Students Celebrate Michaelmas on Campus, September 28
The students will learn about this special day from their teachers when the time is appropriate for them. This information is for your awareness and enjoyment.
Michaelmas is an autumn festival named for St. Michael. The Michaelmas season welcomes the cooler weather, shortening days and the inward reflection accompanying winter months.
In celebration of Michaelmas, Grades 1 - 12 will participate in an all-day celebration on campus with mixed-age groups "led" by the 8th grade class. Each group will participate in different trials set up by the high school students, culminating in the second grade Michaelmas trial and singing.
Please look for a further educational glimpse into Michaelmas in next week's newsletter.
For Sept. 28, please note the following:
- Send your child to school with comfortable walking or running shoes, a hat, sunblock applied, labeled water bottle and a labeled lunch in a ziploc bag (to keep it dry in the cooler).
- Hot lunch is still available and will be delivered to each group, so they won't need to miss any of the fun.
- Each classroom needs three coolers for lunches, these will be coordinated at the individual classroom level.
- This is an extended day for grades 1 - 3, who usually dismiss at 1:10 on Fridays. They will remain at school until 2:50.
- We are in need of old sheets, yardage of fabric, twine, clothepins and large cardboard boxes. If you have any of these things that you can spare, please bring them to the office. We're starting a collection tomorrow.
NOTE: Kindergarten classes have their own celebration appropriate for them, in their individual classrooms.
by Patrick Wakeford-Evans
In summer the sun burns hot with gold
And children dance among the elves;
The rivers run beneath the heat
And cool the fruit, sweet summer's wealth.
Yet in the mists of simmering air,
The dragon with his sulph'rous breath,
Spreads his wings to shroud the sky
And darkens all that comes to birth.
But Michael, high in Heaven's light,
He sends his stars a'shooting bright!
They stream toward the dragon's might
And send him fleeing into the night.
So my good thoughts flow into me,
And fill my heart from light above
That my good deeds flow mightily
With Heaven's all conquering love.
Wednesday, October 3, 7PM
90 MINUTES OF INSPIRATION, INFORMATION AND FUN!
- Slideshow of student Michaelmas Celebration. A one-time opportunity for parents to experience how our children celebrate Michaelmas at WSOC.
- A chance to win a reserved parking space for the year. Raffle tickets are not being sold. Come to the event and you get a ticket, winner will be drawn at the event.
- Hear from pioneering-class alumni, Alexis Meadows, now in her second year of college.
- Plus everything you'd expect from this event, including great information and pertinent news to help you navigate your family through another beautiful school year.
- Adults only.
Check it Out
The Business Resource Directory
Our directory is starting to take off! We currently have 25 listings of community owned/operated businesses and services. Everything from financial services to graphic design is being offered from the reliable source of parents in our community. So take a moment to peruse what is there and/or take a moment to post your business or service!
DIRECTIONS FOR THE BUSINESS RESOURCE DIRECTORY:
ADVERTISING YOUR BUSINESS/SERVICE go to this link:
www.waldorfschool.com/directory/signup and fill in the information requested. It will be sent out for vertification, then posted to the directory.
Looking for a community business or service: Go to our website home page, www.waldorfschool.com and click on the green Resource Directory button on the right side.