Father's Day is June 20!
Need a Father's Day gift? A gift certificate to one of our courses makes the perfect gift for your golfer! Stop by the pro shop at any course to purchase a gift certificate. While you're there, pick up a 15-ball pack of Pinnacle Distance Golf Balls and get an extra 3-ball sleeve FREE!
Class Registration Begins Saturday
Take a look at the Summer Youth and Adult Program Catalogs for great opportunities to stay active this summer! Registration begins this Saturday, June 5. Classes for beginners and intermediate players of all ages, as well as senior and women's special sessions, are offered.
|Did You Know..? Red Wing Lake Facts
· The property was once owned by the U.S. Navy and given to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
· The City of Virginia Beach leased the property from the state for $20 a year and constructed the course as designed by George W. Cobb in 1968.
· The City purchased the property in 1996 and closed for renovations in December 2004.
· The course was renovated by Landscape Unlimited, L.L.C. as designed by the Kevin Tucker Design Group, Inc. and re-opened in September 2006.
· The renovations required over 22 miles of drainage and irrigation pipe, 618 sprinkler heads, 3.9 acres of greens and fringe, 383 drainage catch basins and 5.7 miles of cart path.
· The construction crews moved 174,000 cubic yards of dirt to shape the course.
· The largest green is number sixteen, which measures 8,060 square feet and the smallest green is number fifteen, which measures 6,080 square feet.
· Holes four and eight were redesigned in the field while under construction. Both had the tee areas relocated.
· 98% of the rain that falls on the course collects in the ponds, which are interconnected and serve as the source for irrigation.
· The maintenance building uses recycled oil from the course equipment to provide the heat during cooler times of the year.
· The makers of the Hoot System claim that one can drink the water after the treatment has been completed on the sewage generated at the site.
"Tee to Green" Series at Bow Creek
Jamie Smith, PGA Teaching Professional, is offering an instructional series of "Tee to Green" workshops each Saturday at Bow Creek Golf Course. To sign up or find out what the topics are for the clinics, please call Jamie at 287-1965. The clinics are available 9:30 am to 11:00 am or 11:30 am to 1:00 pm, $15.00 per session.
Volunteer Opportunities Available
Looking for a volunteer opportunity that will get you outdoors? We're looking for a few good people to help with customer service at our courses. Golf course starters maintain the starting times and tee sheet, and ensure that golfers get off the first tee in a prompt and orderly manner. View complete details and contact information here.