Quick and Hearty Vegetable Soup
Serving size: 4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, tops removed, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14oz. can chick peas, rinsed
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute onions, carrots, celery in olive oil over medium heat approximately two minutes. Add zucchini, broccoli, green beans. Saute for approximately five minutes.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. Add chick peas, tomato with juice, and barley.
4. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Continue to simmer until it reaches desired consistency. If too thick, add water or broth.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
Nutritional information: 390 calories, 10 gram of fat, 57 grams of carbohydrate, 14 grams of dietary fiber, 22 grams of protein.
-Can use frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh. Add with broth, do not saute as with fresh vegetables.
-Can substitute 1 cup whole-wheat pasta or rice for barley.
(From The Food Processor SQL)