|Bon Jour, Konichi-wa, Shalom, and Hello - here's The Eleven, my monthly e-letter where I synthesize my thinking, share some upcoming events and recommend an action or two that I think will make the world a better place. |
|Trees: Our neighborhood tree planting is Saturday, March 12th. Please join us. |
On Sunday, 3/13 from 2-4 I've scheduled my 4th Facebook/Facebook Fan Pages class at The Happy Clam. I've taught these classes for the past month, and charge $11. They help get some basic/useful information out to people while giving me a chance to flex my teaching muscle. I'm having a blast with it and the information seems to be timely for those who've taken the class. I've also met some new people one-person-removed from my circle - expanding the circles is good! I will offer a class in e-mail marketing and how one can weave together with social networking to help people get the word out about their cause/product/service/thinking soon. An on-line version of this is also in the works.
Work: for the past 6 months I've been lucky/privileged to work at a fantastic digital agency called ISITE Design. ISITE has about 55 employees mostly located in Portland with a few in Boston and elsewhere. They do great CMS-powered websites and it's a place full of very smart people. I filled in for someone who was on maternity leave and now that she's back I'm moving on. I don't think I've ever worked with such a savvy collection of people before and it's given me a lot of ideas of how I'd like to collaborate and work in the future. Starting next Thursday! With that said, I am actively looking for my next work assignment - either a QA position in the Portland Metro area or... I may be moving into the social networking/email marketing/teaching/guiding arena. Stay tuned. As always, if you have a lead or someone who I absolutely must meet, feel free to introduce us! Thanks.
I've also been teaching guitar. Have a guitar? Want to learn to lead singalongs? Get in touch! I charge $20/hr.
On the work note, if you live in Portland and are in the high-tech field, I keep a list of high-tech recruiters handy. I am happy to send along any resume to this list (built up over 8 years..) if you'll include a paragraph explaining what you're looking for and how you can be reached. I also have a similar list for Seattle high-tech recruiters, but I'm not sure what shape that's in :)
World: Well, how about the world, eh? Wisconsin. Egypt. Libya. Washington, DC. Bradley Manning. It's all moving a bit quickly, isn't it? Or, it sure feels that way. I'm especially heartened by the citizen revolt happening in Madison, Wisconsin. And, I got so excited by the events in Egypt I created some instant songs for Egypt. Which led to my friend, Ben Laden, creating a song about Tunesia!
On the horizon: I'm turning 50 on May 11th, 2011. Yeah, I know, really? I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to spend May 11th, but I'm sure it will be good. And to help me celebrate the big 5-0, I'm planning a little gardening party on Saturday, May 14th. The details are coming into focus, and it looks like we'll be working to transform an empty, grassy lot in inner Northeast Portland into a thriving community garden. Right now the 105' x 55' lot looks like this:
Please save the date, Saturday, May 14th and feel free to RSVP. I/we will probably do a Kickstarter to raise money for the project, so don't send all your money to the Wisconsin Democratic Party, save some for the Birthday Garden, or whatever name we give it.
Art: We'll be hosting Marcia Wiley and Wileyware at an open house @ The Happy Clam on Saturday April 2nd and Sunday April 3rd. It looks like Lori Mortenson, who makes incredible dicro glass beaded necklaces, bracelets and earrings will be joining Marcia on Sunday, April 3rd.
|Photo by Bill Fantini|
There's always so much more. Here's eleven items in no particular order:
- I've been doing Weightwatchers for more than a month. I like it, and have lost some weight. My goal is to hit the 180s by my birthday
- An interesting article sent to me by my friend, Jeff Cohen about Repackaging Yourself to Save Your Career - it's in an on-line magazine format, but workable.
- 10 Mindful Ways to Use Social Media - which led me to post this as my status for a couple days - "Is there anything I can do to help or support you today?" which led to all sorts of wonderfulness - please, try it and tell me how it goes.
- Better Facebook - a recommendation by one of my class attendees, Nolan - some interesting overlays to FB.
- My brother, Dan, is living in Ireland for a month!
- Tickets for my new favorite music/art/dance festival, Beloved (August 11-15) will probably go on sale soon.
- The US is not Broke! speech by Michael Moore
- I have a crush on Rachel Maddow
- Thanks for reading along and I hope life is treating you well. To my
- many friends - thank you for your support, love, kindness, and thinking - have a great month!
- Don't grow up, grow vegetables!