KAR BOD action items from Frankfort meeting
Last week, close to 200 REALTORS from across the Commonwealth packed the Capitol to discuss issues important to moving housing forward and not putting harmful barriers on homeownership. Many of our regions hadrepresentation during the Hill Visits meeting with legislators and making sure the REALTOR voice was heard. To view a list of legislative issues, click here.
- Approved the Economic Development Committee and Local Issues sub-committee be combined to form one committee: Economic & Local Issues Committee.
- Appointed a task force to work on the creation and implementation of a statewide database, in lieu of a statewide MLS, as specified in the KAR 2011-13 Strategic Plan.
- Approved that KAR staff develop a webinar for Delegate Body training to be made available to Delegates via the KAR website to replace classroom delegate body training.
- Approved the 2014 Summer Business Meeting be held at the Lake Barkley State Park and the 2014 KAR Convention be held at the University Plaza in Bowling Green.
- Approved a change to the policies & procedures that minutes of any meeting of the Board of Directors held as a conference call shall be sent to the members of the Delegate Body within seven days of the date of the meeting.
- Approved changes to the 2012 professional standards agreement to reflect the KAR policy mandating mediation before arbitration in disputes arising out of real estate transactions.
- Approved a name change to the pension subcommittee to the employee retirement plan subcommittee along with structure changes.
- Approved proceeding with the sale of the KAR building to one client and authorized the appointment of a building search committee with representation from each region.
Other items of interest:
- KAR presented the Jess and Carolyn Kinman Award to Representative Tommy Thompson of Owensboro. The award is given to an outstanding Kentuckian whose involvement in the legislative and political arenas have left an indelible mark on all those who have known or worked with them.
- A special thanks to the Kentucky Housing Corporation, sponsors of the refreshments for the BOD meeting. KHC briefed attendees about their products and services including their low interest rates as well as the mortgage credit certificate program.
- KREEF is offering a scholarship to the new REALTOR University Graduate Program. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Hunt Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- KAR staff and the member services committee will continue to research and explore the feasibility of offering a REALTOR license plate in the state of Kentucky.
- A working group was formed to review the KAR Legal Action Fund Task Force policies and the NAR Legal Action Program model policies & procedures.
- A task force was approved to evaluate the professional standards and mediation trainings for recommendations on the most cost effective delivery method for 2013.
- RPAC raised $6,605 throughout the meeting including $2,690 from the fund raising event "Rings for RPAC" and another $3,915 from an auction including beer cheese, brownies and a dinner for 10 at KAR President Ann McDonald's house. RPAC also presented its 2011 awards during the BOD meeting. Here are the winners:
Highest Membership Participation
Henderson-Audubon Board (80.96%)
Most Contributions Raised Overall
Greater Louisville Association ($38,721)
Pacesetter Award (1st to achieve goal)
Hopkinsville, Christian & Todd County Board (Dec 2010)
Largest % Over Goal
Hopkinsville, Christian & Todd County Board (392%)
Greater Owensboro REALTOR Association (359%)
KY tax reform commission authorized by Governor
Twenty-three Kentuckians, representing a broad spectrum of public and private sector experience and all corners of the state, will serve on the new Blue Ribbon Commission on Tax Reform, Gov. Steve Beshear announced recently.
The Commission, to be led by Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson, will work over the coming months to develop recommendations to make the state's tax code more responsive to the ups and downs of the economy, as well as to make taxes more equitable for Kentuckians. The revisions should allow for tax revenues that are adequate to address the needs of the state's citizens and businesses. Read More
KAR Broker Summit
Monday, April 23
Greater Louisville Association of REALTORS Office
Louisville, KentuckyRegister here
Price - $89 (before 4/9), $125 (after 4/9)
(includes lunch, refreshments and materials needed)
Limited seating available
Keynote Speaker: Oliver Frascona Oliver E. Frascona
is a shareholder in Frascona, Joiner, Goodman, and Greenstein, P.C., a Colorado law firm. His practice areas include real estate, brokerage law, contracts, finance, land use, leasing, real estate title, business law,
association law, and litigation. Frascona is also a REALTOR®, author, speaker who presents almost daily on agency, ethics, financing, legal risk reduction and professional standards education. He has written numerous books, presented at NAR for a number of years and has been seen on CNN. Oliver's the entertaining, can't-miss, makes-you-remember-his seminar kind of speaker that every REALTOR® will enjoy listening to. You will be sure to walk away with ideas that can be implemented in your business immediately and ways to reduce you and your agents' risk.
Other topics being covered include E&O insurance, financing/mortgage, legal issues, technology, KY's economic climate and industry updates at the state and national levels. The day will be filled with take-aways that you can implement at your office and share with your agents immediately!
CRS Course: Silver Bullet Solutions - May 10
Silver Bullet Solutions (CRS 1-Day)
:Thursday, May 10CRS & GRI elective, 3 hours elective CE credit
REALTOR® Assoc. of SKY Board Office
180 W. Professional Park Ct.
Bowling Green, KY 42104
9am - 5:30pm (CST)
Instructor: Michael Selvaggio
Early-bird rate: $99 (before April 26)
After April 26 or walk-in rate: $129 Register Now
(and learn more)
GRI schedule posted
The GRI schedule is posted now for 2012 - keep in mind, all GRI courses count towards CE. A change for this year is the GRI specific electives will not be offered, however, any NAR certification or designation course hours - online or classroom - will count as GRI elective hours, call KAR for more info 800.264.2185.
- GRI 1: Professionalism in RE
- April 30 & May 1
- GRI 2: Smart Marketing
- Nov 1 & 2
- GRI 3: Financing the Successful Transaction
- Sept 6 & 7
- GRI 4: From Offer to Contract to Closing
- Oct 24 & 25
- GRI 5: Systems for Success
- May 23 & 24 Find out more and register
Lose the year end stress - get your CE early
Make it a New Year's resolution to get your CE completed now and lose the hassle and stress later in the year. We have several affordable online courses available that can be started now and completed on your schedule - 24/7 from any computer.
Online CE Courses
- Know the Code: Real Estate Ethics (6 hours)
- Foreclosures, Short Sales, REOs and Auctions (6 hours)
- Environmental Issues in Real Estate (6 hours)
- Real Estate Finance Today (3 elective hours)
- Fair Housing (3 law hours)Register here for online CE courses
Advertise in the KY REALTOR Magazine
New for KAR members, the chance to advertise in the only state-wide real estate publication is now available. Limited space is available so act now to be included. To learn more, email email@example.com, call 800.264.2185 or click here
Nationwide Open House - April 28 & 29
KAR is teaming up with associations across the country for the third annual Nationwide Open House weekend. The purpose is to encourage those who are thinking of buying a home to take advantage of unique home market factors including low interest rates, good selection of inventory and Kentucky's low cost of homeownership. REALTORS® should also take this opportunity to educate potential home buyers on the benefits of homeownership.
Look for more information in the next issue of the newsletter and check the website for updates and additional promotional materials.
Save up to 30% on UPS shipping
KAR members can save up to 30% off UPS Express air and international shipments. All this with the peace of mind that comes from using the carrier that delivers outstanding reliability, greater speed, more service, and innovative technology. UPS guarantees delivery of more packages around the world than anyone, and delivers more packages overnight on time in the US than any other carrier.
Members currently enrolled in the UPS Savings Program must re-enroll to take advantage of this new exclusive offer.
KAR members can save:
* Up to 30% on UPS Next Day Air® and Worldwide Express®
* Up to 23% on UPS 2nd Day Air®
* Up to 10% on business services at The UPS Store®
Sign up today
KHC has new options for your clients
Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) is now offering the lowest rates ever in its 40-year history. KHC-approved lender
For a limited time, rates are as low as 3.375 percent, with a 30-year, fixed-rate term. KHC also has a program for down payment and closing costs assistance with a special first mortgage rate of 3.625 percent. All KHC loans start at KHC and end at KHC. Your clients can feel comfortable knowing they are working with fellow Kentuckians in managing their payments throughout the life of their loan.
To find out if your client is eligible for these great rates, contact a
in your area. You can also become a KHC-certified real estate agent
by attending one of KHC's free real estate continuing education classes. New class dates will be posted on KHC's Homeownership calendar
and announced through KHC's eGram service. Register
today to stay up-to-date on all KHC news and events.
KAR Affinity Partners
UPS (New Program)
KAR members can save up to 30% on UPS shipping. Members currently enrolled in the UPS Savings Program must re-enroll to take advantage of this new exclusive offer.
Get feedback on your listings, improve communication with your sellers, and set yourself apart from your competition with HomeFeedback®.
As a member, you, your family & friends may be able to lower your prescription drug costs.Nationwide Insurance
Offering you a special insurance program that could save you up to $500 with special rates on your auto policy.Read More
Get involved in a program that will boost Kentucky's Call-for-Action response rates. If you are a real estate broker in Kentucky, please enroll (it's free and easy), and if you are an agent, please encourage your broker to join this effective network of broker leadership in public advocacy for REALTORS® across the United States. Learn more and enroll here
(to enroll, click the "Join the Program" button on the left side)