1/18 Mark Bergan
1/25 Christina Dortch
2/01 Mark Griffis
2/08 Amy Varela
2/22 Gina Hengst
2/29 Chris Draughan
Prizes & Raffles
No winner last week
Woody Cooper Award
Name drawn last week:
Advanced Copy Service, Inc.
Dennis McDermott, 1/18
Sabrina Ebel, 1/19
Toni Higgs, 1/19
Baker Brooks, 1/20
January 18, 2012
San Jose Country Club
7529 San Jose Boulevard
Lunch Buffet 12:00
Invite A Guest!
Our 1st official meeting in 2012 on January 11th generated a lot of excitement in the room and attracted a lot of media. The main reason was simple - Mayor Alvin Brown came to the SBMC to address our Club about his first six months in office. We were honored that he selected us to be the first Club he addressed this year. The SBMC was mentioned in this article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-01-11/story/alvin-brown-wants-summit-one-stop-center-small-businesses#.Tw7R_6p9rTc.mailtoof
Your Officers have planned a year packed with many special SBMC activities. Our annual Trip to Tallahassee is just around the corner. To get you more excited about our future social events, I'd like to list them here for you:
- Monthly Golf Outings
- Jaguar's Football with a Tailgating party
- Sun's Baseball with a Tailgating party
- Shark's Arena Football social
- Fishing Trip
- Daytona Race
- Kids Shopping Spree
- Christmas Party
And of course, we are looking forward to our Annual Major fund-raising events:
- Spring and Fall YAP
- Charity Golf Tournament
- The Players Championship
- Beer Festival
- Jazz Festival
As always, we will honor our Veterans at a Military Appreciation Luncheon, honor the Fireman and Policeman of the year, and honor our Past Presidents for their service to the SBMC. Don't forget the Veteran's Day Float!
What a year we are going to have! Do you feel the excitement? If you do, please invite others to join our Club so they can also SHARE the fellowship. Have a great week and I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.
|GUEST SPEAKER/UPCOMING PROGRAMS|
1/18 New Year Predictions
John Hamel, Julee Miller, Michael Carignan
1/25 Christie Seal, Reputation Management
2/08 Jerry Holland, Supervisor of Elections
2/15 Yvonne James, NEFAS
2/22 Chaplain Ron Camarda, Battle for Fallujah 2004
2/29 Sam Froio, Internal Revenue Service
Since our Club celebrates its 80th Anniversary in 2012, our Directory will be a Commemorative Edition to honor this event. The committee's goal is to deliver the accurate SBMC Member Directory and we ask for your cooperation. To ensure that you are included in the SBMC Directory, we are asking you to:
- Confirm that your dues are current and paid by January 31, 2012. Members who are not current (dues which are due by 1/31/2012) will NOT be included in the Directory. If your dues are due in February or beyond, you should be fine. If you have a question regarding your dues, please contact Mark Wilkinson at [email protected].
- Update your information on the SBMC member website by January 31, 2012. --Go to the SBMC website, www.suthsidebusinessmensclub.com and update or correct your personal and business information. Log-in to the website by entering your e-mail address and the password 1932.
- Update your picture so that it is "business appropriate" with a current photograph
- Please support the Club and promote your business in the Directory and take advantage of free advertising on the SBMC website. Call Barbara Buzby to discuss the ad that best suits your needs and budget at 421-7425 or email [email protected].
Thank you for your continuing support of the SBMC.
2012 Directory Chair
|MEMBERSHIP CORNER |
Did you know that more business transactions take place at the SBMC luncheons than any other place throughout the entire year in Jacksonville? Our weekly luncheon is the most anticipated and biggest networking event of the week in our great city. Yes, over 100 business owners choose to come to our meeting every single Wednesday. At no other time or place will you get an opportunity to come face to face with so many leaders of our community.
SBMC luncheons not only give newcomers the opportunity to rub elbows with legendary veterans in our city's history, but the size of the crowd each week and the nature of conversation before and during the meal have been said to be and accurate forecast of business regionally. It is a weekly event not to be missed. I look forward to seeing you and your guests each Wednesday at SBMC!
2012 Membership Chair
|GOLF OUTING - JANUARY 27TH|
Our January golf outing will be played at The Champions Club - Julington Creek on Friday, January 27th. The first tee time is 12:00. Cost is $40.90 which includes range balls and a boxed lunch.
RSVP to Julie Clements to reserve your spot at [email protected]
|MEET-A-MEMBER - FEBRUARY 2ND|
SBMC is having the first of seven exciting, unique Meet-A-Member events this year!
Carter Funk of Deluxe Clearners is sponsoring the event on
February 2nd at his main facility at 6005 Powers Avenue,
Jacksonville, FL 32217. This is a great opportunity to see how the entire laundering/dry-cleaning operation is done. Mark this date on your calendar and join us at 5:30 p.m.
Tickets at $5.00 per person will be ready for you at our meeting on Wednesday, January 18th. To reserve your space see Sandy Myers, Mary Cox, or Amy Varela .
|TALLAHASSEE TRIP - FEBRUARY 28TH|
February 28 is the date of our annual Tallahassee Trip. As with everything we do in the Club this will be a very exciting and fun day!
You will have the opportunity to meet you legislators and get a behind-the-scenes view of our State Capital and other buildings and offices.
We have chartered a very comfortable motor coach for the trip (with a bathroom). The price of this great trip is only $75 - which includes transportation, snack and refreshments during the trip and lunch.
Bus seats are limited, so don't miss out on this unique opportunity to visit the State Capital with your fellow SBMC members. For details and to make your reservations, please contact Harry Peltz at 742-6644 or e-mail at [email protected]
DAYTONA INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY - FEB. 2012
We have a couple of opportunities for a social event at the Daytona 500 in February 2012. Please call Gene Maszy at 993-1105 or email at [email protected] if either of these offers interests you:
1) Daytona Select - $315 per person. This awesome deal includes seats in the Sprint Tower, i.e. Daytona International Speedway Suites. All food and beverage are included and you will be hobnobbing with movie stars, music stars and the leaders of some of the biggest corporations in the world.
2) Dave and Buster's Daytona 500 Raceway - $175 per person. This includes transportation to and from the race, something a lot of members have asked me for on past Daytona trips. Details at the following link - http://dandbjax.ticketleap.com/daytona500/
SERGEANT AT ARMS-PATRICK HEATHERINGTON
In order for us and San Jose Country Club to properly prepare for each week's meeting we need you to RSVP and let us know if you will be eating or not. This will ensure that San Jose has proper seating and enough food. RSVP to [email protected].
If you feel called to lead our meeting in the Invocation or the Pledge of Allegiance, please email [email protected]