KAR volunteers - we need your help
Volunteers are the backbone of the Association and the glue that holds it together. Consider serving on a committee - it allows you to be a part of the decision making process, it acquaints you with changes in the law, it involves you in educational opportunities. Being involved also gives you input into the structure and future of the Association and gives you the privilege of working with other members you may not know. If you would like to serve on a KAR Committee, please complete and return the form
Updates from the 90th Annual KAR Convention
Hundreds of Kentucky REALTORS gathered in northern Kentucky for the 90th Annual Convention & Expo. On the first day, attendees were treated to, among other things, business insights from "Papa" John Schnatter followed the next day by a rousing rendition of My Old Kentucky Home
by John Stephenson to kick-off the event. Below are action items from the BOD meeting, election results, award recipients and other highlights that capped off another successful Convention:
- Approved the 2013 budget with a proposed dues increase on $7 in 2014 dedicated toward governmental affairs, professional standards and professional development.
- Approved holding the Leadership Conference at the Marriott East in Louisville (dates are November 29-30).
- Approved for a Smith Barney representative to teach a fiduciary responsibilities course for attendees at the Frankfort meeting in February 2013.
- Approved purchasing two desks and two computers for the office staff.
- Approved KAR Bylaws changes as presented to the membership relating to Articles 7 and 9 (a new Bylaws change relating to Article 7 is being presented to the membership that was approved at this meeting).
- Approved changes to the KAR policies and procedures describing the Legal Action Fund Task Force and the duties and responsibilities associated.
- Approved Jason Vaughn of Vaughn & Smith, PLLC to conduct the 2013 Professional Standards training sessions in three locations for 2013.
- Approved KAR contributing $5,000 to RPAC in 2012 making KAR a Golden R.
- Approved request from Jerry McMahan, president of McMahan Co., Inc, and principal broker of Coldwell Banker McMahan Co. in the amount of $50,000. This request relates to the case of Hyland vs. HomeServices of America, Inc.
- The KREC Selection Committee will submit the following names to the Governor for appointment of one to the Kentucky Real Estate Commission: Carolyn Edwards, Lexington; Tom Waldrop, Mayfield; Kim Sickles, Louisville; James Diuguid, Hopkinsville; and Glenn Thomas, Munfordville.
- KREEF Trustees elected were: Johnny Hodge, President-elect; Meg Manning, Treasurer-elect; Connie Champion; Sandy Newell; Barbara Flannery; Shirley DeBoor; Becky Murphy.
- RPAC Trustees elected were: Cindy Flynn-Piela, Mike Farrar, Ann Elizabeth Delahanty (CD-3); Marcie Estepp (CD-5).
- Target:RPAC sold 312 darts for a total of $15,600. Three people stepped into the Money Machine and walked away with $851: Elaine Hangis ($410), Barbara Flannery ($240) and Brenda Loyal ($201 won by Jim DeMaio).
President-Elect: Ron Hughes (Paducah)
Treasurer-Elect: Gale Fulton (Lexington)
Region 2 Director: Stacey Fergerson (Bowling Green)
Region 4 Director: Linda Wiley (Lexington)
Region 6 Director: Norman Jones (Pikeville)
At-Large Directors: Jim DeMaio (Owensboro), Rosemary Nobles (Louisville) and Mike Becker (Florence)
At-Large Delegates: Mike Spicer (Crestview Hills), Marcie Estepp (Paintsville) and Molly Mattingly (Elizabethtown)
NAR Director: Jayne Cox (Lexington)
REALTOR® of the Year: Jim Sewell (Frankfort)
Distinguished Service Award: Jayne Cox (Lexington)
Nat Sanders Award: Art Reed (Florence)
Community Service Awards:
Large Board - Greater Louisville Association
Medium Board - REALTOR Association of SKY
Small Board - Hopkinsville-Christian & Todd County Association
Paul Kendall Membership Growth Award:
1st - Central Kentucky Association (11.21%)
2nd - Cumberland Valley Board (4.88%)
3rd - Shelbyville Board (1.72%)
Ammerman Attendance Award: Northern Kentucky Association
KY REALTOR license plate approved
KAR received approval from the state to produce an official KY specialty license plate. To start production, KAR needs to have 900 applications and fees collected. This is your chance to show off your REALTOR pride and support the real estate industry. If you want to learn more or have an interest in having your own plate, check out the instructions on the webpage.
Rural housing update
More than 900 communities nationwide will NOT lose access to rural housing programs this fall, as expected. On September 25, the Office of Rural Development of the Department of Agriculture published an Administrative Notice delaying implementation of 2010 Census data for use in their programs through March 27, 2013.
Robert Damron, KAR past president, past KAR ROTY and good friend to many within KAR, passed away Sunday . For service information, please click here.
GEICO: the newest KAR affinity partner
KAR and GEICO are working together to bring exclusive savings to members. Contact GEICO for a free quote on auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance to see how much you could be saving. And don't forget to mention your KAR affiliation, you could qualify for an exclusive member savings opportunity. Visit the link below for an online quote or call 1-800-368-2734 for your free rate quote by phone.Read More
Get Kentucky CE with NAR online courses
You can now take several NAR Certification and Designation courses online for Kentucky CE credit. Each course counts as 3 hours elective CE. These courses also count as GRI elective credit and may count towards more than one certification and/or designation. Prices vary from course to course.
- At Home With Diversity
- BPOs: The Agent's Role in the Valuation Process
- e-PRO Certfication Program: Day 1/Day 2 Bundle
- Real Estate Marketing Reboot: Innovate > Relate > Differentiate
- RPR: Real-Time Data, Maket Knowledge, Informed Consumers
- SRES: Seniors Real Estate Specialist Register Now
(click the blue box that says "Kentucky Continuing Education")
GRI: Be the first pick!
GRI is the only designation you don't have to pay or renew to keep.
Based on 2011 survey data, the median income of REALTORS without a designation was $26,900 and the median income of those with at least one designation was $49,300. A difference of $22,400. Need another reason to earn the designation - all GRI courses count towards CE
. A change for this year is the GRI specific electives will not be offered, however, any NAR certification or designation course hours - online or classroom - will count as GRI elective hours, call KAR for more info 800.264.2185.
- GRI 2: Smart Marketing
- Nov 1 & 2
- GRI 4: From Offer to Contract to Closing
- Oct 24 & 25
- GRI 5: Systems for Success
- Oct 15 & 16Find out more and register
LeadershipKAR - applications for leaders accepted
Would you like to join the ranks of some of the most successful REALTORS® from around the state? You can by becoming part of the LeadershipKAR program, offered by the Kentucky Association of REALTORS® since 2002. Recognizing that leadership development is an essential element in the process of improving your Association and profession, KAR attempts to identify emerging REALTOR® leaders in the state, encourage them with motivational activities and assist in sharpening their leadership skills in the hope they will exert a strong positive influence on the future of the Association and profession. Apply Now
This is the year for ethics, due by Dec. 31
REALTORS® are required to complete ethics training for the current cycle running January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2012. Failure to complete the required ethics training will be considered a violation of a membership duty and could result in membership suspension or termination. REALTOR® members can verify ethics completion by checking with their primary local association and should notify the primary local association when their requirement is completed. Online:
Know the Code: Real Estate Ethics (also counts as 6 hours CE) click to registerClassroom Courses:
Ethics & Real Estate (counts as 3 hours CE) -
Ethics & Real Estate (counts as 3 hours CE) - Owensboro
Is it Ethical To... (counts as 3 hours CE)click to register
(included in registration)
Save up to 30% on UPS shipping
KAR members can save up to 30% off UPS Express air and international shipments. All this with the peace of mind that comes from using the carrier that delivers outstanding reliability, greater speed, more service, and innovative technology. UPS guarantees delivery of more packages around the world than anyone, and delivers more packages overnight on time in the US than any other carrier.
Members currently enrolled in the UPS Savings Program must re-enroll to take advantage of this new exclusive offer.
KAR members can save:
* Up to 30% on UPS Next Day Air® and Worldwide Express®
* Up to 23% on UPS 2nd Day Air®
* Up to 10% on business services at The UPS Store®
Sign up today
Neighborhood DAP from KHC
Do you have clients interested in purchasing a property in foreclosure or a home that has been on the market for six months or more? Then they may be eligible for a new financing option from Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC)!
The Neighborhood Down Payment Assistance Program (Neighborhood DAP) is funded through $3 million KHC received from the National Mortgage Foreclosure Settlement, and offers a new mortgage program for down payment and closing costs assistance. Neighborhood DAP provides a repayable second mortgage up to $10,000, with an interest rate of 1 percent for 30 years. The home buyer's income must be less than $124,775 and other terms and conditions apply.
Hurry, because once the funds are gone, the program ends! To find out more, visit here. A Neighborhood DAP customizable flier is available here.
Raised through 9/28/12
REALTORS® have the chance to come together and become one voice on the local, state, and national level.
The deadline for 2012 RPAC contributions is October 15th.
Need referrals? Advertise in the KY REALTOR Magazine
New for KAR members, the chance to advertise in the only state-wide real estate publication is now available. Limited space is available so act now to be included. Pricing is affordable. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 800.264.2185 or click here
KAR Affinity Partners
GEICO (New Program)
Contact GEICO for a free quote on insurance to see how much you could be saving. And don't forget to mention your KAR affiliation, you could qualify for an exclusive member savings opportunity.
UPS (New Program)
KAR members can save up to 30% on UPS shipping. Members currently enrolled in the UPS Savings Program must re-enroll to take advantage of this new exclusive offer.
Get feedback on your listings, improve communication with your sellers, and set yourself apart from your competition with HomeFeedback®.
As a member, you, your family & friends may be able to lower your prescription drug costs.Nationwide Insurance
Offering you a special insurance program that could save you up to $500 with special rates on your auto policy.Read More
Get involved in a program that will boost Kentucky's Call-for-Action response rates. If you are a real estate broker in Kentucky, please enroll (it's free and easy), and if you are an agent, please encourage your broker to join this effective network of broker leadership in public advocacy for REALTORS® across the United States. Learn more and enroll here
(to enroll, click the "Join the Program" button on the left side)