Vote for us - August 10th!
Help us drive away hunger. Do you or someone you know have a facebook? The Food Bank needs your vote on August 10th, only at Toyota's 100 Cars for Good. On August 10th we will paired against 4 other non-profits for a chance to win a brand new Toyota for the Food Bank. The only way we can win is if you vote!
Summer Feeding Program
A Thank you note from the Boys & Girls Club of North County:
"Thank you all for your help and support this summer. Without your help the children at Boys & Girls Club would not get the great nutritious meal everyday. We could not do it without you!"
Boys & Girls Club of North County
3rd Annual Hunger Walk
The 3rd annual Hunger Walk of San Luis Obispo County, will take place on Sunday, September 25th at 2:00 PM at eight convenient sites across the county. Registration begins at 1:00 PM; walk begins promptly at 2:00 PM.
How will your donations make an impact? 75 % of the funds you raise by gathering sponsors will directly help our San Luis Obispo County neighbors, while the other 25% will be donated to C.A.R.E International, a non-profit organization dedicated to world-wide hunger relief.
If you have any questions, please visit the website or call us at (805) 238-4664.
Healthy Strawberry Shortcake Sliders
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp granulated sugar, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white, beaten
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup whipped topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. For the shortcakes, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, or two knives until the mixtures resembles a course meal. In a separate dish, combine the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture, and stir just until combined.
3. Turn the dough out onto a flour surface, and roll to a 1-inch thickness. Using a biscuit-cutter, cut the dough into 8 circles, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the egg whites, and sprinkle evenly with the 2 teaspoons of sugar. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until the tops start to turn golden. Cool on a baking rack.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the berry filling. In a medium saucepan, combine one cup of the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, and cool 5 minutes. Add the remaining berries, then cover and cool in the refrigerator.
5. The serve the shortcakes, slice one cake in half using a serrated knife. Spoon berry filling onto the bottom half, and top with the top half. Spoon additional berry topping over the top of the cake, and top with 2 tablespoons of whipped topping.
Per Serving Calories 225