Download the 2009 schedule here
Courses are scheduled through December 2009.
Set yourself apart. Earn the designation that makes a difference and increases your income. The REALTORŪ Institute has graduated thousands of REALTORSŪ. These professionals find the GRI designation a powerful tool for attracting and building new business as well as staying on the cutting edge of real estate standards.
Online CE courses available
It is now possible to earn CE credit for your real estate license renewal without leaving your home or office. These courses may be entered and exited at your convenience. Once you register for a course, you can begin immediately.
All course work must be completed in a 12-month period to earn CE credit. Your completion date of the course determines the year the credit will be issued.
Three courses are available:
Enviromental Issues in Real Estate - 6 hours (3 hours law credit & 3 hours elective credit)
Real Estate Finance Today - 3 hours (3 hours elective credit)
Fair Housing - 3 hours (3 hours law credit)
Call for Action: Extend & Expand
Send legislators the message right now that the economy urgently needs the $8,000 first-time home buyer tax credit to be extended and expanded.Participate in the CFA here
Find down payment assistance for your clients
Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) has a new down payment assistance program, First Home Advantage, which allows first-time home buyers to use a second mortgage for down payment and closing costs to help purchase a home with P&I payments deferred until July 1, 2010.
KHC has set aside $5 million for this program through November 30, 2009. For full details, visit KHC's website
, under Lender Services, Lender Resources, First Home Advantage Flier.
You can learn about more KHC homeownership programs and the current housing market at the 2009 Kentucky Affordable Housing Conference
. The conference is designed to offer valuable information about affordable housing from industry experts and leaders. We hope you will register on KHC's Web site and look forward to seeing you Wednesday, October 28, and Thursday, October 29!
KAR Award Winners
Congratulations to the following REALTORSŪ and local boards/associations for their hard work, dedication and service in winning these prestigious awards:
Ammerman Attendance Award: Greater Louisville
Paul M. Kendall Membership Growth Award:
- REALTOR of the Year: Ann McDonald, Lexington
- Distinguished Service Award: Evelyn Pusateri, Louisville
- Nat Sanders Education Award: Mike Parker, Florence
- Community Service Award:
- Large Board: Greater Louisville
- Medium Board: Madison County
- Small Board: Murray-Calloway County
- First Place: Cynthiana-Harrison County
- Second Place: South Central Kentucky
- Third Place: Eastern Kentucky
KAR Election Results
Voting was held during the Convention and the following REALTORS were elected to serve in 2010:
At-large Directors (term 1/1/10 - 12/31/12)
- President-elect: Tony Clark, Owensboro
- Treasurer-elect: No vacancy - Ron Hughes (term 2/16/09 - 12/31/10)
- Region Directors (term 1/1/10 - 12/31/11)
- Larry Gillette, Hopkinsville, Region 1
- John May, Louisville, Region 3
- Jack Hoffman, Ft. Thomas, Region 5
At-large Delegates (term 1/1/10 - 12/31/12)
- Rosemary Nobles, Louisville
- Paul Fox, Ft. Thomas
- Linda Wiley, Lexington
NAR Director: Jayne Cox, Lexington (term 12/1/09 - 11/30/12)
- Marcie Estepp
- Stacey Fergerson
- Greg Taylor
- Brenda Loyal (filling vacancy with a term ending 12/31/11)
Voting breakdowns were as follows:
- Delegates eligible to vote totaled 113 and 94 voted (83%)
- Non-delegate members eligible to vote totaled 415 and 163 voted (39%). First-timers who were eligible (272) and voted (78) were 29%.
Board of Directors take action at 87th Annual KAR Convention
After a long day of committee meetings and task force discussions, the KAR Board of Directors took action on many issues that were presented at its meeting Wednesday morning. They were as follows:
To approve extension requests from local associations for the NAR organizational standards program.
To approve the 2010 KAR budget.
To keep KAR dues at the same level for 2010.
That the following language be added to the appropriate committee structure descriptions in the KAR Policies and Procedures Manual:
- "The President, in consultation with each committee chairperson, shall select the committee members based upon each committee requirement and structure. In addition, each KAR Region shall make a region appointment, consistent with each committee requirement and structure, to the following committees: Bylaws, Policies and Procedures Committee, Strategic Planning Committee, Governmental Affairs Committee, Legal Affairs/Risk Reduction Committee and Finance Committee."
- To change the process of the yearly election process.
- To change the Bylaws as indicated below: (Strikethrough indicates text to be deleted. Underlined indicates text to be added.)
- Section 11. These Bylaws may be amended at any regular or special meeting of KAR membership by affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the REALTORŪ Members and REALTORŪ Emeritus Members present and voting provided that a quorum is present and provided further that written notice of the substance of any proposed amendment, specifically identifying the Article and Section to be amended, shall first have been sent to each REALTORŪ Member
bearing a postmark at least thirty (30) days in advance of the meeting.
- To accept the 2010 Srategic Plan and 2010 Management Plan for KAR.
- To make a change to Section II(g)(1) of the KAR/KREEF Relationship: Operating Policies & Cooperative Arrangements Document.
- To move the Nat Sanders Award from the KAR Policies & Procedures to the KREEF Policies & Procedures.
- To make changes to Addendum #3 (relating to the LeadershipKAR program) to the KAR Policies & Procedures.
- To approve the revised KAR employee manual (will become effective on 1-1-10).
- To hold mediation training in Lexington during March or April of 2010.
- To require professional standards hearing panels have five members and one alternate beginning in 2011.
- To hold professional standards training in Louisville, Lexington and Madisonville during January 2010.
- To purchase a new copier, new chairs, one desk and one laptop computer for KAR.
To carpet the back staircase, seal and stripe the parking lot and to replace the front and rear awnings at KAR headquarters.
Several new task forces were created:
- Post-licensing - Carolyn Edwards, Chair
- Tax Structure - Paul Ogden, Chair
- PVA - Larry Gillette, Chair
- Dues Structure - John Smither, Chair
KREEF & RPAC: new Trustees
The following will serve as new Trustees:
Sandy Newell, Region 1; Connie Champion, Region 1; Beth Wheeler, Region 2; Pat Pride, Region 3; Ed Williamson, Region 3
Meg Manning is the 2010 President-elect and Linda Wiley is the 2010 Treasurer-elect
2010 Chair - Carolyn Edwards, 2010 Vice Chair - Steve Cline
2010 RPAC Trustees from Congressional District 2 - Steve Cline and Dot Miller; Congressional District 3 - Gregory Lile, Pat Pride and Betty Schutte; and Congressional District 5 - Vicky Gibson
At the Board of Directors meeting, the KREC Selection Committee provided a list of nominees for a Commissioner position with the Kentucky Real Estate Commission. After many long interviews and careful deliberation, the following names were sent to Governor Beshear for consideration:
- Donna Mattox, Carlisle
- Steve Robinson, London
- Harrell Tague, Louisville
- Sue Teegarden, Alexandria
KAR is online, Twitter added
Join now and become a member of the KAR groups! If you are not currently on these sites, getting started is easy. Just log on to www.facebook.com, www.linkedin.com, www.activerain.com or www.twitter.com and set up a profile.
Joining is free and once you become a member, you can request to be added to the KAR groups. That's all there is to it.
To locate the KAR groups, use the search feature or go directly to the group: