|Ever hide away your talents
because of self doubt?
Question - What sabotages potential more than any other factor? The answer is self-doubt. I didn't feel 100% confident writing about this topic (!) because of our often closed British culture, but it is a topic that I feel passionately about and which comes up in ALL the coaching I do.
With more people applying for less jobs and competition getting hotter in business, it would be a real shame if you stopped your own success.
Research shows that over 85% of people suffer from low self esteem or self doubt. So why is this?
We live in a culture where it is thought egotistical to sing your own praises when actually if you don't, you miss out. It's as simple as that. There is a big difference between confidence and arrogance.
So what causes self doubt? There are many factors, and often the seeds are sown when we are very young. We create limiting beliefs and then look for evidence for the rest of our lives to support these beliefs. It's a bit like a snowball. It starts small and gathers snow and gets bigger the more we roll it.
Common causes of self-doubt
For some FREE tips to overcome self doubt, read on:
For details of the Energise Life coaching service, click on this link:
5 FREE tips to overcome self doubt
|Here's 5 tips to help you overcome self doubt:
To find out more about the impact of self doubt, read on.
- Identify the root cause - it usually starts when we are very young
- Identify your limiting beliefs and shift them. It's a bit like clearing out the loft!
- Keep a file of positive cards, e mails and messages and look at them when you need a boost
- Spend at least 10 minutes each day reflecting on successes and learnings, so you maintain a balanced perspective
- Monitor what you say to yourself - your inner mental chatter, and what affects it
For an article about Fear, click here: Fear
For an article about Beliefs, click here: Beliefs
What's the impact of self doubt?
Self doubt has huge ramifications - on success, on health, on happiness, fulfilment and relationships
In a nutshell because energy follows thought and as everything is interconnected, because we doubt ourselves, we plant a seed of doubt in others and create/reinforce what we most fear - a vicious circle.
Here's some common impacts of self doubt:
- You don't set up the business you really would love
- You don't put yourself forward for the dream job or promotion you really want
- You don't ask for help or advice
- You don't contribute a great thought in a conversation and kick yourself when someone else does
- You get a small pay rise that is less than you deserve because you didn't speak out
- You create anxiety, stress and even illness worrying aboutnot being good enough
- You put up with just ok friendships and relationships that don't really give you what you need and want
- You are needy in relationships with others, expecting them to fill the gaps in your confidence and help you feel ok about yourself
For some inspiring words from Nelson Mandela, go to the last section of this bulletin.
We hope that you have found our Energise Self Promotion Bulletin useful.
Each month we e mail 4 specific ones: Self-promotion, Human Capital, Career strategies and Smart living and working.
Click on Update profile/E mail Address at the bottom of this e mail to opt in so you receive the topics you want.
Call us on 0845 22 55 010 to find outr more about how we can help you with self promotion or e mail [email protected]
Bespoke employee performance workshops; marketing, coaching style of management, difficult conversations, high performance working
Career coaching & reinvention
Career strategy consultancy; job design & the employee value proposition
Outplacement & skills redeployment
Performance executive coaching
Self-discovery and personal vision
Smart working consultancy
If you found this bulletin useful, why not forward it to a friend or colleague? Click on the 'Forward e mail' button at the bottom of this e mail.
Remember that the most important thing in life is to be who you are and accept yourself. I like this quote:
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is."
H Jackson Browne
Rachel Brushfield, Director
Energise - liberate your talent
The Talent Liberation Company
T + 44 (0) 845 22 55 010
M +44 (0) 7973 911137