We hope you'll join us for a garden tour or two, taking place throughout the Nantucket Garden Festival:
Wednesday, July 25
- Gardens by 'Sconset Gardener: Marty McGowan, Landscape Artist and proprietor of 'Sconset Gardener and Pumpkin Pond Farm, will lead a "Behind the Hedges" tour of gardens along Cliff Road and Brant Point. 9 - 11am.
- Chickens, Bees and Other Creatures: Discover how year-round islanders supply their table from the earth, the hen house, and the hive. The tour will culminate with a champagne brunch. 9:30 - 1pm
- A Walking Tour of Town Gardens: A tour ending in the late afternoon with refreshments in the garden of one of Nantucket's oldest historic houses. Most of the gardens on the tour have never been visited before and each demonstrates that imagination and clever use of a challenging patch of ground can result in delightfully original garden spaces, whether elegant or simple. Wear walking shoes. 2 - 4pm
Thursday, July 26
- Gardens by Kristina Wixted: Kristina Wixted Gardens specializes in creating a balance between formal and natural design. This tour features three gardens, one originally designed by Lucinda Young and one by landscape architect Patrick Chasse. These gardens have transformed over the years. The final garden of the tour will show-case even more of Kristina's work. 9 - 11am.
- 'Sconset Small Gardens Walking Tour: Explore with historian Michael May the delightful and mostly small gardens surrounding the cottages in 'Sconset Village and Codfish Park. These gardens demonstrate the creativity that encourages plants to thrive at the very edge of the seacoast. Michael will discuss the historical significance of the neighborhood and refreshments will be served in the last garden. 4 - 6pm.
Friday, July 27
- Gardens by Florabundant: Anita Stefanski and Julie Hilberg Hunt of Florabundant take you on a stroll through their east-end island gardens. Both large and small gardens will be featured, each revealing its own unique personality. 9 - 11am.
- Nantucket Vegetable Gardens: Nantucket's climate perfectly lends itself to abundant backyard vegetable growing. Explore the array of vegetables that are grown on Nantucket and see how these gardens compliment the landscape. Wine and cheese will be served at the last garden on this tour. 3 - 6pm.
Saturday, July 28
- West of Town Bike Tour with Nantucket Bike Tours: Jason Bridges is one of the many who fell in love with Nantucket on a visit and subsequently finagled a way to make it home. His passion for eco-friendly living led to the bike, running and paddling tours he enjoys leading. Join him for a splendid bike ride to the west of town, visiting a variety of private gardens along the way. 9 - 11am.
Seating is limited and filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Register today at the
Nantucket Garden Festival Web site or by calling the Nantucket Lighthouse School at 508-228.0427.