The Ten Commandments
Giving and receiving love is the most nourishing and life affirming exchange. It is the spiritual gold currency that makes the world go round.
I would like to suggest the following Ten Commandments to help you communicate better. Good communication, as we all know, a key to creating a loving exchange.
1. Know yourself. Find out how you feel, what you need,what you believe in, so that you can communicate it.
2. Commit to creating connections. Take responsibility for the success of your communications. Be the cause, the initiator, the giver.
3. Avoid reactivity. When faced with strong emotions and intense reactions, take a minute to figure yourself out. Get clear and strive to create a constructive way to communicate.
4. Cultivate empathic listening. Extend that to yourself and others. Empathy helps you understand and accept. It enhances transformation and change.
5. Be clear. Be authentic and expressive, and use the four "Magic I's." (I Think, I Feel, I Need, I Want). When you communicate with another stick to expressing your feelings rather than pointing the finger at the other. Avoid blaming, dumping, judging or telling others what to do.
6. Show appreciation. Do whatever you can to validate your partner(s). Use listening and mirroring skills, show respect and consideration. You can still maintain your beliefs and go for them. One has nothing to do with the other.
7. Be reliable. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Integrity cultivates mutual trust.
8. Learn to negotiate. Create win/win situations. It is best for all involved.
9. Tap into your humor and playfulness. Bring enjoyment into your communications.
10. Let go of the need to be right, in control, or on top. Connection and the exchange of understanding are so much more fulfilling.
Communication is an art. Keep experimenting and go through the trials and tribulations. You will come to enjoy it and your loved ones will appreciate it.
Loving Communications: The Ten Commandments