Out with the Old; In with the New
With the '08 Christmas season now a vivid memory, my mind focuses on the new '09 year ahead.
Settling in with a hot cup of coffee, contemplating the cold crisp winter, I ponder the thought of resolutions. Last year, I made a personal resolution. This year, what about a "professional" one?
How can I be the best volunteer director I can be? One thought entered my mind -- "daring to care." Can I care enough to listen to the volunteer that sits in my office, telling me her husband has just been diagnosed with cancer? Can I care enough to view the numerous vacation photos taken by an employee or look at the many patterns, styles and colors of baby caps a volunteer has just made? Can I not get discouraged when walking a patient to a hospital destination despite running late to a meeting? Or not get frustrated when a board member calls me on my cell phone at 7 p.m. in the evening?
"Daring to care" -- my "professional" New Year's resolution for '09. What will yours be?
| Call for Leaders
It is time to begin thinking about our leadership for the upcoming year (2009-2010) for MCDVS. The positions up for election are:
- Serves as the president's "right hand"
- Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the president in the absence or incapacity of the president
- Serves as chair of the long range planning committee
- Is responsible for the annual hours report
- Succeeds the office of president at the expiration of the president's elected term
- Term: One year as president-elect, followed by a one-year term as president and a one-year term as advisor/chair of nominations committee
- Receives all funds and deposits them into MCDVS bank account
- Pays all bills as authorized by the budget
- Maintains a detailed ledger of receipts and expenditures
- Prepares annual budget
- Prepares and files proper paperwork with the IRS
- Term: One year
- Takes attendance and record official minutes at all meetings
- Prepares and distributes minutes for board and general membership meetings at least three weeks prior to the next meeting.
- Keeps a file of reports, correspondence and minutes
- Keeps a supply of stationery and re-orders when necessary
- Term: One year
Nominating Committee (Three Open Positions)
As you can see, we have some important positions to fill on our MCDVS board, and we need your help! I suggest you go through your directory and start writing down the names of members that could fill these positions. Also, please don't be modest; feel free to nominate yourself. Stay tuned, as you will be receiving your ballot and more info this month.
- Works with the advisor to manage the annual election process
- Seeks and nominates members of MCDVS for office
- Prepares election in accordance with bylaws
- Announces results of the annual election
- Term: One year
Please feel free to call me with any questions and thank you in advance for making MCDVS truly an outstanding professional organization.
| Resources: Helpful JCAHO Website
|I have received A LOT of positive feedback about the list of resource websites that were in last month's newsletter. Here is another website of frequently asked questions regarding JCAHO.
Please do not hesitate to send me your favorite work-related website, so that I can share it in future newsletters.
| Volunteer Service Chosen as UMHS Support |
Program of the Year
Congratulations to the staff of the Volunteer Services Department at the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers. Volunteer Services is the 2008 UMHS Support Program of the Year award recipient.
Each year, the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers Senior Management Team acknowledges exemplary achievement by awarding Program of the Year distinction to one Clinical Services and one Support Services program. The programs are selected based on the following criteria:
1. Is aligned with UMHHC Goals & Objectives
2. Demonstrates innovation
3. Addresses identified patient need
4. Increases patient safety or improves service quality
5. Improves internal and/or external communication and relationships
6. Exemplifies visionary leadership in healthcare
7. Increases patient, staff, and/or faculty satisfaction
8. Exemplifies social responsibility and community health focus
9. Produces industry-leading results and creates value
Volunteer Services, a program within the University of Michigan Hospital since 1941, was chosen, in part, because of its longstanding commitment to caring for patients and their families as well as for the support volunteers provide to augment the work of the hospital's faculty and staff. On average from 2005-2007, more than 6,500 volunteers donated over 300,000 hours at a value of nearly $6 million dollars to the institution.
The commitment to caring and vision for Volunteer Services is demonstrated every day by staff members Lisa Beach, Administrative Assistant; Pam Fogarty, Volunteer Coordinator; Karen Shill, Volunteer Coordinator; and Alfreda Rooks Jordan, Volunteer Director. These women, along with the more than 2,000 volunteers who donate their time every year, truly make a difference at the University of Michigan Health System.
|Website Quick Links |
**Please note: user ID (mcdvs) and password (cab08) are required to log into these sections of the website.
|Upcoming Regional Meetings|
Beaumont Hospital, Corporate Office
755 W. Big Beaver, Troy
Classroom 1 - Second floor
Borgess Medical Center
1521 Gull Road, Kalamazoo
28050 Grand River Ave.,
Register by 2-2-09
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 248-471-8086
Hospice of Life
One Hiland Drive, Petoskey
Click here for a complete listing of MCDVS Regional Meetings.
|Annual Volunteer Survey|
|Don't forget to turn in your Annual Volunteer Survey to Karol Pokley by 2-1-09. Surveys were sent out via e-mail on 12-29-08. If you did not receive the survey, please be sure to let Karol know.
| Josh Schultz
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
Did you know that you can find an up-to-date MCDVS Membership Directory on our website? You'll need the user ID (mcdvs) and password (cab08) to enter this section.
|Your MCDVS Board|