CrossFit For Hope - CrossFit Freedom
Libertyville Days Parade
2nd Annual Battle of the Badges - CrossFit Freedom
6/25 - 6/29
CrossFit Freedom Kids Summer Camp
Dirty Girl 5k Mud Run - Grayslake, IL
CrossFit is constantly varied, functional movements done at high intensity. Most folks understand "constantly varied" and "high intensity" but when it comes to "functional movements" that's when things can get a bit confusing. Functional Movements can be defined as the ability to move large loads, long distances, quickly.
As many of you know we're constantly varying the workouts here at the box. It's highly unlikely that one would ever do the same workout twice. Unless of course, its one of the girls. There's nearly 2 dozen workouts named after girls and at Freedom we hold 12 near and dear to our hearts.
This months Inside The Numbers takes a look at the weight lifting component within CrossFit's benchmark girl workouts. When it comes to moving large loads quickly there's no doubt about it - these girls mean business. We'll look at each workout & determine how much total weight is moved by multiplying reps x pounds.
45lbs x 50 reps = 2,250lbs
35lbs x 50 reps = 1,750lbs
20lbs x 150 reps = 3,000lbs
14lbs x 150 reps = 2,100lbs
54lbs x 63 reps = 3,402lbs
36lbs x 63 reps = 2,268lbs
135lbs x 30 reps = 4,050lbs
95lbs x 30 reps = 2,850lbs
135lbs x 30 reps = 4,050lbs
95lbs x 30 reps = 2,850lbs
95lbs x 45 reps = 4,275lbs
65lbs x 45 reps = 2,925lbs
135lbs x 45 reps = 6,075lbs
95lbs x 45 reps = 4,275lbs
95lbs x 75 reps = 7,125lbs
65lbs x 75 reps = 4,875lbs
225lbs x 45 reps = 10,125lbs
155lbs x 45 reps = 6,975lbs
The weight used in this workout is determined by one's own bodyweight.
It's comprised of 3 total movements:
- Dead Lift 1.5 times body weight
- Bench Press body weight
- Clean .75 body weight
Starting at 10 reps perform each movement and ladder down by 1 (10, 9, 8 and so on).
Using an average height and weight of 5'9", 180lbs for men and 5'5", 130lbs for women, Linda is the reining queen when it comes to moving the largest load.
What's your Linda time?
The Rebirth - Inside this Edition of Freedom Monthly
That's right. It's back! We took a little hiatus from getting a newsletter out every month, but with so many interesting and exciting things happening at Freedom, we just had to reinstate this little line of communication! So hello again, and here's a look at what's been happening so far this summer (I'd say we know how to start it off with a bang!):
- 2012 North Central Regionals: Congratulations to CrossFit Freedom's affiliate team, who took the 16th place in the 11-state North Central Region in the three-day competition held at the McCook Convention Center. Coach Brett, Scott, Justin and Kirsten, along with Shannon Konjuch and Victoria Bahr battled it out over the course of 6 grueling workouts, led by the cheers of our great members. Thank you to all who came out and supported, and watch out 2013! Pictures here.
- CrossFit Freedom 1 Year Anniversary Party and Memorial Day Murph: Congratulations to a year at the box! We couldn't have done it without our members, who truly make this place what it is. Pictures can be seen here. It has been a phenomenal 1st year, and we look forward to what the future brings!
With May behind us, it's time to look ahead to June. Here's what's inside this edition of Freedom Monthly:
- CrossFit For Hope
- Battle of the Badges
- Dirty Girl Mud Run
- Olympic Lifting Program
- CrossFit Kids Summer Camp
- New CrossFit Kids Schedules
***Also, stay tuned for details on the Libertyville Days 4th of July Parade- we will be participating with the Freedom Float again! Parade takes place on June 16 and starts at 10 a.m, leaving from the Libertyville train station. See you there!
Along with June's busy schedule at the box, we've got a sneak preview into July for you:
- Join us as we defend our reigning 1st place title in the Lake Bluff 4th of July Parade, one of the biggest in the country!
- July 7- CrossFit Freedom and Rashied Davis Charities are teaming up for a fantastic event to benefit Saturday Place, a program that provides tutoring programs in the areas of enrichment, literacy and character education for 3rd and 4th grade students, with the goal of fostering the academic skills and personal skills they need to achieve success. Join the fun and enjoy raffles and prizes, games, Chicago Bears guest appearances, and much more. Details to come!
- Get ready for some running! Our CrossFit Endurance specialty course is back! Led by Coach Brett, this 8-week program will begin July 10th and into September. If you want to improve your running and cut down those 5k or running-focused WOD times, this is the place to do it! The course will wrap up with a test-out at Libertyville's Twilight Shuffle 5k race on Sunday, September 2nd. Check your email for registration info!
So, with summer just beginning, it's time to get ready for bikini season! Just kidding...but seriously, keep pushing every day. That's what we're here for. Good, hard, workouts, great camaraderie and community, and a little break from the daily grind. We love having you all here, and are excited to see what PR's are reached, what new (or old) goals are achieved, and who just continues to forge elite fitness on the reg!
As always, endeavor, strive and make every effort to always break out of your limits.
See you at the box,
CrossFit For Hope
CrossFit for Hope will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The goal is to raise 1.7MM - one day's operating cost for St. Jude - to combat childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
Join us Saturday, June 9th at 9:30 a.m. in support of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. CrossFit Freedom's goal as an affiliate is to raise $2500. We have come together before for great causes and have seen the impact our community can have when we combine forces. Let's do it again and make young lives a little brighter!
You can either register to be a participant, sponsor participants and CrossFit Freedom, or both. As a registered participant, people can search for you through the site. Seek out sponsors and have them visit your page to make a pledge or donation.
Three rounds of:
- 75 pound Power snatch
- Box jump, 24" box
- 75 pound Thruster
- Chest to bar Pull-ups
"Hope" has the same format as Fight Gone Bad. In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep.
2nd Annual Battle of Badges
We are looking forward to hosting the 2nd annual Battle of the Badges! Athletes and fans had a great time at our inaugural Battle, and we are looking to do it again!
Join us for a 1 day competition to find the fittest fire or police department in Lake County! Watch this test of strength, stamina, endurance, and determination as departments battle for the title of Fittest in Lake County!
Schedule As Follows:
- 8-9am: Athlete Check-In
- 9am-1pm: Competition
- 1pm: Award Ceremony, Crowning of Fittest Department in Lake County
- 1:30pm: Post Event Beer-B-Q
Registration is $50 per team of two. Click HERE for more information and to register your team by June 16th!
Dirty Girl Mud Run
Support breast cancer awareness and get dirty. Dirty Girl is a 5k mud run for women of all ages and athletic abilities. Don't worry, it's not a "race" in the traditional sense.
It is an untimed obstacle course designed to push you slightly out of your comfort zone, but only as far as you are comfortable going. Forming teams is encouraged, and so is helping your fellow Dirty Girls get through to the finish. At a Dirty Girl Mud Run you'll find excitement, laughter, and camaraderie-as well as lots of music and even some adult beverages. It's a day you'll never forget.
In addition to the time of your life, your registration fee entitles you to a Dirty Girl tee-shirt, a Dirty Girl silhouette charm and other cool stuff like music, entertainment, and the benefit of knowing that you are helping the National Breast Cancer Foundation in the fight against cancer.
The run will take place July 1 at the Lake County Fairgrounds. Although CrossFit Freedom's team wave is already full, there is still time to register and participate! Depending on interest level, we may be able to form another team.
For more information or to register, click HERE!
Summer 2012 CrossFit Freedom Kids Camp!
Camp time is quickly approaching! We are only 4 weeks out from our CFK summer camp, and spaces are filling quickly! This is sure to be a fun, activity-filled week of camp like your child has never experienced before! This is a perfect opportunity for them to burn some energy, get their WOD on, and see what CrossFit is all about!
- When: June 25-29
- Who: Kids ages 6-12 from Libertyville and surrounding areas. No CrossFit Kids experience necessary!
- Time: 9a.m.-12p.m. daily
- Cost: $200, includes WOD journal, t-shirt, healthy snacks with recipes
- What: Fun exercise, competitions, pre and post nutrition talks, healthy hands-on snack making, goal writing, WOD tracking, games and sports, videos
For more detailed information or to sign up:
CrossFit Freedom Kids Schedule Change!
As our CrossFit Kids program continues to grow, we will be adding classes and separating age groups to accommodate everyone. The new schedule will be as follows:
Effective beginning July 2, immediately following the CrossFit Freedom Kids Summer Camp-
Ages 5-9: Mon/Tues/Thur 4:15-4:45 p.m.
Ages 10-12: Mon/Tues/Thur 5:00-5:30 p.m.
We are excited about being able to provide your children with the highest quality of teaching and coaching, and believe this change will only help us in our mission to provide this. Parents, remember, you now have a brand new lounge to hang out and relax in while class takes place! Or, if your child is in the older age group, why not make it a family affair and get a WOD of your own in during the 5p.m. adult class?!
If you have any questions or want to get your child started, please contact Coach Kirsten at firstname.lastname@example.org
Know your target audience. Who are your most important customers, clients or prospects, and why? Know what is important to them and address their needs. Include a photo to make your message even more appealing.