|USAS Convention 2012|
The United States Aquatic Sports Convention will be held at the Sheraton Four Seasons, Greensboro, N.C. September 12-16, 2012. Registration forms, travel, shuttle, and tourist information is available on the USAS website
USMS meetings begin on Weds., Sept. 12. View complete USMS Schedule
Delegate Registration: All persons attending or presenting at any meeting at convention MUST be registered for convention. Please use the delegate registration form. For those LMSCs with five or more delegates, you can opt to fill out the group registration form (pay with one check).
- Earlybird Fee:
- Postmarked by Aug. 20, 2012: $160
- Postmarked on Aug. 21 or later: $190
- Hotel Reservations: Hotel information can be found on the USAS website. You are responsible for making your hotel reservations directly with the Sheraton Four Seasons. Use the Sheraton link. Click on "Groups" and enter Attendee code AQUA12 (not case sensitive) or call the Sheraton Greensboro reservation number 800-242-6556 (to receive the convention room rate, mention United States Aquatic Sports). The cutoff date is August 7 (this is earlier than usual). Please make your reservations early to avoid having to stay at another hotel.
- Transportation: The GSO Airport Greensboro is located approximately 20 minutes from the Sheraton Four Seasons.
- Shuttle: Options are hotel shuttle, if you don't mind waiting for 30-40 minutes, (call the hotel: 336-292-9161). Or, Greensboro Airport Limo & Taxi (877- 297-8428) $26 (one way, one person), $31 (one way, 2-3 people)
- Driving Directions: Driving directions can be obtained by typing the following address into MapQuest or Google: 3121 High Point Road at I-40, Greensboro, NC 27407.
- Parking: No charge
- Internet: Free throughout the hotel for registered guests
- Certification Table: The certification table will be open on Wednesday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (vendor area), Thursday 7-7:45 a.m. (vendor area), Thursday 9:15-9:45 a.m. (House of Delegates Room), Thursday afternoon through Saturday (come find Debbie Cavanaugh).
|LMSC Chairs: Please submit the names and contact information for your delegates ASAP to CJ Rushman.|
LMSC Chairs: Please send Delegate At Large Requests to President Nadine Day. Deadline is July 15. Appointments will be made by the President on July 20.
Chairs of Finance, Legislation, Long Distance & Rules Committee: Please contact your committee members and report to CJ Rushman if there are any members from your committee who will not be attending convention.
Below are IMPORTANT deadlines from the Working Calendar
Committee chairs & special appointments send their annual reports to their vice presidents using the USMS Document Template
. Those who will be having a meeting at Convention also send their agendas.July 31:
Vice presidents send their committees' annual reports and agendas to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli
. Members of the Executive Committee also submit their annual reports.August 1:
All proposed rule/code changes from Rules, Long Distance & Legislation due to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli from respective committee chairs, for inclusion in Convention packet.August 1:
Election Committee submits election information to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli for inclusion in Convention Packet.August 31:
Convention packets posted on the usms.org
website and emailed to all delegates.
|Rule Change Proposals Due July 10|
In even years, proposed rule changes can be submitted to the Rules Committee at email@example.com for Part 1 and the Glossary and to the Long Distance Committee at LongDistance@usms.org for Part 3 and also the Glossary. This is an "emergency" year for Legislation (Organizing Principles, Parts 2, 4, 5, and 6, firstname.lastname@example.org), so only proposed changes deemed emergency by that committee will be considered and they will require a 90% vote to pass. It is also an "emergency" year for Appendix D but proposed changes were due to the LMSC Development Committee by February 1; remember that deadline for next year.
The rule change proposal form and instructions are located in the convention section of the Guide to Operations. Proposed rule changes are due by July 10.
|Doug Church Awarded Top Honor|
|Doug Church is the 2012 recipient of USMS's highest honor, the Dr. Ransom Arthur MD Award. |
Doug has been the USMS Treasurer and Chair of the USMS Finance Committee, was an integral part in initiatives to launch SWIMMER magazine and to hire an executive director and national office staff. He presently chairs the USMS Swimming Lives Foundation. In 2010 and 2011, Doug contributed 124 volunteer hours as USMS Legal Counsel.
Doug's volunteer efforts at the local level are monumental. He was instrumental in developing and building the Fishers YMCA in Fishers, Ind., which is the largest YMCA in the state. Through his vision and energy he also assumed control of the Hamilton County Central Pool when it was about to be abandoned and demolished. His ability to recruit volunteers and support saved the Central Pool, which has now been renamed the Forest Park Aquatic Center, and serves more than 50,000 citizens each year who wish to use aquatics as a means of exercise.
Congratulations and thank you Doug!
|USMS Award Nominations|
|USMS presents a number of awards annually to members who have excelled in various areas. The details and recipients of each type of award may be found on our awards page. Send in your nominations today!|
- Speedo/U.S. Masters Swimming Coach Of The Year Award Due July 1
- Dorothy Donnelly Service Award Due July 1
- Kerry O'Brien Coaching Award Due July 1
- June Krauser Communications Award Due July 1
- And more...
|Outstanding Membership Growth|
|Four LMSCs already have more members for 2012 than they had for all of 2011! They are:
Another four are almost there. They are:
- South Dakota
- North Carolina
Nationally we are more than 49,000 members for 2012 and well on our way to surpassing last year's total of 56,158. You can view our membership totals for the past 30 years in the LMSC Membership History document in the USMS Guide to Operations.
- Delaware Valley
- Lake Erie
|Short Course Yards Top 10 Submissions|
|The deadline for SCY Top 10 tabulations including those for relays are due to Mary Beth Windrath National Swims Administrator, by June 30. Late submissions will not be accepted. Instructions can be found in the USMS Guide to Operations |
|LMSC Officer Changes|
|Has your LMSC elected new officers or appointed people to new positions? Make sure the National Office has these changes. Check your LMSC's officer listings by selecting your LMSC from the list on this page. |
If this listing is not correct, report any updates to Anna Lea Matysek, Membership Director.
|About STREAMLINES for Volunteers|
U.S. Masters Swimming encourages all USMS volunteers to subscribe to STREAMLINES for Volunteers, however if you would rather not receive this update, please do not click the unsubscribe button, as that will remove you from all other USMS National Office mailings. Rather, please click on the "Update Profile/Email Address" link at the bottom of this email. Here you can select to discontinue your STREAMLINES for Volunteers service or sign up for the monthly coaches' newsletter, STREAMLINES for Coaches, and/or the monthly member newsletter STREAMLINES.
|About U.S. Masters Swimming|
|U.S. Masters Swimming, founded in 1970, is a membership-operated national governing body that promotes health, wellness, fitness and competition for adults through swimming. It does so by partnering with more than 1,500 adult swim programs across the country; promoting information via the bimonthly member magazine, SWIMMER, monthly e-newsletter, STREAMLINES, and website, usms.org; and by sanctioning and promoting pool, open water and virtual events and competitions. More than 55,000 adults are registered members of USMS.