Spring is coming! I am so ready for it... but also aware that as the trees and flowers begin blooming, allergies are an issue for many of us. Read my allergy prevention tips below for an allergy-free spring!
Are you ready to detoxify and energize yourself for spring? The Spring Cleanse Group will be held April 5-8 and is the perfect way to detox and energize yourself for spring! It is in teleclass format, so you can participate from anywhere. Group support is unbelievably helpful for cleansing. Register now for the low price of $40!
Wishing you a month filled with abundance, love, happiness and good food.
Spring Allergy Prevention
I used to suffer from year-round allergies that were
at their worst in the springtime. I was on a corticosteroid inhaler and took
antihistamines for six months out of the year. I had frequent colds, sinus
infections and headaches. I decided to get off the medications
and fight the allergies the natural way. This is the protocol that I have followed for the last six years. I can't promise that it will work for everyone, but I can say that I am now
medication and allergy free.
Where can I buy this stuff?
- Cut back or eliminate dairy products - especially milk and cheese.This is a biggie for me. I love cheese, but unfortunately it leads to a lot of congestion and extra mucus production for me. I have found that while I can tolerate dairy at certain times of the year, spring is the time when I need to eliminate it.
- Spring cleanse. This is the best time of year to cleanse and detox the body from winter's excesses. Cleansing the body now will help your body deal with allergies.
- Neti pot. The neti pot is a great tool for irrigating your
sinuses. It is excellent for preventing and providing relief from allergies,
sinus infections, and colds. 1/2 tsp. of sea salt is mixed with warm water. The
spout of the neti pot is placed in one nostril. Tilt your head to the side and
the salt water goes through your sinuses and drains out the other nostril. It
is safe, simple and effective. Use it first thing in the morning as part of
your bathroom routine, or more often as needed
- Green Magma Barley Grass supplement.
Mix 2 tsp. barley grass with 8oz. of water and drink it
first thing in the morning. Besides providing allergy relief, it is full of
nutrients that will give you an energy boost.
- Local bee pollen* or local honey.
Bee Pollen* reduces sensitivity to pollen allergies. 1 tsp. in the morning is sufficient after checking for allergic reaction (see below). It is best to start taking bee
pollen one month before allergy season begins and continue taking it throughout
Zicam Allergy Relief is a homeopathic remedy that is put in
your nose several times a day. If you start feeling your allergies, use this
instead of antihistamines.
Neti pot, barley grass and bee pollen can found at health food stores such as Whole
Foods. Zicam Allergy Relief can be found at the drug store.
*Bee pollen warning - Before taking a full dose of bee pollen it is very important to test for
a possible extreme allergic reaction by ingesting just one pellet. Then
gradually build up over a week or so to the correct dose.
Amaranth for Breakfast!
I've recently discovered the grain Amaranth, which is high in protein, iron and calcium as well as wheat and gluten-free. It is a nice breakfast alternative to oatmeal. I put the same add-ins that I put in my oatmeal - making it even yummier and more nutritious! I find adding protein and good fats (Omega-3s) to my breakfast keeps me full longer and my energy balanced.
1/2 cup amaranth
1 cup water
1. Bring water and amaranth to a boil.
2. Simmer for 20-25 minutes (use a timer while you do something else!)
- maple syrup or agave nectar - sweetener
- raisins, figs - sweetener
- almonds - protein
- flax meal/chia seed - Omega 3's
- rice/soy/almond or hemp milk