Healthy Vegetable Lentil Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3, 14.5 oz cans low sodium beef broth
- 1, 14.5 oz cans diced no salt added tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bay leaves
- Garlic powder and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the lentils and rice and add them to the pot with broth, bay leaves, and diced tomatoes (include the broth). Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Chop the celery, carrots, and onions into uniform pieces and add to pot.
3. Season with garlic powder and pepper to taste.
4. Reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until the vegetables and rice are tender.
5. Remove pot from burner and add frozen corn.
6. Serve immediately or when cooled or you can freeze to serve later.
Nutritional information: Serving size: 1/6 of above recipe. 106 calories, .5 grams of fat, 5.2 grams of protein, 22.1 grams of carbohydrates, and 5.4 grams of fiber.