We will be starting a new concept where each month will will bring you a success story on one of our own Handmade Tile Association artists. This month we start with Mercedes Austin of Mercury Mosaics. Her success in recent media publications, television spots along with her ever-increasing business shows how tenacity and clever thinking work best for small business owners.
The following are the steps she took in acquring her recent editorial in the Mpls/St.Paul magazine
coming out in July.
1. Mercedes of Mercury Mosaics
had been advertising on and off with MSP magazine for the last 5 years.
2. About 3 years ago, she gave her advertising rep a beautiful mirror for the upcoming birth of her child. That gift is still talked about today.
3. At that time, she also included her magazine rep on all her mailings, she wanted to keep her up-to-date on her current projects and promotions.
4. She attended HTA meetings--much more steadily this past year.
5. She made a conscious effort to attend events. She was looking to meet new people and make connections.
6. Also, at that time, she would send out her catalogues to designers she read about and was interested in their work. Mercedes estimates she sent out about 25 a month and wrote a short note with each mailing how she admired their work and how she would like to gain their business.
7. She then met Melinda Nelson at the Woodland Fireplace
HTA meeting. She made the connection with her and listened to Melindaʼs instructions on "sending pictures and sending a quick note" when a new project came along.
8. Mercedes sent 2 notes and 2 photos to Melinda since the Woodland meeting.
9. A few weeks ago, Melinda called Mercedes and mentioned that she would like some information on a project and some more photos....could Mercedes send this within a few days?
10. Of course, Mercedes jumped on this chance---not knowing where this might lead.
11. Within a week Mercedes received another message from Melinda. Mercedes would be featured in the next MSP Home magazine.
While this takes time and energy, marketing yourself is how to grow your business!