Presented by Kaiser Permanente · December 3, 2012 · Folsom to the State Capitol
Mark your calendar!
- Registration for the 30th Anniversary CIM opens on March 1.
- Enter from March 1 to March 15 for the LOW entry fee of $85!
- Enter March 16 to August 1 for $105.
- Enter August 2 to Oct. 1 for $125.
- CIM standard achievers are guaranteed an entry, Oct. 2 to Oct. 15 for $125.
- If the entry cap of 8,000 runners is not achieved by Oct. 15, entries will reopen for $145 until the cap is achieved.
While you start your training for the 30th Anniversary CIM, enjoy the following recap of the 29th Annual California International Marathon.
Runners from around the world converged on the Sacramento area for the 29th Annual California International Marathon and yet another perfect day for running. Family, friends, local fans, and entertainers turned out in force to encourage the marathoners to achieve their finish goal. Weather was ideal for the more than 13,000 athletes: sunny skies, no wind, and temperatures of 38 degrees F at the start, and 55 degrees F at the finish. The Sacramento Running Association Board would like to thank all the runners who chose the California International Marathon, 4-Person Relay, or the maraFUNrun.
Performances of note:
- Male: Erick Monyenye - Kenya (2:11:50)
- Female: Serkalem Abrha - Ethiopia (2:33:40)
- Male: Tim Tollefson - Roseville, CA (2:18:26)
- Female: Megan Daly - Sacramento, CA (2:44:23)
- Visually Impaired:
- Male: Aaron Scheidies - Seattle WA (2:48:19)
- Female: Amy McDonaugh - Irmo SC (2:49:48)
- New Age Division Records:
- Men 55-59: Brian Pilcher (2:36:18) Old record: Herb Phillips (2:38:25)
- Men 60-64: Tim Freeman (2:49:10) Old record: Terry McCluskey (2:50:45)
- Olympic Qualifiers: Congratulations to the 7 men and 25 women who qualified for the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials!
- CIM Honor Roll: All 12 of the current CIM Honor Roll finished their 29th CIM. Congratulations Michael Buzbee, Steve Haun, Bruce Mauldin, Michael Nolan, John O'Neill, Steve Polansky, Michael Ryan, Michael Ryan, Ernie Takahashi, Barry Turner, Tim Twietmeyer, and Denis Zilaff!
Unique Competitor Stories:
- "Where's the fire?" We wonder if anyone kept track of how many times fire fighter, Kyle Hamilton (4:58:41) of Folsom, CA was asked that question as he ran the entire marathon in full gear and air pack.
- She said "yes"! Patrick Crowe (2:54:35) of St. Louis Park, Minnesota took advantage of the excitement of the finish line to pop the question to Jenny DeVlieger (3:18:49), also of St. Louis Park. Crowe finished his run, changed into his suit (leaving his bib on), and with a bouquet of flowers and THE ring, got down on one knee as DeVlieger finished her run. With news cameras rolling, she said yes to a round of applause! Congratulations Patrick and Jenny!
Don't forget your Chips!
For those who did not finish or who did not return their chip at the finish, place the chip in a padded envelope or wrap in a protective covering and mail to CIM, 120 Ponderosa Ct., Folsom, CA 95630
We see all!
We are watching ...always watching. This year we found more than 20 illegal bib transfers, runners who started too early/too late, and runners who did not complete the entire course. These runners were disqualified.
Charity Entry Beneficiaries:
This year, the 300 charity entries purchased by late-entry-runners at $250 each generated $75,000. Youth fitness programs and regional running venue development and improvements will benefit from these funds. The CIM and Sacramento Running Association (SRA) give special thanks to the runners who purchased these entries.
By The Numbers
- 7,500+ marathon entrants this year, the largest CIM ever ...again!
- 1070 Relay Teams
- 2000+ maraFUNrun runners and walkers.
- $8 million+ The economic impact for the region as reported by the Sacramento CVB.
- 99 - The percentage of runners who started the marathon and crossed the finish line.
- 1207 - The number of Boston Marathon qualifiers!
A big Thank You to our wonderful Volunteers!
So many runners went out of their way to let us know how awesome our volunteers are. We love hearing such great feedback; however, truth-be-told...we already knew it!
Happy Anniversary to... US!
Most people cringe at the thought of the big 3-0 but we know we continue to improve with age. Join us next year as we celebrate 30 fabulous years of the California International Marathon!
The Sacramento Running Association Board and Staff thank YOU for choosing the CIM.