We've been getting a number of calls from our clients about what will happen to their taxes if the
federal government shuts down at midnight tonight. Here is what we know at this time:
- The April 18 filing deadline for Form 1040 returns remains in effect.
- Tax payments will be processed as usual.
- Returns filed on paper will not be processed until after the government resumes normal operations. This will delay refunds on paper filed returns.
- E-filed returns will be processed as usual with no delay in refunds.
- Taxpayers who have an appointment scheduled with the IRS (audit, collections, appeals or Taxpayer Advocate cases) during the period of the shutdown should assume the appointment has been canceled. These appointments will be rescheduled when normal IRS operations resume.
Rest assured that we're working as quickly as we can to get your taxes filed, regardless of the possibility of the government shutdown. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it won't come to that!
- Maco & Associates