The Changing Face of Transportation
Happy Summer Part 2!
In honor of this summer, below is some completely random summertime trivia:
- On September 13, 1922, the temperature in the shade in the Libyan Desert reached 136 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The NL has now won three MLB All-Star Games in a row. Woohoo!
- Did you know a queen bee lays 1,500 eggs a day?
- The average American eats around 5 1/2 gallons of ice cream a year. July is the National Ice Cream month because it is the month the most ice cream is sold. [Perhaps we should all switch over to FroYo -- it's healthier, right?]
- A cricket's chirp frequency fluctuates with temperature. Count the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds, then add 37 to whatever number you reach and you have an approximate outside temperature (in Fahrenheit)!
Feel free to use some of these at the dinner table to make yourself look like that genius that you think you are. If you get a couple of 'wows' on the faces of your family, be sure to thank us.
This newsletter features:
- New Website Preview
- Congrats to Paula Wahl
- KYSITE Golf Outing Financial Summary
- New Feature: Transportation Term of the Day!
- AASHTO Bridge Guide Article
- Weird Signs
- Quick Hits
Let us know if you need anything from KYSITE -- we're here to help!
- KYSITE Officers
Sneak Peak of New KYSITE Site
While we'd like to say that our phones have been ringing off the hook for a preview of the new website, that's not quite the case. However, deep down, we know you are excited to see it.
This new site is much more interactive than what we've had in the past. In fact, we encourage you to stay active on the site.
Keep in mind that we still have to go through some of that technical 'stuff' to get the site on its proper hosting server. But until then, comments are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Therefore, without any further discussion, here is a link to the new site.
Congrats Paula Wahl!
As transportation professionals, we are always excited to see one of our own get a promotion. At KYSITE, we are even more excited that it happened to one of us. That being said, let's all congratulate Paula Wahl being named County Engineer for the Louisville Jefferson County Metro Government.
Paula is a long-term member of KYSITE and served as President in 2003.
A link to the full press release can be found here.
KYSITE Golf Outing Financial Report
The numbers have been finalized for the KYSITE golf outing from last month. We are pleased to announce that $1857.18 was raised for the KYSITE Student Scholarship Fund. Thanks to Stuart Sparks for his hard work on organizating this event -- it is very much appreciated.
Transportation Term of the Day
Definition: Someone who rides their bike against the flow of traffic.
Example: "The defendant blamed the collision on the fact that he had to take evasive action when he encountered a bike salmon in the bike lane."
Silent Auction Requests
Is John Calipari your next door neighbor? Was Charlie Strong your childhood best friend? It's time to reach our to your connections and add to our Silent Auction donation list.
For those of you who are regulars to our KYSITE Annual Meeting in November, you know that one of the best parts of the evening is the Slient Auction which is used to raise money for our student scholarship. For those that haven't been before, this is a great way to get a deal on a holiday gift or a family outing.
We are very thankful for our donors who have supported us over the years. While we fully expect to get many of those items this year, we thought we would reach out to our membership to identify additional items which may be of interest. Therefore, if you know someone / someplace willing to make a donation, please contact Anne Warnick with ideas.
Bridge In A Backpack
By: Billy Garrison (GRW)