Special Training Edition - Spring 2012
Meet the Challenge!
As announced in mid-February, DISCUS is changing! An exciting new mix of statewide electronic resources will launch on July 1, 2012.
Multiple free opportunities for learning about the new resources are available and can be found on the DISCUS Training page and, as time goes on, in the Training Archives. Be sure, also, to explore the new product previews to become familiar with all the great new content!
|June and August|
Summer Boot Camps Are Coming Do you learn best in a concentrated on-site session, engaging with trainers and fellow learners in the same room? If the answer is "yes," then DISCUS Boot Camp is for you!
Summer Boot Camps are planned for multiple locations around South Carolina and there's likely to be one within an easy drive of where you live. The sessions are designed particularly with the K-12 community in mind, but they are open to staff of all institutions that participate in DISCUS. Two simultaneous trainings will take place on each day, at each location -- one training will focus on the new DISCUS resources for students in elementary school and the other training will introduce the new resources for middle and high school students.
The first series takes place in June and is now open for registration. Register for either the elementary session or the middle/high school session on the day that is most convenient for you.
- Tuesday, June 26th, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. @ The Citadel, Charleston
- Wednesday, June 27th, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. @ the South Carolina State Library, Columbia
- Thursday, June 28th, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. @ USC Upstate, Spartanburg
The same trainings, at additional locations, will be offered again on August 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Check the DISCUS Training Schedule for complete details and registration opportunities for those sessions as they become available.
Concerned about educator recertification? The DISCUS Boot Camps are designed to provide 4 hours of direct contact so that they meet the time requirement for professional development activity. Boot Camp participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the day which they can submit to their school districts for consideration. Neither DISCUS nor the State Library has the authority to award recertification points to educators.
Back to top
|Convenient Online Sessions Scheduled|
With no travel involved, short online trainings that are easy to access may be perfect for your needs. Check out these upcoming one-hour sessions to see if one is right for you. Registration is required but, as always, there's no fee to participate.
- Wednesday, April 25th, 3:00 p.m. - NoveList K-8 Plus, Teaching with Books
- Wednesday, May 2nd, 3:00 p.m. - BrainPOP Jr. Heads South
- Tuesday, May 8th, 11:00 a.m. - Overview of EBSCOhost Features & Functionality for Public & Academic Librarians
- Wednesday, May 9th, 11:00 a.m. - Introducing Bloom's Literary Reference Online
- Wednesday, May 16th, 1:00 p.m. - Readers' Advisory Using NoveList Plus
It's easy to view the full training descriptions and to register. Just take a look at the DISCUS Training Schedule.