Periodic updates about issues and actions concerning New York City's Carriage Horses +
Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages
Horses Without Carriages International
PLEASE FORWARD TO LISTS, FRIENDS & COLLEAGUES ** June 4th rally and press conference for new bill to ban hdcs ** Unions ** AFS animal issues conference ** ** Cozumel **
AVELLA & ROSENTHAL INTRODUCE BILL TO BAN HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES
now it is up to us!!
On Saturday, June 4th - Horses Without Carriages International Day - Senator Tony Avella and Assemblymember Linda Rosenthal introduced a new bill to ban the horse-drawn carriage industry in NYC. They were joined at the press conference and rally by Tony and Emmy award winning actress Swoosie Kurtz, representatives from the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages, Equine Advocates, Heart for Animals, Friends of Animals, In Defense Animals, League of Humane Voters and about 40 horse advocates.
The event was picked up by the media:
Please take the opportunity to comment on the media blogs. This has been a long hard fight. The media does not understand or care about the subtleties of the issue so it is up to us to get them out. One of the most important things to know about this bill is that it is very similar to the bill that Tony Avella introduced into the City Council in 2007. The media suggests that it went nowhere as if no body cared. Not true.
- The bill did not move forward in the City Council because of Speaker Christine Quinn's opposition. Quinn got her present job as Speaker due to the hard core political influence of her "god father" the late Tom Manton, the power boss of the Queens Democratic party; former Congressman and former Councilmember. He was very close to the carriage drivers and gave them strong support.
- There was plenty of public support for this bill when it was in the Council. But it was virtually ignored because of Quinn's opposition. In NYC government, the Council Speaker has all the power to make or break a bill.
NOW IT IS UP TO ALL OF US
what you can do to get the bill passed
IF YOU LIVE WITHIN NY STATE: , please write to your Senator and Assemblymember.
- Click here for the Senate web site to find your Senator
- Click here for the Assembly web site to find your Assemblymember
IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE NY STATE: Please send an e-mail to the following:
- Senator Andrew J. Lanza - Chairman Cities committee - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assemblymember Carl E. Heastie - Chairman Cities committee - HeastieC@assembly.state.ny.us
Ask your Senator to support S5013. Ask your Assemblymember to support A7748. "Prohibits the operation of horse drawn cabs in the city of New York; defines the circumstances under which sale or disposal of a horse shall be deemed humane.'Click here to read the bill.
A WORD ABOUT UNIONS
Unions have been essential in building a strong middle class by helping to get decent livable wages and benefits for its members. But the Teamsters Union that represents the carriage horse trade does not act in the capacity of a real union shop. Instead, they act as a lobby group or a public relations firm. The local includes both owners and workers. It does not offer collective bargaining, nor does it provide benefits like health care. The strength of union membership is in impacting wages, work hours, benefits and safety conditions. But this local simply collects dues from the members. The carriage drivers were already lobbying the City Council for a rate increase when the union got involved.
This is not what unions are supposed to be about. Anyone who is a real union member should be offended by this ruse. It does not give the Teamsters a good name to be part of this deception. See this video on Youtube.
CONFERENCE INCLUDES PANEL ON HORSE ISSUES
June 25th and June 26th
The Anti Fur Society will hold their first ever conference on June 25th and 26th. It promises to be very interesting and a lot of fun. It takes place in Alexandria, Virginia, which is very close to Washington, DC.
- Check out the Program
- Check out the Speakers
- Register - Registration is FREE. If you choose, you can pay $40 for the vegan reception on Saturday night.
I will be on a panel about Horses called Horse exploitation: The Great Betrayal, speaking about the carriage horse issue. Speakers include:
Other panels sound very engaging and include discussions on fur bearing animals, empowering the grass roots animal rights movement; companion animals; and art & media to raise AR awareness. I hope to see you there. We have several people going from NYC - if you want to join us, let me know.
- John Holland / Equine Welfare Alliance - horse slaughter
- Laura Allen / Animal Law Coalition - wild mustang issue
- Stuart Chaifetz / Shark - horses in rodeos
- Elizabeth Forel / Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages - carriage horses
- Allen, Forel, Holland -- Political Activism for Horses
- Mercado - The Horses of San Barnabe
- Azar - Illegal horse slaughter in Florida
COZUMEL - PLEASE HELP THESE HORSES
Please send one e-mail
The activists from Cozumel in Mexico have not gone away. They had a set back recently when the new mayor allowed the carriage drivers to continue to work, ignoring their own laws. But the campaign continues. Jennifer, a woman from the US, has joined the campaign against this very inhumane tourist trade. After visiting Cozumel and hoping for a nice peaceful vacation, she came face to face with the horses. Seeing how they looked, she could not forget them and has started her own campaign.
Please take a moment to send Jennifer an e-mail - email@example.com - She is collecting e-mails to be presented to the mayor when she returns in July of this year. Let her know how this is a very inhumane industry and should be abolished.
This is a link to her blog Stop Horse Abuse in Cozumel. The drawing here is by Chloe, an eight year old.
HELP OUR ORGANIZATION BY SHOPPING ON LINE.
Through a free registration with iGive, when you buy merchandise on line, your purchase will help us. There are over 700 stores that include such popular ones as Amazon.com, Staples, Best Buy and Barnes & Nobles. Even Cafe Press is available if you purchase some of our merchandise. Click here to get started.
JOIN US ON FACE BOOK & SIGN ONLINE PETITION
See our Facebook page called No Walk in the Park. And while you are there, please join another anti carriage horse page by a colleague called 212HorsePower
"Never doubt that a small group of
thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever
has." Margaret Mead.
Thank you for caring about the horses,
Elizabeth Forel - Coalition to Ban
Horse-Drawn Carriages - a standing committee
of The Coalition for New York City Animals,
to our campaign to ban
the inhumane and unsafe carriage horse industry.