo
34th - QCCF Awesome
35th - CrossFit Jenks
Ingrid Hurley (45-49) - 5th
Stacy O'Reilly (45-49) - 7th
Amy Ruggeberg (45-49) - 15th
Diana Davidson (55-59) - 5th
Shelly Noyce (55-59) - 11th
Rhonda Pierce (55-59) - 14th
Cindi Little (55-59) - 18th
Denny Hawkins (55-59) - 8th
Greg Major (55-59) - 11th
Summer Lovin' - Inside this Edition of Freedom Monthly
What a month! June and July were absolutely packed with events, fundraisers, and competitions. Thanks to everyone who participated! Here's a recap of what went down:
- CrossFit For Hope - In a test of endurance and determination, Freedom folks showed what they had in them in a Fight Gone Bad style workout. In doing so, we raised $1,645 to help St. Jude Children's Hospital! $1,514,300 has been raised to-date through this initiative on a goal of 1.7M. Affiliates all over the world have been contributing to this cause- pretty amazing to see what can be done when our community comes together for a cause. Thank you to all who contributed from our box! If you would still like to donate, click here.
- Battle of the Badges - It was our 2nd Annual, and it was another huge success! Seven teams from Libertyville FD (2 teams), Zion PD (2 teams), Waukegan PD, Mundelein PD, and Chicago PD competed in a grueling, full-day, 5 workout challenge Saturday, June 23rd. Over the course of the day, these men deadlifted, up-and-over-the-box jumped, sprinted, pulled, snatched, and sled-pushed the day away in pursuit of victory and the title of the Fittest Police or Fire Department in Lake County. Congratulations to Kevin Hassenauer and Andy Rick of Libertyville Fire Department for taking 1st and claiming the traveling kettlebell. Dave Naspinski and Brian Lamana of Libertyville Fire and Paul Kerly and Augustin Calbiquinto of Zion Police Department followed, taking 2nd and 3rd places respectively. Great work, guys! Pictures here!
- Dirty Girl Mud Run- CrossFit Freedom ladies represented the gym well at the Dirty Girl Mud Run June 30 at the Lake County Fairgrounds. About a dozen of our female athletes got down and dirty for a great cause and hurdled obstacles, mud, and heat for breast cancer research. Great job Dirtylicious!
- Libertyville and Lake Bluff 4th of July Parades (click here for photos)- Freedom participated in our country's day of independence in fine fashion, taking first place yet again in the Business Float category in the Lake Bluff July 4th parade! Tank, the infamous truck, made another appearance (thanks Forrest Roth!), and we succeeded in defending our title! 2013 three-peat, whatd'ya say? See below for a more detailed recap...
- CrossFit Kids Summer Camp - From handstand pushups to rope climbing to healthy eating habits, this year's campers learned it all! For one week, CrossFit Kids spent their mornings at Freedom learning all things CrossFit. Many new skills and movements were learned and goals were achieved- Great job, campers!
- Olymic lifting with Coach Scott wrapped up for the summer. Our members are doing a fantastic job learning technique and proper movement!
- Our CrossFit Endurance specialty course is currently taking place Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6p.m. Led by Coach Brett, this 8-week program began with a time trial 5k on Saturday, July 7th. The course will wrap up with a test-out at Libertyville's Twilight Shuffle 5k race on Sunday, September 2nd. CLICK HERE for registration info!
With all that behind us, here's a sneak peek into August and September:
- 31 Heroes 8/4 - The 31 Heroes Project exists to honor our fallen heroes killed in action August 6, 2011 through fitness and raise funds for programs that provide support to families of all fallen military heroes-past, present, and future.
- Fitoberfest - Competition is October 6th & 7th but don't forget - 9/1 price increase on registration.
- Azure Standard - New CrossFit Freedom drop location! If you want elite physical output, you must be precise about your intake. "Close enough" won't cut it. Sign up with Azure and pick up your choice of healthy foods right here at the box each month!
PLEASE NOTE: There have been several changes to the class schedule over the last month. We now offer a 10:15 a.m. class on Tuesday and Thursday (babysitting available), and the evening class schedule for Monday and Wednesday is now 5, 5:45, and 6:30p.m. CrossFit Kids ages 6-9 meet at 4:15 Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays, and ages 10-12 are now meeting at 5p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
***Also, there will be no 4;30 or 5;30p.m. classes on Friday, September 14, and no team WOD on Saturday, September 15.
Take advantage of the long days of summer! Get here early, work on some skills, stretch out, and better yourself. Capitalize on any opportunity you have to improve. Summer is when life slows down a bit- use that time to work those weaknesses. You'll thank yourself later!
"Have fun screwing up...it means you are removing your ego from the problem."
-Coach Greg Glassman
Have a great week and we'll see you at the box,
Lake Bluff 4th of July Parade, revisited...
So, Here's a little dose of history for you.....In 1911, the Chicago Tribune sited this description of the 4th of July :
"Ten years ago it was a fest for the rowdy and lawless. The day taught children as much about lawlessness and rowdyism as 364 days of church and family influence could unteach. The new style fourth is the old style fourth"
(From "Sane 4th to Mark New Era" June 12, 1912)
In 1911, Lake Bluff Village residents were so spirited about the 4th of July that an all-day celebration was decreed. The festivities included athletics, refreshments, entertainment and a parade. And more than a century later, the tradition and spirit of that first celebration is alive and well. There is something very special and patriotic about this perfect example of small town America.
CrossFit Freedom celebrated our nation's Independence Day by marching in the Lake Bluff 4th of July Parade. This year's theme was "History Marches On". Through the sweltering humidity and heat, we paraded the streets, pulling the monster truck with weight vests and children on our shoulders. We played catch in the streets with a rage ball, we did burpees on the minute for an hour, (well, Luke did), we swung that kettle bell high, we air squatted, double undered, and overhead squatted Kim. Our CrossFit Kids showed off their stuff and impressed everyone watching. Overall we had a fantastically sweaty time and kicked some major a** along the way. Clearly the village agreed, for the second year in a row CrossFit Freedom won 1st place in the Business Float category!
Thank you to everyone who came to support and celebrate our country's Freedom with us! We couldn't have taken 1st place without you. We earned that one!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! It was your presence that made the day so fun and unforgettable. Let the countdown for July 4th, 2013 begin and God Bless the U.S.A!!
It's that time of year again folks. Time to pay homage to those brave souls that lost their lives defending this great country. For those of you who are not aware of the 31 Heroes Project here's the overview from the website...
"The 31Heroes Project came about in response to the Chinook helicopter crash that took place on August 6, 2011 killing 30 military service members and one military working dog. Our first event was a fundraiser workout held four weeks after the day of the crash. In that short time, over 430 gyms hosted an event, more than 10,000 people participated, and $300,000 was raised and given directly to the 30 families affected. Through this event we quickly discovered that many of us in the CrossFit community have a strong desire and will to support those that have given the ultimate sacrifice to our country and its citizens. Men and women of our armed forces are giving their lives constantly, sometimes with minimal recognition for their sacrifice or that of their family's sacrifice. However, when 31 of our brave were killed in action on August 6th, we could not naively standby. For us, the sacrifice of our 31 heroes was a catalyst, driving us to realize that it is our responsibility as Americans to take care of all surviving families of our fallen military heroes. These men and women have died protecting our freedom and in response we will take care of their loved ones. 31Heroes became "The 31Heroes Project". If it weren't for the sacrifice these 31 made, we wouldn't be here, called to action and on this mission. Our gratitude for the sacrifice of the 31 could not be greater and because of it, we are setting out on this task of showing each American family that has had to sacrifice a loved one that we support them and stand behind them. All funds raised will go to programs that support surviving families of all military heroes that have been killed while protecting our freedom."
Please come out and support this cause tomorrow morning at 9:30. If you would like to donate that would be great. You can do so by clicking here. Or just show up for an epic Hero wod. God Bless the USA.
That's right - CrossFit Freedom is throwing down another epic event this October 6th & 7th. If you haven't signed up already make sure you do before September 1st as registration prices will increase.
This is a Garage Games series event hosted by CrossFit Freedom. The vendor/sponsor list is growing with names like Infidel, Life AsRX, Again Faster and many more! There will be plenty of food and it couldn't be called Fitoberfest if there wasn't plenty of good bier so be ready to drink, eat and compete as an individual or with a team. For more information click here
"If you want top-fuel- type performance, you need top fuel; you can't just piss into the gas tank."
- Greg Glassman
Recently, we have teamed up with Azure to get fresh, healthy options delivered right here to Freedom! Buy everything you need for your nutrition needs online and pick up when you come to class after the dropoff date! How is easy that! Azure has EVERYTHING! Coconut oil, manna, and milk, organic vegetables and fruit, nuts, seeds, and any other essentials you could think of for your paleo or palee-ish diet!
From the mouth of Azure's own David Stelzer...
THE STORY OF AZURE STANDARD really begins in 1971 when my family made radical changes in the operation of our 2,000-acre dry-land wheat and cattle ranch.
In the 1950's almost all the farmers in America began using chemical fertilizers because the lure of higher yields was just too great to pass up. Not long afterward, the soil deteriorated to the point where the weeds and insects began to attack the crops, so pesticides and herbicides soon followed.
Our family was caught in the cycle like most farmers, until 1971 when we took our farm out of the chemical cycle "cold turkey," so to speak. In the first year, the chemical-dependent land only produced a small percentage of what it had formerly produced. At this point most farmers would have gone back to chemical use for economic survival. But, sticking to our convictions, we fought ignorance and lack of information in order to keep on without chemical use. As the years went on, the soil slowly regained its natural fertility.
As a result of farming in this manner, both commercially, and on smaller scale in large gardens and orchards for our own use, our family became healthier.
We began selling this healthier food to others who also wanted to reap the benefits of better nutrition. Our newfound customers soon began asking for different natural and organic products which we didn't grow here on our farm, but we scrambled to find those products for them. Thus, in 1987, Azure Standard was born.
Here, we understand that naturally grown foods are instrumental in producing a long and satisfying life. We'd like to see more farmers and home gardeners turn to natural organic growing practices, so we do what we can to not only support the organic farmer, but also provide as many organic products as possible.
We chose to call our business Azure Standard, to signify by the name what we are attempting to do. Azure is a shade of blue which has been associated with law, justice, and honesty. In raising an azure standard, we want to place an honest standard in the marketing of food. We feel that the correct way to effect a positive change is not to attack the way it is being done, but to begin to do it right.
We are dedicated to the "organic principle" of cooperating with nature and we pray others will join us so that we may once again see prosperity in our land.
When ordering, simply enter 794305 at checkout when asked for drop location. See Kirsten with any questions!
Know your target audience. Who are your most important customers, clients or prospects, and why? Know what is important to them and address their needs. Include a photo to make your message even more appealing.