Welcome to the special Convention issue of STREAMLINES for Volunteers
. Everything you need to complete your registration for the 2011 Convention in Jacksonville, Fla. is in this issue. In preparation for Convention, please read through the important information for all delegates. Questions? Contact Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli
Your Friends at U.S. Masters Swimming
|USAS Convention 2011|
The United States Aquatic Sports Convention will be held at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville, Fla. September 12-18, 2011. Registration forms, travel, shuttle, and tourist information is available on the USAS website
USMS meetings begin on Wednesday, September 14th. View complete USMS schedule
All persons attending or presenting at any meeting at convention MUST be registered for convention. Please use the delegate registration form. For those LMSCs with five or more delegates, you can opt to fill out the group registration form (pay with one check).
- Early Bird Fee:
- Postmarked by August 22, 2011 - $ 160.00
- Postmarked on August 23 or later - $ 190.00
- Hotel Reservations: Hotel information can be found on the USAS website. You are responsible for making your hotel reservations directly with the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront or by calling Hyatt Worldwide reservations at 800-233-1234. To obtain the group rate, mention United States Aquatic Sports. The cut-off date is August 15.
- Transportation: The Jacksonville International Airport is located approximately 15 miles from the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. For more information contact 904-741-4902 or visit www.jia.aero
- Shuttle: Shuttle services from the airport to the hotel are provided by Go Shuttle, Checker Cab and Gator Taxi. No additional information is available at this time but will be included in the USMS pre-convention packet that will be sent via email to you in August.
- Driving Directions: for those of you driving directions can be obtained by typing the following address into MapQuest or Google: Hyatt Regency Jacksonville, 225 Coastline Drive East, Jacksonville, FL 32202
- Parking: Valet parking is available at $20 per day or self park at $15 per day.
- Certification Table: The certification table will be open on Wednesday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (vendor area), Thursday 7-7:45 a.m. (vendor area), Thursday 9:15-9:45 a.m. (House of Delegates Room), Thursday afternoon through Saturday (come find Debbie Cavanaugh).
- Food: Hotel - Einstein's Bagels, Jaxx Sports Bar and Trellises Restaurant. The Jacksonville Landing - a five- minute walk from the hotel where you will find the following dining & entertaining establishments: American Café, Benny's Steak & Seafood, Chicago Pizza and Sports Grille, Cinco de Mayo, Hooters, Koja Sushi, Maverick's Rock n Honky Tonk, The Twisted Martini, Village Bread Café, Vito's Italian Café. In addition, the Jacksonville Landing also offers a food court, galleries and specialty stores in addition to live entertainment on the riverfront stage every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
LMSC Chairs: Please submit the names and contact information for your delegates ASAP to CJ Rushman.
LMSC Chairs: Please send Delegate At Large Requests to President Jeff Moxie. Deadline is July 15. Appointments will be made by the President on July 20.
Chairs of Finance, Legislation, Long Distance & Rules Committee: Please contact your committee members and report to CJ Rushman if there are any members from your committee who will not be attending convention.
Below are IMPORTANT deadlines from the Working Calendar:
July 15: Committee chairs & special appointments send their annual reports to their vice presidents using the USMS Document Template. Those who will be having a meeting at Convention also send their agendas.
July 31: Vice presidents send their committees' annual reports and agendas to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli. Members of the Executive Committee also submit their annual reports.
August 1: All proposed rule/code changes from Rules, Long Distance & Legislation due to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli from respective committee chairs, for inclusion in Convention packet.
August 1: Election Committee submits election information to Membership Coordinator Tracy Grilli for inclusion in Convention Packet.
August 31: Convention packets posted on the usms.org website and emailed to all delegates.
USMS/ASCA Masters Coaching Certification Levels I and II will be offered at USMS Annual Convention in Jacksonville, Fla. at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Certification classes willstart on Wednesday, September 14, Level I from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and Level II from 1-5 p.m. You can sign up here.
The certification courses will include:
- Knowing the adult swimmer
- Coaching triathletes and open water swimmers
- Working with special populations
- Safety/risk management
- Basic business practices
- Writing workouts
- Stroke correction and development
- Turns, transitions, and drylands
In addition you will learn the role of the Masters coach.
Why certification? The training, education, and development of professional USMS Masters coaches will provide USMS with the highest degree of aquatic leadership. One key to growing a successful adult aquatic fitness program is growing a certified, professional USMS Masters coach.
|USMS Strategic Plan|
On May 21, USMS President Jeff Moxie sent an e-mail to all House of Delegate members and LMSC representatives letting you know that USMS is updating its strategic plan. A follow-up e-mail has now been sent to LMSC Chairs and USMS Committee Chairs requesting they get input from their LMSCs leaders and committee representatives so they may complete the online survey. Your input is needed and appreciated. The Strategic Plan will be presented at this year's Convention. For more information, please contact Strategic Task Force member Phil Dodson
|SwimFest '11 a Success|
|For the third straight year, USMS hosted over 100 coaches and swimmers near Atlanta, Ga. for a three-day festival of clinics and education. On the first day, coaches were welcomed and taught level I USMS/ASCA certification. Day two was about the swimmers. While most of the coaches were taking Level II certification, swimmers met at the beautiful Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center for a rotation of clinics, underwater video analysis and one-on-one coaching tips and drills. The third day centered around gorgeous Lake Peachtree. Open water water expert Steven Munatones led a masterful classroom session along with an open water demonstration as they moved down to the lake. All participants were encouraged and given the opportunity to swim the lake and practice what they had been taught. There was nothing but positive feedback from the event and we have posted pictures on our Facebook page.|
Six LMSCs have already surpassed their 2010 membership total! Congratulations: Border, Allegheny, New Jersey, Alaska, South Dakota, and Arizona.
Each of these LMSCs has more members registered than they had for all of 2010.
Five more LMSCs are almost there: Niagara, Southeastern, Adirondack, Arkansas, and Ohio. Way to go!
|2013 Open Water and Postal Bids|
Please submit bids for the 2013 OW and Postal National Championships by August 1. Bids will also be accepted for 2012 9+ mile National Championship. The event was officially added to the rule book in 2011 and we did not have any bidders for 2012. Bids and questions can be sent to Heather Hagadorn. Further details can can be found on our Long Distance Championships webpage.
|2011 USMS Summer Nationals|
|The 2011 USMS Summer Nationals will be held at the James E. Martin Aquatic Center at Auburn University. Online registration is open for this event, which will be held August 3 - 6. A list of discounted hotels are also available. More information can be found on our Championship web page. |
|About STREAMLINES for Volunteers|
U.S. Masters Swimming encourages all USMS volunteers to subscribe to STREAMLINES for Volunteers, however if you would rather not receive this update, please do not click the unsubscribe button, as that will remove you from all other U.S. Masters Swimming National Office mailings. Rather, please click on the "Update Profile/Email Address" link at the bottom of this email. Here you can select to discontinue your STREAMLINES for Volunteers service or sign up for the monthly coaches' newsletter, STREAMLINES for Coaches, and/or the monthly member newsletter STREAMLINES.
About U.S. Masters Swimming|
U.S. Masters Swimming, founded in 1970, is
a membership-operated national governing body that promotes adult
health, fitness, wellness and competition through aquatics. It does so
by partnering with more than 1,000 adult swim programs across the
country; promoting information via the bi-monthly member magazine, SWIMMER, monthly e-newsletter, STREAMLINES, and usms.org;
and by sanctioning and promoting pool, open water and virtual
competitions. More than 50,000 adults are registered members of U.S.