News from members / other organizations / media
(keep yourself posted with the event calendar at www.decc.ee/events/upcoming-events)
January - June 2012
Danish presidency of the council of the European Union. More info from here.
Our chamber member organization My Conference is once again organizing a seminar for executive women "The Power of Personal Brand" - most people don't brag well, coming off as self-congratulatory, egocentric or downright annoying. During this seminar we would like to find out which would be the right way to brag leaving people (clients, employees, bosses, etc) wanting to know more about you rather than less... Further information from here.
Annual General Meeting of the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Estonia.
Business Breakfast at Technopolis Ülemiste on "Thinking models and tools of an effective sales manager". Speakers: Mr Heikki Koski (Trainers House) talking about how to achieve even higher goals with new techniques, and Mr Raul Vatsar (Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences) will talk about why and how to enter foreign markets and whom to hire to represent your product. Event is partly English, partly Estonian, but free of charge for anyone. More information from here.
MAQS Law Firm is inviting to a breakfast seminar (in Estonian) on real estate law. Under discussion: taxing changes, rental payments, court practise. The event takes place from 08:00-10:00 is free of charge, and includes breakfast. For further information click here, for registration please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
1st women in leadership luncheon by AmCham "Living with Passion, Purpose and Balance". Speakers: Mrs Keit Pentus, Hallie Polt, Veronika Prikrylova. Event takes place at Radisson Olümpia hotel, participation fee 20 €. More information and registration here.
The Estonian travel trade fair Tourest 2012 is taking place. Please download your free of charge invite from here.
National holiday in Estonia for the celebration of the Estonia's Republic's 94th anniversary
News from Copenhagen Post
* DSB to close travel agencies and lay-off hundreds. State-owned train operator DSB has announced it will shut down its travel agency business on June 1 as part of a massive cost-savings plan that the company hopes will set it back on track. The decision came after year-end reports revealed DSB was running massive deficits; in the first three quarters of 2011, the budget shortfall topped half a billion kroner despite increases in earnings and passengers. However, the business growth has failed to keep pace with spending, largely due to investment losses on the scandal-ridden IC4 train upgrades. Read more.
* December retail sales disappoint. The economic crisis is being blamed for a 0.1 percent drop in retail sales between November and December in the run-up to Christmas. Despite a 0.8 percent rise in the sale of clothes, and a 0.5 percent rise in the sale of other consumer items, a 1.1 percent drop in the sale of staple goods dragged the total retail sales down for the month. Chamber of commerce Dansk Erhverv called the figures, released by Statistics Denmark, disappointing. "The retail turnover index for December 2011 is the lowest December index since 2003," Bo Sandberg, from Dansk Erhverv, said. "Taking the average for the year, we have to go all the way back to 2004 to find a worse year for the retail industry."
And according to Niels Rønholt, from Jyske Bank, there is no indication that this year will be any different. "Turnover remained flat through the second half of 2011 and that picture does not change after today's numbers for December. A flat development is the same as a recession because normally retail sales should increase," Rønholt said, adding that the drop in house prices over the autumn was not an optimistic sign. Read more.
* Government targets illegally operating foreign companies. In the second half of 2010 the work inspection authority Arbejdstilsynet uncovered and reported 67 cases of foreign firms operating illegally and undercover in Denmark. In the second half of 2011, they discovered 138 cases - double as many. The reason for the doubling, according to Hasse Mortensen, the director of oversight at Arbejdstilsynet Zealand, is that they began using an electronic registration system called RUT which allows investigators to cross-check the foreign companies with other departments like the tax authority Skat and the police. "We have really prioritised RUT registration, because it enables us to carry out inspections and it also lets Skat keep its eye on the companies," Mortensen said.
The digital registrations also enable Arbejdstilsynet to compare the various building companies' claims regarding specific jobs. Discrepancies can point out cases where companies may be trying to cheat the system. Foreign companies with employees working in Denmark are required to register with Arbejdstilsynet. The penalty for not doing so is a 10,000 kroner fine for the foreign company and an equal fine for the person or firm that hired them. Read more.
2012 trade fair calendar in Denmark:
February 24-March 4 "International Boat Show". More info click here.
February 24-26, 2012 "Ferie for Alle" (Herning). Read more click here.
March 20-22, 2012 "Foodexpo 2012" (Herning). Read more click here.
April 13-15, 2012 "Hunting & Outdoor 2012" (Odense). Read more click here.
April 26-28, 2012 "Scandefa 2012" (Copenhagen) dentalfair. More info click here.
May 22-24, 2012 "Health and Rehab Scandinavia" (Copenhagen). More info click here.
May 30-June 1, 2012 "MonitorExpo 2012" (Copenhagen) fair on professional communication via pictures, sound and light. More information click here.
August, 2012 "Formland Expo 2012" (Herning). For professionals working in the field of decoration, home and office design, furniture, lightening, fabrics, handicraft products, gifts, souvenirs, etc.
September 2012 "Automatik 2012" (Herning). Read more click here.
October 9-11, 2012 "Copenhagen International Clean Energy Fair". Read more click here.
November 2012 "Food Pharma Tech" (Herning). Trade fair for machinery, packaging, and ingredients for food and pharma industry.
November 2012 "Agromek 2012" (Herning). Agricultural trade fair.
2012 trade fair calendar in Estonia:
- Tallinn fair center Eesti Näitused and,
- Tartu fair center Tartu Näitused.
You can find a list of trade fair organizers for both Estonia and Denmark at our website.
* Follow the news on the Danish Culture events in Estonia at Facebook - click here.
* Follow the news on the Danish-Estonian Chamber of Commerce at Facebook - click here.