UTC Banner
Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission                               December 2008
Table of Contents
All My Sons Movers Cancelled
Energy Rebates
Electricity Vampires
Energy Saving Holiday Lights
UTC Help
Electric and Natural Gas Rate Adjustments
More Information...

Managing Your Energy Bills

Purchased Gas Adjustments

Low Income Energy Assistance

Don't Lose Your Signal!
 If you rely on a rooftop antenna or "rabbit ears" to watch television, a TV converter box is one option to help you transition to digital television before 
   February 17, 2009,
when all signals become digital.
Anyone who has cable or satellite service or owns a digital television will not be affected and will not require a converter box.
 The federal government is offering housholds two $40 coupons to help pay the cost of the TV converter box.
 Apply today for your coupon,
click here.


More Info About
Railroad Safety
Quick Links
UTC Contacts
1-888-333-WUTC (9882) 

Call Before You Dig
1-800-424-5555 or 811

Commission Calendar
Upcoming Open Meetings
  Dec. 23, 9:30 am 
  Jan. 15, 9:30 am 
Jan. 29, 9:30 am
Welcome to the Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC) e-newsletter. If you have questions about UTC Connections, please e-mail

The UTC works every day to protect consumers by ensuring that utility and transportation services are fairly priced, available, reliable and safe. This bi-monthly e-newsletter is intended to provide you with current information about
regulated industries, current issues and topics that impact you.

Thank you.
UTC Cancels All My Sons Residential Moving Permit

The commission cancelled the residential moving permit of All My Sons, a Kent-based residential moving company, for deceptive business practices.

A commission investigation and audit revealed that the moving company had repeatedly overcharged customers, inaccurately estimated the costs of customers' moves, and mishandled damage claims. All My Sons has the highest number of consumer complaints of all residential moving companies in Washington.

As of November 13, the company is no longer allowed to perform in-state residential moves. To read more, click here.

To file a complaint against a moving company or report an illegal move, call the commission at 1-888-333-WUTC (9882) or e-mail consumer@utc.wa.gov
Planning to move? For important information on hiring a moving company, click here.
Go Green to Save Green  
Energy rebates are available to many residential customers looking to increase their home's energy efficiency. You can reduce your energy bills by improving insulation, upgrading your furnace or water heater, or buying energy efficient appliances.To learn more about energy efficiency, click here.

PSE offers up to $2,200 in efficiency rebates for customers who make energy efficient improvements or purchases for their home. Visit www.pse.com or contact a PSE Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482.

Avista offers energy rebates, coupons and incentives for home and appliance upgrades. Visit Avista's Green Page www.everylittlebit.com or call 1-800-227-9187.

Pacific Power offers a Home Energy Saving Program designed to encourage energy effiecient upgrades. Visit www.homeenergysavingspp.net or call 1-800-942-0266.

Before you make any energy improvements, contact your utility provider to check for available rebates and guidelines.
Disconnected? What to do next!
If you receive a disconnect notice from your electric, natural gas, telephone or water company, contact the company as soon as you receive a first notice. You may be able to make payment arrangements to avoid disconnection. If you have already been disconnected, contact the company immediately for assistance, ask to speak with a supervisor. Be prepared to make a payment and pay a reconnection fee. You will be required to keep all payment arrangements, or your service could be disconnected without further notice.

If you are not able to get your service reconnected, call the commission at 1-888-333-WUTC (9882) to see if other arrangements can be made. All utilities, except water companies, have 24 hours to reconnect your service from the time of payment.
Plug Loads: Electricity Vampires
What is plugged into your home's outlets right now? Microwave, television, cell phone chargers, the list goes on and on. Each of those plugs are adding to your energy costs, even when the device is turned off.
These plug loads, known as electricity vampires, continue to run a current through the outlet, causing your meter to record it as usage, adding to your monthly energy costs. Plug loads alone can account for 13 percent of a households' monthly usage.
Kill these electricity vampires by unplugging non-essential appliances when not in use. For hard to reach outlets, use power strips to reduce plug load volume as well as protect appliances and electronics from power surges.
To test your home's plug load, purchase an electricity usage monitor (above) for about $20. This device will measure energy use for appliances plugged into the meter.
Energy Efficient Holiday Lighting
LED LightIt's time to deck the halls, but how much will your holiday cheer add to your energy bill?
To save money on holiday lighting, try Light Emitting Diodes (LED) bulbs. 
The traditional holiday bulb uses six watts per bulb compared to the LED bulb, which uses .08 watts per bulb. LED bulbs also generate less heat, so they last up to 100,000 hours longer than traditional bulbs. Limited heat also reduces the risk of fire.   
Have a safe and energy efficient holiday season!
 Get Help
What Can the UTC Do For You? 
Tell a Friend 
Please take a moment and forward the UTC Connections e-newsletter to a friend, family member or co-worker who may be interested in similar issues.  Just click on "Forward email" below.  Thank you.