UTC Banner
Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission                                       September 2012
Table of Contents
Stay Connected
What's Up (and Down) with Energy Rates
Back to School Train Safety
Fall into Safe Digging
Problem? Call the Commission!
Need Help?
Need Telephone Assistance?
Need telephone assistance?

If you need help paying your telephone bill, watch this video!

Quick Links

UTC Website
1-888-333-WUTC (9882)

Call 8-1-1


Commission Calendar 

Sept. 13, 9:30 a.m.
 Sept. 27, 9:30 a.m. 
Oct. 11, 9:30 a.m. 
 What consumers are saying...
"The UTC is too good to be a government agency!"
 - Mark, Seattle 

Need Help?
Call the Commission!

1-888-333-WUTC (9882)
I want to stay connected!
Welcome to the Utilities and Transportation Commission e-newsletter. If you have questions about UTC Connections, please email consumer@utc.wa.gov.

The commission works every day to protect consumers by ensuring that utility and transportation services are fairly priced, available, reliable and safe. This bi-monthly e-newsletter is intended to provide you with current information about regulated industries, current issues and topics that impact you.
Message from the Chairman - Staying Connected
More than ever, people need to stay connected to community resources and emergency services. Access to local telephone service can be the difference between finding help and being isolated.

The Washington Telephone Assistance Program (WTAP) offers eligible residents a low-cost landline phone for about $8 a month. If you, or someone you know, is receiving assistance from the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), you may quality for the WTAP program.
Gov. Gregoire has proclaimed September 10-16 Washington Telephone Assistance Awareness Week, recognizing the importance of staying connected to emergency help, government services and community resources.

To sign up, call your local telephone provider and provide your DSHS client ID number. You can receive a low-to-no cost phone line installation, and basic local phone service for $8 a month with no deposit required. If landline telephone service is not available, WTAP provides a voice mailbox and personal telephone number. Potential employers need a number to call; WTAP can provide it.

If you are having a problem signing up for benefits or receiving a WTAP discount, call the commission's Consumer Protection Help Line at 1-888-333-WUTC(9882) or email consumer@utc.wa.gov. For more information on telephone assistance, click here.
- Jeff Goltz, Chairman
What's Up (and Down) with Energy Rates?
What's Up (and Down) with Energy Rates?Do you wonder what is going on with energy rates these days? The commission has developed a new video that explains the process of setting rates and how it impacts your monthly utility bill. To watch the video on the state of energy rates above, click here 

Back to School Train Safety

Send the kids back to school with these train-track safety tips:

  • The only safe place to cross is at a designated public crossing with either a crossbuck, flashing red lights or a gate. If you cross at any other place, you are trespassing and can be ticketed or fined.
  • It can take a mile or more to stop a train, so a locomotive engineer who suddenly sees someone on the tracks will likely be unable to stop in time.
  • Do not cross the tracks immediately after a train passes. A second train might be blocked by the first. Trains can come from either direction. Wait until you can see clearly around the first train in both directions.
  • Be aware trains do not follow set schedules. Any time is train time!

For more information on train safety, click here.

Fall Into Safe Digging

Planning to get a few outdoor projects done before the cold winter weather returns? Don't let your haste stop you from a very important and necessary step - calling 811 for a free utility locate.


If you will be digging into the ground more than 12 inches you are required by law to make the call. Hitting an underground utility cannot only be costly and hinder your project, but you could be putting your safety at risk.


Be sure to call 811 at least two business days before you plan to dig. For more information about safe digging and 811, click here.

Problem? Call the Commission!
If you've experienced a billing or service dispute with a company regulated by the commission, contact our Consumer Protection Help Line for assistance with your complaint. Our consumer specialists will work with you and the company to come to a resolution. For more information on when to call the commission, visit www.utc.wa.gov/consumers.
To open a complaint or get more information on your issue, call the Consumer Protection Help Line at 1-888-333-WUTC (9882) or submit and Online Complaint Form.
Are You on Facebook?  

Stay connected to news, events and more on the commission's Facebook page! Visit www.facebook.com/WAUTC and become a fan today!

Find us on Facebook

Get HelpWhat Can the UTC Do For You?

Do you need help with:

When to Call the Commission


Consumer Help Line

1-888-333-WUTC (9882)


Tell a Friend 
Please take a moment and forward the UTC Connections e-newsletter to a friend, family member or co-worker who may be interested in similar issues.  Just click on "Forward email" below, or share via your social network using the buttons at the top of the page.
Thank you.