With Diced Smoked Chicken
This recipe was given to us in the early 1990s from Houston's Restaurant and SmokinTex has modified it many times by adding leftover smoked chicken or smoked turkey.
Houston's Canadian Cheese Soup
1 cup carrots (minced 1/8")
1 cup yellow onions (minced 1/8")
1 cup celery (minced 1/8")
1/4 lb. margarine or butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups Campbell's chicken broth
3 cups half & half
2 lbs. Velveeta cheese (cut into small chunks)
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped fine)
1 or 2 cups smoked/cooked diced chicken or turkey
1. Melt margarine or butter in large skillet. Add all the vegetables at once and saute until soft but not brown.
2. Add flour and stir to combine. Cook until it begins to turn a light brown color.
3. Over a medium high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time. Stir and continue to cook with a whisk until a thick base is formed.
4. Add half & half, being careful not to let it boil.
5. Add cheese to soup, stirring until melted.
6. Add smoked chicken or turkey.
7. Add 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley before serving.
Garnish with diced tomatoes and diced jalapenos as desired.
It is great with or without garnish.
Serve this to your family and friends and they will go wild for it!
Have a SOUP NIGHT PARTY and let everyone bring their favorite soup, then vote on the best soup. We already know which one will win!