Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole roasting chicken, 3 lbs.
- 6 new potatoes cut in half
- 1 lb baby-cut carrots
- 1/2 pound green beans
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, marjoram, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon lemon peel.
3. Cut remaining lemon into fourths and place in cavity of the chicken.
4. Fold wings of chicken across back and tie or skewer drumsticks to tail. Place chicken breast side up in shallow roasting pan.
5. Brush oil mixture on chicken, keep some of the mixture for later use.
6. Insert meat thermometer in chicken so the tip is in the thickest part of the inside thigh muscle and does not touch bone.
7. Roast chicken alone in roasting pan, uncovered for 45 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes, carrots and green beans around the chicken and brush everything with remaining oil mixture.
9. Roast uncovered for an additional 30-45 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit and it is no longer pink when the center of the thigh is cut.
10. Remove from oven and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. Remove lemon and discard.
Nutritional information: Serving size: 1/6 of above recipe. 385 calories, 13 grams of fat, 23 grams of protein, 46 grams of carbohydrates, and 274 mg of sodium.