|2012 Spring League Signups & Drop-In Clinics
It's feeling like spring already, which means league play is just around the corner. Have you registered to play? You can get on a team whether you know a group or not. For league information and sign ups, visit VBTennisPatrons.org or email Karen Steenberg-Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're worried about being a little rusty due to the winter season, come out to Owl Creek and drop in on a few clinics to get yourself ready! As some of these clinics fill, we ask that you call 385-2695 in advance to have your name added to the list.
Adv. Beg/Intermediate Clinic (2.5 to 3.5)
Mondays & Wednesdays | 6:30 - 8:00 pm | $21
Cardio Tennis (all levels)
Tuesdays & Fridays | 9:00 - 10:00 am | $15
Men's Night Out (3.0 & up)
Tuesdays | 7:00 - 8:30 pm | $21
Men's & Ladies Night Out (3.5 & up)
Thursdays | 7:00 - 8:30 pm | $21
|Pro Tip: Feelin' the Heat!
by Owl Creek Staff
Do you struggle to overcome nerves on the tennis court? Are you a great practice and clinic player, but struggle to reproduce the shots during matches? Well first, you are not alone. Everyone struggles with being nervous during their matches. It is the player who can channel that tension into a positive outcome who will succeed. Here are a few tips to get over the jitters:
- Don't go into a match with the first thought being, "I've got to win this match."
- 'Stay in the now' and develop a plan on the match. This starts in the warm-up. Evaluate your opponent's strengths and weaknesses. Do they have a great forehand? Do they volley well? How is their movement?
- Most players have a strong shot whether it be a great forehand or terrific serve. Work to get that shot. When the shot is there, go for it. It doesn't mean try to hit the line every time, but look to take control of the point.
- Place index cards in your bag with little reminders to yourself about how you want to play. Read these during changeovers.
- And finally, in practice, put a little something on the line to inject some tension into your practice matches.
|Space Available in Spring Break Camp!
Virginia Beach Public Schools Spring Break: April 9-13
It's not too late to register your child for Spring Break Tennis Camp! For kids who are new to the game of tennis, our camp is the perfect opportunity to learn the basic strokes, general rules and proper tennis etiquette. This is an introductory camp for youth ages 5-17 in a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Students are grouped according to experience and all campers end the week with a pizza party!
Camp is held at Owl Creek Tennis Center on April 9-13 from 9 am to noon. The camp costs $145.
Register online or in person at Owl Creek or any Virginia Beach recreation center.
|Please Note Our Upcoming Facility Closures
Owl Creek Tennis Center will be closed on Sunday, April 8 for Easter.
|Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation believes all of our diverse citizens have a right to participate in community recreation and we are committed to creating equal access for everyone who may have a challenge or barrier. If you or your child require additional support, we can help. Learn more about our accommodation and inclusion services.
Owl Creek Municipal Tennis Center
Location: 928 S. Birdneck Road, Virginia Beach | Phone: (757) 385-2695
Hours: Monday - Friday: 9am - 9pm | Saturday and Sunday: 9am - 5pm
|We welcome your comments and questions. Feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation is accredited by CAPRA,
the certifying agency of the National Recreation and Park Association.