SLO Food Bank header
Food for Thought...

Greetings!

 

Welcome to our monthly newsletter!

 

As Executive Director of the Food Bank Coalition of SLO County, I have the pleasure of introducing something new: Food For Thought.  This is the maiden voyage and we are excited because it will help you stay more in touch with all the good your contributions of time and/or money do. We are especially excited about our new Blog: Blog For Thought. It will allow us - and you - to participate in a public forum on hunger issues. I can tell you from my own experiences that we live in a caring community and together we can end hunger. 

 

Carl 

Vote for us - August 10th!
100 Cars for Good

 

Help us drive away hunger. Do you or someone you know have a facebook? The Food Bank needs your vote on August 10th, only at Toyota's 100 Cars for Good. On August 10th we will paired against 4 other non-profits for a chance to win a brand new Toyota for the Food Bank. The only way we can win is if you vote!

 

Summer Feeding Program
Boys & Girls Club

 

A Thank you note from the Boys & Girls Club of North County: 

 

"Thank you all for your help and support this   summer. Without your help the children at Boys & Girls Club would not get the great nutritious meal everyday. We could not do it without you!" 

 

Lauren Cross  

Executive Director, 

Boys & Girls Club of North County 

3rd Annual Hunger Walk 
Hunger Walk - Feet

The 3rd annual Hunger Walk of San Luis Obispo County, will take place on Sunday, September 25th at 2:00 PM at eight convenient sites across the county.  Registration begins at 1:00 PM; walk begins promptly at 2:00 PM. 

How will your donations make an impact? 75 % of the funds you raise by gathering sponsors will directly help our San Luis Obispo County neighbors, while the other 25% will be donated to C.A.R.E International, a non-profit organization dedicated to world-wide hunger relief.

 

If you have any questions, please visit the website or call us at (805) 238-4664.

Featured Recipe 


Healthy Strawberry Shortcake Sliders
 

Shortcakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp granulated sugar, divided

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces

1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk

1 egg, beaten

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 egg white, beaten

 

Berry Filling:

4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 cup whipped topping

 

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F.

2. For the shortcakes, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, or two knives until the mixtures resembles a course meal. In a separate dish, combine the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture, and stir just until combined.

3. Turn the dough out onto a flour surface, and roll to a 1-inch thickness. Using a biscuit-cutter, cut the dough into 8 circles, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the egg whites, and sprinkle evenly with the 2 teaspoons of sugar. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, or until the tops start to turn golden. Cool on a baking rack.

4. Meanwhile, prepare the berry filling. In a medium saucepan, combine one cup of the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, and cool 5 minutes. Add the remaining berries, then cover and cool in the refrigerator.

5. The serve the shortcakes, slice one cake in half using a serrated knife. Spoon berry filling onto the bottom half, and top with the top half. Spoon additional berry topping over the top of the cake, and top with 2 tablespoons of whipped topping.

 

Serves 8

Per Serving Calories 225

 

Sincerely,

 

Food Bank Coalition of SLO County

Find us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter  View our videos on YouTube
In This Issue
Vote for us!
Thank you note
Hunger Walk
Quick Links

Check out our new Blog!

 

Blog for Thought

Blog 

We encourage you to engage in the conversation. 




Paso Warehouse
2212 Golden Hill Rd. 
(805) 238-4664 

Oceano Warehouse 
1820 Railroad Rd. 
(805) 481-4652 

 

Feeding America

 

CAFB