Q. What is the rationale behind the establishment of the Young Alumni Council?
A. Approximately 50% of our alumni population graduated in the last ten years. Many of these alumni are in the early stages of their careers. Obligations to family and work often require so much of their time and finances. It is the goal of the Young Alumni Council to maintain the ties between the university and the recent graduate. Using Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media, the Young Alumni Council is reaching out to share tips for career-building, financial planning and other areas of personal development while encouraging the financial support of WSSU.
Q. How is the Young Alumni Council organized?
A. We have committees that address our areas of focus and they include:
Young Alumni Engagement
- Work with already established WSSU organizations, such as National Alumni Association, Alumni Relations and Athletic Department to effectively stream communication to young alumni.
- Gather data (mailing address, employment, email) and comments from young alumni through surveys and outreach initiatives
- Develop strategies which will assist Rams during their transition from students to alumni
- Act as a liaison with current WSSU students
- Participate in Freshmen orientation activities
- Engage in high school recruitment efforts with the regional alumni chapters
- Establish programs and initiatives to increase alumni giving
- Participate in WSSU Call Programs, capital campaigns, and other WSSU giving campaigns
- Create a mindset where giving back becomes an expectation
- Devise a patient, stair-step approach towards giving
- Young Alumni Homecoming activities
- Coordinate YAC Alumni events (Return to Serve Luncheon and Panel Discussion, 40 under 40 Awards / Program and the Class Giving Competition Award ceremony)
Q. What new initiatives are you planning?
A. We are looking forward to being actively involved with the 120-hour campaign. This fund-raising effort will focus on utilizing Social Media to encourage Young Alumni to make online gifts. The Council has embraced this call for support and provided lead gifts. We also look forward to greeting our fellow Young Alumni at the three Pub Nights in Winston, Charlotte and Durham.
Very shortly we will also introduce our Young Alumni career recognition activity, 40 Under 40. We will begin to accept nominations for this award that allows us to acknowledge and highlight the professional achievements of our younger alums. The actual Award ceremony will take place in April of 2013.
Q. Are you accepting volunteers for the Council?
A. We welcome the involvement of any persons that graduated in the last 10 years. We especially call on persons from the Classes of 2008 through 2012 to join in our efforts. The impact of the Young Alumni Council is significant and we look forward to expanding our committee for more effective outreach.