The Next Full Moon was selected as the Pulpwood Queens June Children's "Pinecone" Book Club Selection and one of Neely's 5 "Mother-Daughter" Favorites from Reading Group Choices.
"The Next Full Moon is as magical as a moonbeam on a midsummer's eve. When you've finished this enchanting story, you'll close your eyes and fly."
-Kathi Appelt, author of The Underneath and Keeper
"Carolyn pitch perfectly describes exactly what a young teenager feels during those important years."
"Beautiful. Imaginative. Dreamy. Lovely."
-Fluidity of Time
"Turgeon impressively uses fantasy to explore issues that all pre-teens go through as their bodies begin changing."
-A Backwards Story
1. Can you identify with Ava throughout the book? Why or why not? Have you ever felt the way Ava does at school? How would you react if you started growing feathers?
2. The story of Ava's parents is based on traditional swan maiden tales. Are you familiar with these stories? What do you think of the way the way the author weaves this traditional tale into a modern story?
3. At one point Ava wonders,"Who knew what else there was, hidden behind things that seemed totally normal?" and looks around at her classmates, imagining that Vivienne Witmer might secretly be a fairy. What do you think of this idea, that there is magic in the world we don't always see?
4. Describe Ava's relationship with her father. Did it surprise you that she doesn't tell her father about her feathers? What do you think about the secrets her father keeps from Ava?
5. What do you think happens next, after the book is over? How do you think Ava's life changes?
To find out more about the author, follow her blog, and to keep up with her on Facebook, Twitter, and GoodReads, visit her website.
AUTHOR CALL-IN INFORMATION: Carolyn Turgeon is happy to call-in to or Skype with your club. She also travels constantly and would be happy to meet with your group if she's in your area; just email her
to see if you're on her way and/or to submit your request.