New City of Virginia Beach Website Coming Soon!
New VBgov.com Website to Launch in Mid-September
Big changes are coming to VBgov.com in mid-September! The City of Virginia Beach's website has been completely redesigned based on direct feedback and requests from our users, as well as the city's desire to implement technology improvements. Some notable additions and enhancements to the website include:
We hope you'll love the new site! You may need to update some of your saved links when the new site launches.
- An interactive calendar of events that can be filtered based on your preferences
- A media center containing video and photo galleries
- Mobile accessibility that is compatible across all major smartphone formats
- A visually appealing design that highlights our beautiful city through the use of imagery
- An interactive Map Center featuring layering capability and an improved graphic interface
- A design that is compatible with multiple browsers on multiple platforms
- An improved search with auto-suggestions as you type
NOTE: The new website was initially set to launch on August 29, but due to the approach of Hurricane Irene, the launch date was delayed.
Register to Compete at SK8R Bash!
October 8, 10 am to 5 pm | Presented by Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation and WRV
It's back! Roll out for some nose-grinding action at our action-packed skateboard competition at the 24,000 square foot Mount Trashmore Skate Park. Complete with big airs, board grabs and other raw tricks, this contest runs alongside fun activities and rockin' live music. Registration is underway for anyone who wants to compete in the skateboard competition.
Sign up today!
Registration Cost: $25 (Event Day Registration: $30, if space is available)
- Helmets are required; elbow and knee pads are recommended
- Applications accepted on first come, first serve basis until categories are full; space is limited
- Registration status confirmed by email
- Competitors receive contest t-shirt
- Prizes in each category
- Parents must sign for participants under age 18
- Proof of age may be required
Each competitor will be given a :30 second intro-run, and then placed in a 10 - 20 person Jam Session. The top 8 from each category will be placed in a final jam. Divisions and schedules are listed on the registration form.
Vote for Mount Trashmore!
Help Mount Trashmore Park Win a $100,000 Recreation Grant
Did you know that being active at Mount Trashmore Park this summer could help it win $100,000? The title of "America's Favorite Park" and a recreation grant are up for grabs. So get out, play and vote for Mount Trashmore Park before September 6!
America Is Your Park encourages families to get active outdoors in parks across the country and vote to help their favorite win one of three recreation grants made possible by the Coca-Cola Live Positively initiative. So, if you like biking, running, skateboarding, walking your dog or taking the kids to play, there's no better place to enjoy these activities than at Mount Trashmore Park.
You can help Mount Trashmore Park by:
- Voting as many times as you can! Voting is unlimited.
- Uploading photos and videos from the park to LivePositively.com
- "Checking in" to Mount Trashmore Park via Facebook Places
You can also help by spreading the word about the contest - urge people to vote by reminding park visitors, sending emails, posting a status on Facebook or sending a message on Twitter about why you love Mount Trashmore Park.
Mount Trashmore could be crowned "America's Favorite Park" this summer. But it's up to you - so get outdoors, play in the park and don't forget to vote!
Enjoy Music and Fireworks at Patriotic Concert!
Friday, September 16, 6 to 9 pm at Mount Trashmore Park
Join us for the fifth and final installment of the summer event series Friday Free for All on Friday, September 16 for aPatriotic Concert at Mount Trashmore Park.
Celebrate our military heroes with this rockin' military salute while enjoying the sunset over Lake Trashmore. The Blue Aces Ensemble of the United States Air Force Heritage of America Band will entertain the crowd with their fast-paced performances and variety of musical styles. The Blue Aces have performed for military and civilian dignitaries including the President of the United States, our warrior airmen and joint-combined forces deployed in support of the Global War on Terror.
The concert begins at 6 pm and fireworks will light up the sky at 8:30 pm (rescheduled from July 4). Food will be available for purchase; free parking and admission.
Add this event on Facebook!