|Unity Church of North Easton News|
|"We Pledge to Walk Together..."||
Volume 1, No. 4, April 13, 2012
Musings of the Minister
Our Social Justice Coordinating Committee is awesome! They help people with a passion for social action find resources and coordinate projects. They supported our recent and very successful food drive - thank you!
Here are some projects we could take up together. Most have a contact person; each needs five helpers and five supporters.
- Host a one-time clothing exchange for people who cannot afford clothing. Contact Deanna Greenstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create a "clothing pantry". Contact Jenn Gold at email@example.com.
- Help build the Habitat for Humanity house in Easton. Contact person needed.
- Grow produce to donate to local shelters in a community garden plot. Contact Kate Haven at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a contingent to the Pride Parade in Boston on June 9, 2012. Contact Rev. Tess Baumberger at email@example.com.
- Study and act on immigration. Contact Rev. Tess Baumberger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This awesome committee is hosting a potluck in Holly House from 6 - 7:30 pm on Sunday, April 29,2012. If you are developing an idea, or want to help, please join us!
PS - Minister on Retreat
I will make up a couple missed days of study leave on Wednesday, April 18 and Thursday, April 19. I will also attend the local Unitarian Universalist Ministers Spring Retreat in Hingham from Monday, May 7 through Wednesday, May 9. As always, I am on call for emergencies at 781-366-5701.
Services This Month
Adult Circle of Trust
Pledge Communion Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Sound of Giving
Pledge Communion Sunday will begin with a family breakfast in Parish Hall at 9:00 am. Childcare will then be provided from 9:45 am - 10:30 am at Holly House so that parents can meet with their Steward.
Beginning at 10:30 am, an inter-generational worship service (note - no Religious Education today) will be held that includes a play by Rev. Tess Baumberger, based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and featuring songs from The Sound of Music, and starring:
- Susanne Rogers as Maria Von Snow White
- Frank Smith as President Doc
- Michael Achey as Happy
- Bob Champagne-Willis as Grumpy
- J Haven as Dopey
- Rev. Tess Baumberger as Sleepy
- Susan Camp as Bashful
- Andy Champagne-Willis as Sneezy
Richard Hill, Accompanist, and Susan Maffa, Soloist
|Calling All Committees!
Committee Annual Reports are Due by April 23, 2012!
It's that time again! All Committee Chairpersons need to submit their annual reports to our Office Manager, Gail, via e-mail, at email@example.com, no later than Monday, April 23, 2012.
Remember, Gail has to compile all of these reports to create the church-wide Annual Report for the Annual Congregational Meeting on Sunday, May 20, 2012.
|Are You New to Unity Church?|Are you new to Unitarian Universalism or to Unity Church? Do you have questions you would like answered? The Unity Church Fellowship Committee is sponsoring a Newcomer Orientation on Sunday, May 6, 2012, from Noon to 2pm. At this informal get-together with Rev. Tess Baumberger and a few current members, you will learn basic Unitarian Universalism (UU) beliefs, a brief history of Unity Church, and the way we govern ourselves.
We would love for you to join us. Please gather in the conference room in Holly House for a light lunch. Childcare will be provided for those who need it.
Please contact Lynn Santiago-Calling no later than Saturday, May 5, 2012 if you plan to attend, if you need child care, and if you have any dietary restrictions. Lynn can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 774-263-8056.
On April 22, another fine concert will be performed at our church. The Weeping Cherry will be showing off outside the door (see our Unity News header, above) and the sweet tones of the bells will once again fill our resonant sanctuary. This is a remarkable union of two diverse groups who have joined together in love, twice a year, for the last 20 years. Come help us celebrate on Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 3 pm. The concert will be held in the sanctuary with a supper in Parish Hall afterwards.
Please see Richard Hill at email@example.com for more information.
|Newly-Formed Finance Committee|
At the January 2012 Special Congregational Meeting, church members charged the Executive Committee with establishing a Finance Committee, as a Standing Committee per our by-laws, to assist the Treasurer.
The vote directed the Executive Committee to establish the Finance Committee, create a charter for it, and also for the Finance Committee to create standard financial reports.
Current members of the Finance Committee are Susanne Rogers, J. Haven, Michael Achey, and Edie Marsden.
The Executive Committee approved a Finance Committee Charter, developed by the Finance Committee, on April 10, 2012, and the committee is now preparing next year's budget. They will also receive the results of the Stewardship Campaign, and standard reporting is a work in progress to find the best match for our church.
|Slate Nominations Open Until April 29, 2012
Please remember that after April 29, 2012, no additional nominations will be accepted. Remember also that nominations are not accepted from the floor at the Annual Congregational Meeting. This decision was made so that the nominating process can be as transparent as possible to the congregation, but also to ensure that due diligence is done around the election of our church leadership.
- Annual Congregational Meeting is to be held on Sunday, May 20, 2012, after Social Hour.
Just as with civic voting, it is important for church members to be present and to participate in our governance process by attending the Annual Congregational Meeting, hearing updates on the health of our operations, and voting on these leadership positions.
How Do I Nominate Myself or Someone Else?
If you would like to nominate yourself or some other Voting Member of the congregation for one of the positions in the link above, or just have questions about positions or the nominating process, please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UCNE Nominating Committee
|The Fundraising Corner|
Help Unity Church Host New England Folk Festival Dancers & Musicians!
The New England Folk Festival Association (NEFFA) has a festival in Mansfield each spring. Folk musicians and dancers come from around the world. Some (young adults, musicians) cannot afford hotel rates. We can host them for a nominal charge that goes directly to Unity Church. For more information, click the link above.
Unity Exchange **NEW ITEMS AVAILABLE**
The Unity Exchange is a place where members and friends can offer gently used items to others for just a donation to the church. Be sure to check there often, as items are added as they are offered!
We've just made it easier for you to support Unity Church. We registered Unity Church with GoodSearch.com, a company that helps non-profits like ours raise funds through the everyday actions of our supporters. Here is how you can help:
Get started by clicking the "Become a Supporter" button on our profile page at http://www.goodsearch.com/nonprofit/unity-church-of-north-easton.aspx!
Every time you use the link above, or the one on the Fundraising Corner page on our web site, to purchase goods from Amazon, Unity Church receives 4% to 8.5% of what you've spent, depending on our volume of purchases.
Save your receipts when you eat at or take out from Mario's, right here in North Easton! We receive 10% of every dollar spent at Mario's. Put your receipts in the fundraising box at Holly House, or put them in the collection plate at a service. So easy!!
|Big THANK YOU to Our Sunday Helpers!|Thanks to our volunteers for April through June who help to make our service wonderful:
- Worship Associates/Service Leaders/Offering Ushers: Susan Camp, Sue McGowan, Lynn Santiago-Calling, Peter Leitch, Jannelle Codianni, Addy Hiltebeitel, Jacob Cotter, Kyan Santiago-Calling, Athena Codianni, Jonathon Blake, and Nicola Wilbar.
- Greeters: J Haven, Isabella Centrella, Hunter Codianni, Damon Greenstein, Ashton Greenstein, Lucinda Cotter, Amanda Widrow, David Olson, Ken Love, Frank Smith, Susanne Rogers, Michael Achey, Perry Harrison, Ken Love, Mary Lu Love, Kathie Malefatto, Lisa Gilgan, and Pat and Chris Pender.
- View from the Pew: Jason Gold, J Haven
- Coffee Hour Hosts: The Fredericks Family, the Morse-McCahill Family, the UCNE Worship Committee, Lynn Santiago-Calling, Cheryl Lees, Marie Pires, Carol Heap, the Cotter Family, Anna Linzi, Kate & Niomi, and Donna Hobart.
|Part-time Child Care Provider Needed for Nursery|
We are looking for another person to help provide child care in the Nursery during Sunday worship services. The hours are 10:15 am - 11:45 am on occasional Sundays. This is a paid position. Applicants do not have to be church members.
For more information, church members should log in and navigate to the web site Members Access/Volunteer & Staff Opportunities page.
Non-members, please contact Cheryl Brigante at 508-409-8386 or email@example.com.
|Unity Church Aiding Neighbors (UCAN)|
Learn about Social Justice at Unity Church, like,
- the Social Justice Coordinating Committee
- 5-5-5 for Social Justice
- Peace Vigil in Foxborough
- Habitat for Humanity New Home in Easton
|Spoken Announcements in Worship
Years ago, Unity Church decided on spoken announcements during coffee hour. However, we heard that this now doesn't work, for a few reasons; people talk during them, people want social hour to be just for socializing and not church business, etc.
So, the Worship Committee proposed a new process that the Executive Committee endorsed. Starting in April, we will make these changes:
- After the Prelude and before the bell ringing, one person, hopefully from the Executive Committee, will make all the announcements.
- Anyone who wants a spoken announcement made, please submit it to Gail by the preceding Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will leave a copy on the podium in the Sanctuary to be read aloud.
- To keep things short, please limit the announcement to 30 words. The contact person will be asked to rise or raise a hand so people know who to ask for further information, go to for fliers, etc.
|A Note on A View From the Pew|In keeping with this year's theme of sources and spiritual practice, we invite you to share your journey in a brief, 2-3 minute, View From the Pew during worship. You could talk about a spiritual practice you perform, what it is and how it makes you feel. To schedule a time to share your view, please contact Rev. Tess Baumberger at email@example.com / 508-238-1131 .
|The A,B,Cs of Coffee Hour - We Need YOU!| Coffee Hour hosts are always needed, and its so easy to do! All the supplies for coffee and tea are in the kitchen cabinet below the coffee pots. Some people chose to bring in snacks to share, but this is not required.
All you need to do is Arrive around 10:15 am to plug in the Bunn coffee machine, and put out the supplies. Go to the kitchen during the last hymn to prepare the first pots of coffee, then Be friendly and helpful as people help themselves to coffee and tea. Afterward, Clean up the kitchen and tables. See how easy?
Consider hosting coffee hour with a friend. To sign up, please enter your name(s) in the notebook in Parish Hall, or contact Carol Heap at firstname.lastname@example.org.