|Fall Tennis Programming
Our complete fall program begins September 24. We have classes for all levels of players. Fall classes fill quickly, so early registration is recommended. Check out our offerings in the Fall 2012 Programs & Activities Catalog. Tennis classes begin on page 45.
Other fall/winter programming information:
- Fall league play just started this week
- Winter seasonal information will be distributed in late September
- Team clinic times are filling quickly, so please check with our pro shop to reserve a preferred time
|Pro Tip: Poaching in Doubles?
by Owl Creek Staff
Poaching is definitely a skill that almost all players need to play good doubles. It involves many factors including communicating with your partner, anticipating your opponents tendencies and quick decision making. Here are a few tips to use on the court.
1. Being an active net player is definitely the way to go in doubles. Effective net players tend to bother their opponents with the constant movement and occasional poach.
2. Poaching falls into two categories: anticipatory, or the total "sell out." The anticipatory poach is executed when you judge that your opponent is limited in his or her options and you anticipate where the ball is likely to be hit. The "sell out" poach is when you are going no matter where the ball is hit or what position your opponent is in. This is obviously the more dangerous poach, but can be very shocking to your opponents as it is usually very unexpected.
3. If you have a regular partner, consider developing hand signals that let your partner know you may be poaching when he or she is serving.
4. Don't get frustrated if you get burned down the line a few times. It happens to everyone and should not deter you from continuing to be aggressive.
|Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation believes all of our diverse citizens have a right to participate in community recreation and we are committed to creating equal access for everyone who may have a challenge or barrier. If you or your child require additional support, we can help. Learn more about our accommodation and inclusion services.
Owl Creek Municipal Tennis Center
Location: 928 S. Birdneck Road, Virginia Beach | Phone: (757) 385-2695
Hours: Monday - Friday: 9am - 9pm | Saturday and Sunday: 9am - 5pm
|We welcome your comments and questions. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation is accredited by CAPRA,
the certifying agency of the National Recreation and Park Association.