|We Would Like To Thank The Following Sponsors:|
Benjamin Moore & Co.
Charles Luck Stone Center
HOME & DESIGN Magazine
Salvations Architectural Furnishings
Welcome to Our February Newsletter!
Welcome IFDA Washington Chapter members! In this month's newsletter, read up on the latest events and news from IFDA Washington. There is a great happy hour in Bethesda coming up with the District Design Society, and many other reminders and events for IFDA happenings! There is no better time than now to get involved in IFDA.
Invitation to Mingle With District Design Society
The next DDS happy hour will be hosted at FOOD & WINE CO. in Bethesda, MD on Thursday, March 3rd, from 6-8PM. Come join fellow IFDA members and meet members from the District Design Society and more! Enjoy a nice glass of wine while meeting new people in the industry from the DC Metro area.
Date: Thursday, March 3rd
Location: FOOD & WINE CO.
7272 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814
- Laura Fox, VP of Programs
|Tea Time & Tour at Hillwood Mansion |Thursday, April 7th, IFDA members will have the opportunity to visit Hillwood mansion and gardens in Washington DC for a lovely spring tour, followed by tea. The time is still TBD, but we will let people know as soon as we set a date. There is a suggested donation of $15 for each adult. Laura Fox would like to start getting RSVP's for this event in order to set up a tea time for the date. Please RSVP by March 24th to email@example.com. This is sure to be a beautiful event!
|Hillwood Mansion in Washington DC|
- Laura Fox, VP of Programs
|A Few Reminders...
|Designers will find inspiration through local jewelers like Tiny Jewel Box in Washington DC.|
- The Washington Design Center's "Dream Home" this season has challenged eight area designers to take their inspiration from eight local jewelers. The Dream Home opens to the public on March 18th. Weekday hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday, and there is no charge for admission. Learn more at the WDC Dream Home website.
- IFDA Washington members are invited to attend "The Psychology of Color" from IFDA Philadelphia - Tuesday, March 8th, from 11am to 1pm, at the Marketplace Design Center, conducted by IFDA and ASID member, author, and educator Susan Slotkis of Profiles/Personalized Interiors based in NYC. Book signing and luncheon to follow. Ticket and other information (including admission to the Philadelphia Flower Show happening concurrently) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Sponsorship Guidelines From National|
Do you know a prospective international sponsor for IFDA? There are tremendous benefits to businesses who are able to make the financial commitment:
- Chapters are required to recognize international sponsors according to sponsorship level
- A listing of the Chapter recognition responsibilities for the international sponsorship program are listed on the local marketing opportunities section for each level in the international sponsorship prospectus available on www.box.net.
- International Sponsorship Levels:
- Platinum - $15,000
- Gold - $10,000
- Silver - $6,000
- Sponsorship commitment is one year.
- Example of a listing of an international silver level sponsor:
Benjamin Moore & Co.
Contact Jennifer Jones, IFDA Account Executive, at email@example.com
IFDA Symposium: Call for 2011 Honorary Recognition Award Nominations
The Honorary Recognition Award is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon an IFDA member. Initiated in 1977, the award provides association members an opportunity to honor one of their own. IFDA's International Board of Directors and Awards Committee are pleased to announce the call for nominations for the 2011 Honorary Recognition Award.
While it is not mandatory that the Honorary Recognition Award be granted annually, it may be awarded to more than one IFDA member in a given year. Members to date who have received the Honorary Recognition Award include:
Elizabeth Brown, FIFDA
Jeanne M. Byington, FIFDA
Sharon Clancy Lien, FIFDA
Claire K. Coleman, FIFDA
Kathleen Frederick, FIFDA
Nancy High, FIFDA
Sarah B. Jenkins, FIFDA
Bonnie L. Peterson, FIFDA
Harriet Schoenthal, FIFDA
To submit a nomination, please access the form by clicking here and return it to IFDA headquarters no later than June 1, 2011. For the complete list of Honorary Award rules and submission requirements, please visit the Honorary Recognition Award section of the IFDA website http://www.ifda.com/content/honorary-recognition-award.
The recipients of this distinguished award will be recognized at the IFDA Symposium Awards Dinner on Saturday, September 17, 2011. The Awards Dinner will be held in conjunction with IFDA's 2011 Symposium scheduled for September 15-17, 2011 at the Hotel Sofitel in Philadelphia, PA.
The Board of Directors and Awards Committee thank you for your participation in recognizing the important contributions of our fellow members.
IFDA Awards Committee
Janet Stevenson, IFDA President, Committee Chair
Susan Hirsh, IFDA Immediate Past President
Claire Coleman, FIFDA, IFDA Past President
Lauren Shelby, President, N. California Chapter
Joan Scheib, President, Illinois Chapter
Sue Adams, Past President, New England Chapter
Diane Fairburn, President, Richmond Chapter
Jacqueline Passaro, President, Washington Chapter
|IFDA 2011 Membership Recruitment Contest|IFDA Headquarters is pleased to announce the 2011 Membership Recruitment Contest for individual IFDA members. All IFDA members are encouraged to reach out to their fellow professionals in the furnishings and design industry and recruit them to become members to IFDA! The top 3 individual members that refer the most new members to the IFDA during the January 1, 2011-July 1, 2011 contest term will receive one of the following gifts:
- 1st place: $100 American Express gift card
- 2nd place: $50 American Express gift card
- 3rd place: $25 American Express gift card
Participating in the 2011 Membership Recruitment Contest for individual IFDA members is an easy way for members to take an active role in expanding the ranks of IFDA members located all over the world. Member Recruitment Tips:
Here are the contest rules and regulations:
- Identify potential new members: potential new members can include co-workers, industry colleagues, members of similar industry associations, non-members who attend Chapter events or students attending a design industry related undergraduate or graduate program.
- Be familiar with the list of member benefits that IFDA offers. The benefits range from discount GEICO insurance policies to a members' only registration fee for the 211 Symposium scheduled for September 15-17th. For a complete list of member benefits, please visit the member benefits page on the IFDA website.
- Invite the prospective member to an IFDA chapter event to acquaint them with IFDA
- You must be a 2011 IFDA member in good standing to win.
- Paid chapter staff are not eligible to win.
- The new member must note the referral name on their application at the time of submission.
- Total applies only to IFDA new members. Non-renewed members do not qualify towards total.
- Contest term is January 1-July 1, 2011.
Do you have a question about IFDA's 2011 membership contest? Please contact headquarters at 610.535.6422 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck to all contest participants!
Don't forget to renew
your IFDA membership for 2011 before February 28th!
|In Remembrance of Harriet Schoenthal|
The IFDA Educational Foundation announces with sadness the recent passing of Harriet Schoenthal, Honorary Trustee, and celebrates the accomplishments and generosity she demonstrated throughout her life.
Through the years, Harriet was a faithful supporter of the Educational Foundation, funding the important Schoenthal IFDA Leasdership Forum. As a way to recognize her dedication of Honorary Trustee Harriet Schoenthal, the Educational Foundation renamed the Executive Leadership Grant to the Schoenthal IFDA Leadership Forum. The Forum provides a high caliber interactive leadership program, which coincides with the IFDA Conference/Symposium and provides training for future leaders of IFDA and the design/furnishings industry.
Harriet was president of Harriet Schoenthal Inc., a Manhattan advertising, marketing and public relations firm, representing such clients as the Hardwood Manufacturers Association, Baldwin Piano, Hickory Chair, Swalm Furniture, and countless other high profile brands.
One of IFDA's most consistently active members - for 50+ years - she joined what was the National Home Fashions League in August, 1960. Harriet served on the New York Chapter Board of Directors and was a New York Chapter President. An IFDA Fellow (FIFDA), she was the 2007 recipient of the prestigious IFDA National Honorary Recognition award. She was also on the board of the Educational Foundation and was an Honorary Trustee.
Harriet will be missed and long remembered.
FROM THE PRESIDENT - JACKIE PASSARO
I am pleased to introduce the 2011 Washington Chapter of IFDA Board of Directors:
President Elect - Denise Willard: Owner & Interior Designer, Décor by Denise (email@example.com)
Treasurer - John Petro: Owner, Petro Design/Build (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary - Amy Chester: Interior Designer, Marlies Venute Interiors, Inc. (email@example.com)
VP of Educational Foundation - Marlies Venute: Owner & Interior Designer, Marlies Venute Interiors, Inc. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VP of Communications - Jeanne Blackburn: President, Ariel Publications (email@example.com)
VP of Membership/Membership Retention - Lynn Madyson: Owner & Interior Designer, Lynn Madyson Designs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VP of Programs - Laura Fox: Residential Sales Specialist (email@example.com)
VP of Hospitality - Julianne Yurek: Director of Marketing, Hardwood Artisans (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VP of Financial Resources - Feodora Stancioff: Owner & Interior Designer, Feodora Stancioff & Associates (email@example.com)
Student Liaison - Cotty Farcas: Interior Design Student (firstname.lastname@example.org)
As we continue throughout the year we will spotlight the Board of Directors in the monthly Newsletter.
I have included all of the Board member's email addresses for a reason: several of the VP's are looking for help! For example, VP of Programs is a huge job and each event could use some extra hands in terms of planning and executing. VP of Financial Resources is responsible for organizing our annual Resources Table Top Show. The Resources show takes a lot of planning and we are currently recruiting members to help on the committee. Please consider joining a committee and become a more active member.
Education Foundation...Deadline is Approaching! The deadline is fast approaching! The Washington Chapter of IFDA is accepting applications for the scholarships and grants we offer students planning to persue professional careers in the industry - but only until the end of next month, March 31st, 2011. The IFDA Education Foundation awards over $30,000 annually and is a wonderful opportunity for a serious student of interior design. For detailed information about criteria, eligibility requirements and the application process, please refer to the website - www.ifdaef.org.
- Marlies Venute, VP of Education
More Great Events - Don't Miss Out!
- Bare Bones Tour of the Design House this Saturday, February 26th, from 10am to 4pm. Come out to support designers as they transform a 1925 tutor estate this spring. The Design House kicks off this Saturday with the Bare Bones Tour, which runs from 10am to 4pm and costs $20. A $5 discount will be applied to those who buy a ticket for the "after" showing that runs from April 8th to May 9th. For more information and tickets, please click here. Seeing the home this weekend will make the results that more dramatic! The house is located at 3134 Ellicott St NW, Washington DC, 20008.
- Karim Rashid Lecture, Thursday March 24th, at 6:30pm. FREE ADMISSION! Don't miss this great lecture at the Foggy Bottom campus of George Washington University. The lecture will be held in the Mccrea Auditorium of Funger Hall. Doors open at 6pm. Meet Karim at the reception and book signing after the lecture!
- RSVP soon for the Picasso Event with IFDA Richmond, April 1st, 2011. Don't miss Picasso at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, April 1st, 2011. Registration for this great event closes on March 1st! Join IFDA Richmond for the exhibit, Picasso at Hand as it makes its only stop on the East coast. Tickets are $40 for IFDA members, $50 for non-members. We hope IFDA Washington members will join IFDA Richmond for this wonderful event! Register here. For more information, contact Jennifer Helton:
- Jenifer Helton
International Furnishings and Design Association Richmond Chapter