DISCUS Facts & Figures
Thanks to the ongoing efforts of media specialists and librarians across the state, DISCUS use has grown steadily over the years - showing strong evidence of its value as an information resource for all state citizens. The growth between the first and second year alone was a whopping 321%!
(click graph to enlarge)
Since then, usage has shown a continuing upward trend - averaging a 13% increase annually. As DISCUS entered its fourth year, the State Library was proud to announce that the total number of items retrieved had passed the 10.7 million mark! By the end of the 2007/08 fiscal year, South Carolina citizens had retrieved more than 57 million items through DISCUS!
Each year DISCUS has also demonstrated its cost effectiveness and efficient use of state funds. For example, for 2007/08:
- $2.35 million - statewide licensing cost for DISCUS databases
- $41.3 million - cost should libraries subscribe individually
- This is a difference of $39 million.
- For every dollar spent, $17.57 was realized in cost avoidance/savings.
Additional 2007/08 information to note:
- Usage: 8.5+ million items retrieved, a 12% increase over FY 06/07
- Usage by category:
- K-12 community: 64%
- Academic libraries: 31%
- Public libraries: 5%
- Training: 1,547 people attended a variety of workshops and presentations. This represents a 77% increase over FY 06/07.
In conclusion, DISCUS plans to continue to offer high quality resources in a variety of subject areas and formats to meet the
information needs of South Carolina citizens. With the help of the library community, the continued success of the DISCUS training program, and DISCUS/State Library promotional efforts, we look forward to continued growth and effectiveness over the next 10 years! Back to top