The guest speaker at the November 17th meeting was Certified Personal Trainer and Nutrition Consultant Lee Ann Edwards of Rose City Wellness. Her top 10 wellness tips are basic but effective:
1. Move at least 60 minutes most days of the week.
2. Avoid or limit alcohol, refined sugar, deep-fried foods and salty snack foods.
3. Eat primarily fruits and vegetables.
4. Focus on the right quanity of quality carbs - oatmeal, rice, quinoa, buckwheat, potatoes, sweets potatoes and squash.
5. Eat a carb and a protein at every meal.
6. Plan meals weekly; cook and eat at home primarily.
7. Get your heart rate up 5 times a week for 30 minutes.
8. Do some type of resistance training at least 2 days a week, working all parts of the body.
9. Take time out to pray, meditate and/or journal every day.
10. Get plenty of rest and enjoy activities with friends and family.
Thanks to Pam Smith for arranging for Lee Ann to inspire us in her "sane yet fun approach to fitness and permanent weight loss."