Do words like these come to mind when you
some of the employees you supervise? Then
you need an attitude adjustment!
There are only 3 options for you in dealing
- Change the way you think about the employee
- Help the employee out the door
- Make the business decision to endure
employee is simply indispensable (and don't
anyone to agree with you)
1. Change the Way You Think about the
Employee because you are of
no use to the employee with your
current attitude. Seriously, what are the
you will help them succeed in their job and
positively to the company given thoughts like
Most people come to work hoping to do well
appreciated for their efforts. For any
reasons, that doesn't always happen.
little you really know. Yes, you have an
of opinions, and right now you are probably
sure there is a trail of deep evidence. But
employee really been given a chance to succeed?
Does the employee:
Since few supervisors can say 'yes' with
even with their best employees in mind, I
can do so with your underachievers. They
- Have a clear understanding of
- Know how well he/she is really doing?
- Understand why it is important to do
how to improve?
- Get positive feedback when doing things
- Have a trusted supervisor who wants the
employee to succeed?
2. Help the Employee out the Door, but
with care, a fair process and appropriate
documentation. If you've given an employee a
chance and then some, and an employee just
good fit, you are not helping the company, the
employee, or your other employees by
bad situation. I hope you hire well,
and never get to this point, but it does happen.
3. Make the Business Decision to Endure
the Employee is Simply Indispensable -
Go directly to #1, do not pass GO, and do not
a year-end bonus.