Greetings from Friday Harbor!
The days are getting shorter and the air cooler, and the Island is poised for the 'quiet season.' When I get asked what is winter like, I usually reply, "quiet, cold, dark and long." Their next question is, "Do you get many visitors during the winter?" "Yes," I reply, "they come for the holidays, to visit family, and relax by the fire place and hot tub." Despite this being dubbed the 'quiet time of year', visitors and locals alike can find something to do on San Juan Island. Here are some of our favorite winter activities:
1. Visit the Farmer's Market. The San Juan Island Winter market is held on the first and third Saturday through December and then once a month through March. Erin is there with Mollie's Doggie Biscuits!
2. Enjoy a bonfire at South Beach under a beautiful star-filled night.
3. Attend San Juan Singer's performance of John Rutter's Magnificat with guest conductor Yariv Aloni of the Victoria Chamber Orchestra December 19 & 20. Check out Anna Maria in the orchestra.
4. Play a pick-up game of ping pong or badminton Monday and Friday nights at the High School Gym.
4. Attend the Memorial Park Tree Lighting and Parade of Ships December 5th.
6. Watch a movie at the Palace.
7. Roll a strike at Paradise Lanes.
8. Look for J-46, the newest member of J-Pod, discovered a few weeks ago with its Mother, J-28.
9. Help the San Juan Preservation Trust count Trumpeter Swans.
10. Invite over some friends, open a bottle of wine and enjoy a great meal and fabulous conversation.
The last one is definitely one of our favorites. We love pot lucks or quiet evenings at the Inns when we cook up some savory comfort food - Smoked Venison Chilli, Savory Pizzas, Veal Parmesan and Pasta. (We get our veal from Heritage Farms here on the Island.)
But after thinking about all these fabulous activities along with our new found time that we enjoy during the 'quiet' season, I need to work on my response when asked, "What is winter like?" I am invigorated and ready to welcome winter. So if you thought of San Juan Island as only the place for summer, think again.
Our best to you and yours for the holidays and don't forget to check out our featured recipe. They will be a great addition to your holiday table.
With warm regards,
Anna Maria and Dave