(Saw this in the cooking club magazine and had to try it. Perfect for the holiday season. ENJOY!)
Ingredients: (makes 36 bars.)
1/2 cup chocolate mint chips.
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
1 1/4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
3/4 cup chocolate mint chips, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
2 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. Heat 1/2 cup chocolate mint chips and 1/4 cup butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until melted, stiring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in cookie crumbs. Press into bottom of pan.
2. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until fragrant. Cool completely on wire rack.
3. Heat 1/2 cup of chocolate mint chips and 1 tablespoon of the butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature.
4. Beat remaining 1/4 cup butter and cream cheese in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Beat in 2 tablespoons cream and peppermint and vanilla extracts. Reduce speed to low, beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Slowly beat in powdered sugar. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chocolate mint chips. spread over crust, smooth top. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until set.
5. Meanwhile, place chopped chocolate in medium bowl. Bring 1/3 cup cream to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat; pour over chocolate. Let stand 1 minute; stir until smooth. cool at room temperature 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened but still pourable. Spread over filling, sprinkle with peppermint candies. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Store in refrigerator.