|eNews Update | April 19, 2012 | www.ca-greenbusinessalliance.com|
The California Business Alliance for a Green Economy is a growing coalition of more than 1,200 mostly small and mainstream businesses, associations and organizations from around the state who support the creation of a clean, green and efficient economy. To fulfill that mission, our priority is supporting the implementation of California's clean energy policies.
Below are recent news stories, editorials and letters, including contributions from Alliance members. In addition, we have included profiles of Alliance members and a list of upcoming events that may interest you. Thank you for your continued support.
| In The News
- This San Francisco Chronicle article explains a new study, which finds that California is one of only nine states that has developed comprehensive strategies to prepare for the impacts of climate change.
- A new report from PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture Capital Association finds that California received more than half of the country's $28 billion in venture capital investments in 2011. This translates to California attracting more venture capital than any other state, pulling in almost five times as much money as No. 2-ranked Massachusetts. See the Los Angeles Times article for more information.
- This article in Renewable Energy World states that clean energy patents hit a record high in 2011, up 450 patents relative to 2010 according to the Clean Energy Patent Growth Index. California continues its sharp rise with 261 clean energy patents, up 54, to lead the U.S.
- The New York Times reports on a U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics green jobs survey, which finds that green goods and services accounted for 2.4 percent of total U.S. employment in 2010. California had the highest number of green jobs, 338,400, representing 2.3 percent of the state's total employment.
- Fabian Nunez, former California Assembly Speaker and author of AB 32, writes in the Sacramento Bee that cap and trade is contributing to economic growth and expansion of venture capital investment throughout the state.
- A new UCLA report, "Spending California's Cap-and-Trade Auction Revenue: Understanding the Sinclair Paint Risk Spectrum," explores the legal considerations surrounding how to spend the auction revenues that the state is expected to collect from its cap and trade program. See the San Jose Mercury News article and the report to learn more.
Announcements from Our Members
San Francisco-based Business Council on Climate Change* (BC3) is offering discounted tickets to attend the Silicon Valley Leadership Group* (San Jose) 2012 Sustainable Corporation Conference, which will be held at the Oracle Conference Center in Redwood City on May 2. Through BC3, registrants can use the code "SVSC12partnerBC3" for 33 percent off the already reduced early bird price. This offer is good until April 27. Learn more about the event at: www.thesustainablecorp.org.
The CLEAN Coalition* (Palo Alto) is pleased to announce that earlier this month, the Los Angeles City Council cleared the way for the launch of an innovative rooftop solar energy program, approving a measure to allow the Department of Water and Power to move forward with the CLEAN LA Solar Program.
Options PetersenDean Roofing and Solar Systems* (Newark) has donated a solar system to Hirsch Elementary School in the Fremont Unified School District. There was a celebratory ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony on April 18 at the school, with the Fremont Chamber of Commerce* (Fremont) supporting the event.
* Denotes a member of the Alliance
Green California Summit and Exposition, April 26-27
The 2012 Green California Summit and Exposition, hosted by Green Technology* (Pasadena) will be held on April 26-27 at the Sacramento Convention Center. With the theme of "Building a Green Future for the Golden State," come discover the innovations in policy, practice, and technology that can keep green programs healthy and expanding.
The Summit offers education sessions, keynote presentations, an Expo featuring green products and services, the Summit's annual Leadership Awards, and resources to help you and your organization achieve your sustainability goals.
Green Technology is offering a special discount to Alliance members. Enter the code "GBA" and receive a 20 percent discount off your registration.
Visit www.greentechnology.org to learn more and to register.
|Los Angeles Business Council Sustainability Summit, April 27
The Los Angeles Business Council's 6th Annual Sustainabiltiy Summit will be held at the Getty Center in Los Angeles on April 27. The theme for this year's event is "Insights and Opportunities in the Business of Sustainability" with a focus on local energy and global markets.
The event features presentations by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols, state and local government officials, and business leaders. Registration includes breakfast and a networking lunch reception.
Event organizers encourage those interested in attending to register soon, as the event sells out every year. For more information and to register, visit: www.labusinesscouncil.org/programs.php.
|Sustainable Brands 2012 Innovation Open, June 4-7
Sustainable Brands Innovation Open (SB Innovation Open* - San Francisco) is a business plan competition taking place this year in San Diego on June 4-7. It is a showcase of creativity, innovative thinking and solution based approaches that seek to make a significant environmental, social and economic impact within the business world. In addition, it fosters collaboration between early stage eco-entrepreneurs and executives from some of the most influential brands in the industry, as well as socially responsible investors who can help take their ideas to the next level.
For more information, click here or see the press release.
|The Mediterranean City: A Conference on Climate Change Adaptation, June 25-27
Join a network of experts to discuss adaptation strategies for the growing impacts of climate change at The Mediterranean City: Conference on Climate Change Adaptation taking place June 25-27 at the Sheraton Downtown Hotel in Los Angeles.
The conference will initiate an ongoing collaboration of cities working together to share ideas, needs and strategies to realistically adapt to the current and future impacts of climate change as they similarly affect the five Mediterranean-climate regions of the world. The conference will bring together an international network of experts from the academic, policy, business, public health and government worlds, and will stand as an example for how cities can work together across regional and national boundaries to bring more resources and knowledge to building solutions.
*Denotes a member of the Alliance
Green Life Eco Fest
This year's Green Life Eco Festival* (Grass Valley) will take place on June 22-23 at the historic Julia Morgan House Land Trust property in Grass Valley. Entry will be free to all.
Green Life Eco Fest seeks to inspire people to act and be an integral part of creating change in their community. Green LIfe's mission is to bring awareness to the lost homemaking skills of the past and to show people that it is possible to once again get back to doing things for themselves.
The festival will feature educational and inspiring speakers and presenters, performers, children's activities, a café and tea house, film screenings, child care, informative workshops, and more. Ticket prices for workshops and speakers will be announced soon.
Green Life is still looking for vendors, volunteers, and sponsors. For more information contact email@example.com or visit www.greenlifeecofest.org.
Director, California Business Alliance for a Green Economy
|Upcoming Events |
- April 19: Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS) Forum (Los Angeles)
- April 26-27: Green California Summit and Exposition (Sacramento)
See article (below left); Alliance member discount code: "GBA"
- April 27: Los Angeles Business Council 2012 Sustainability Summit (Los Angeles)
See article (below left) for more information.
- May 1: Transportation Choices Summit (Sacramento)
- May 2: Silicon Valley Leadership Group's Sustainable Corporation 2012 Conference (Redwood City)
- May 3: 5th Annual Spring Green Expo (Los Angeles)
- May 11: California Economic Summit (Santa Clara)
- May 11: Sustainable Enterprise Conference (Rohnert Park)
Use "SAVEGREEN" discount code for $20 off.
- June 4-7: Sustainable Brands 2012 Innovation Open (San Diego)
See article (below left) for more information.
- June 13: CoolCalifornia Awards (Sacramento)
- June 22-24: Green Life EcoFest (Grass Valley)
See Member Profile for more information.
- June 25-27: The Mediterranean City: A Conference on Climate Change Adaptation (Los Angeles)
See article (below left) for more information.
- August 28-29: Women in Green Forum 2012 (Santa Monica)
|Help Grow the Alliance |
The Alliance is made up of more than 1,200 mostly small and mainstream businesses and associations from around the state. Help spread the word and grow our numbers!
Get your daily dose of good news about California's growing clean energy economy. Click below to visit the website and sign up for "The Daily Bright Spot"
Clean Cars Campaign
Learn about the latest clean cars news and sign up for the Campaign's monthly eNews.
Are there others in your office or company that would like to receive our monthly eNews? Please forward their contact information to: