News from members / other organizations / media
(keep yourself posted with the event calendar at www.decc.ee/events/upcoming-events)
January - June 2012
Danish presidency of the council of the European Union. More info from here.
The British Estonian Chamber of Commerce has AGM
British and German chamber members have a joint bowling event.
Swedish and Finnish chambers of commerce have their annual floor hockey tournament
The Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Estonia is invites to Tallinn TV-tower visit
British-Estonian Chamber of Commerce holds an annual Golf Tournament at Niitvälja
British-Estonian Chamber of Commerce is organizing a London Trade Mission. More information about the program and costs, please click here.
News from Copenhagen Post and Baltic Business News
* Denmark has its first "savious sibling". For any parent it would be a terrible dilemma. Their child is desperately ill with a rare disease and their only hope is to create a compatible donor by having another baby specifically designed to save the first child. Is this a valid reason to bring a child into the world? They are called 'spare parts babies' or 'saviour siblings' and Denmark now has its first.
Aarhus University Hospital recently announced that, after trying for five years, a couple was successful in conceiving a baby whose stem cells could be used to rescue the life of their seriously ill older child. The baby, a boy, is now nine months old. The news has once again sparked the debate surrounding the ethics of designing a child whose principal role is to supply the umbilical cord blood and stem cells needed to save the life of a sibling. Read further.
* Illegal immigrants flocking to Denmark. There are enough illegal immigrants in Denmark to populate a medium-sized town, and their numbers are growing, according to estimates from police. Although pinpointing the exact number of illegal immigrants is difficult, the police approximate that the number is somewhere between 20,000 and 50,000, reports police union magazine Dansk Politi. Read further.
* Beer is really an essential service. In a ruling designed to prevent brewery workers from striking over pay and working conditions, lawyers representing the Carlsberg brewery in Lithuania have managed to convince a court in that country to classify beer as an "essential service". Workers classified as essential are banned by law from striking. Employees of the Danish beer giant's brewery in Lithuania had voted to strike but were prevented from doing so after the court ruled that beer is an essential service in the same category as medical supplies and water. Read further.
2012 trade fair calendar in Denmark:
April 13-15, 2012 "Hunting & Outdoor 2012" (Odense). Read more click here.
April 26-28, 2012 "Scandefa 2012" (Copenhagen) dentalfair. More info click here.
May 22-24, 2012 "Health and Rehab Scandinavia" (Copenhagen). More info click here.
May 30-June 1, 2012 "MonitorExpo 2012" (Copenhagen) fair on professional communication via pictures, sound and light. More information click here.
August, 2012 "Formland Expo 2012" (Herning). For professionals working in the field of decoration, home and office design, furniture, lightening, fabrics, handicraft products, gifts, souvenirs, etc.
September 2012 "Automatik 2012" (Herning). Read more click here.
October 9-11, 2012 "Copenhagen International Clean Energy Fair". Read more click here.
November 2012 "Food Pharma Tech" (Herning). Trade fair for machinery, packaging, and ingredients for food and pharma industry.
November 2012 "Agromek 2012" (Herning). Agricultural trade fair.
2012 trade fair calendar in Estonia:
- Tallinn fair center Eesti Näitused and,
- Tartu fair center Tartu Näitused.
You can find a list of trade fair organizers for both Estonia and Denmark at our website.
* Follow the news on the Danish Culture events in Estonia at Facebook - click here.
* Follow the news on the Danish-Estonian Chamber of Commerce at Facebook - click here.