It's hard to believe we are already looking at the final month of twice weekly markets in the parking lot. Our third season of Indoor Winter Markets will be here before you know it and the produce already looks promising.
I hope you have heard something about Food Day, by now. If not, it's not too late to jump on board. In fact, we are collecting pledges for Food Day and I would like to invite you to make a pledge and share it with me right now.
Not ready to commit just yet? Here's what Food Day in Emporia is about: Get Active Every Day, Eat Real, and Encourage Families and Children to Develop Healthy Lifestyles.
The pledge is the easy part. All you have to do is come up with a goal related to creating a healthy lifestyle. Your goal can be for the month of October, the week of October 21-27, or for Food Day only on October 24. Whether going for big changes or small, everyone is invited to celebrate.
- I will eat fresh fruit or vegetables instead of junk food for snacks through the month of October.
- I will start each day in the month of October with a walk around the block and eliminate sugary drinks.
- I will invite my friends to a "Local Only Feast" to celebrate Food Day on October 24.
- I will shop the farmers market twice each week through the month of October and try a vegetable that is new to me every week.
- I will challenge my co-workers to eliminate junk food from the break room.
- No labels on the table! This week I will eliminate meals prepared from a box.
Below in this newsletter you will find links to share your pledges, if you are so inclined. As well, the Emporia Farmers Market has issued a Food Day Challenge. You can begin participating this week by simply coming to the market kiosk during market hours and letting a volunteer know that you'd like to accept our challenge.
Each time you attend a market between now and October 24, put your name on the list and it will increase your chances of winning a prize at our drawing on Food Day, October 24.
Feel free to email me or call if you have any questions.
See you at the market!